• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ranking the NFC South defensive backs

jbland

That list can't be taken seriously, NO with 4 in the top 10. That is beyond laughable.

The worst Defense in the division, worst secondary in the division, but the most talent in the secondary? right............

That list can't be taken seriously, NO with 4 in the top 10. That is beyond laughable.

The worst Defense in the division, worst secondary in the division, but the most talent in the secondary? right............

Agreed.

Most talent is not necessarily the best player. Mike Vick was one of the most talented players to ever enter the NFL but he was certainly not an elite QB. Chris Houston is probably the most talented corner in our division but he's not the best. Talent does not equal success.

Agreed.

Most talent is not necessarily the best player. Mike Vick was one of the most talented players to ever enter the NFL but he was certainly not an elite QB. Chris Houston is probably the most talented corner in our division but he's not the best. Talent does not equal success.

Chris Houston more talented than Gamble I don't think so.

that special teams play has nothing to do w/ my knock on him. Every year he has been in Carolina outside last season he has repeatedly given up big plays in coverage. The one season (last year) he didn't do that he happen to play on the opposite side of the field from Lucas/Godrey who probably couldn't shut down a combo of David Carr and Keary Colbert the 2nd half of the season......for me, that isn't a sure sign Gamble has made an improvement over what he has always been......which is a good corner who has a habit of giving up big plays. The shutdown comment has no business in that article. You can say he is the best in the NFCS and I have no problem w/ that.

So your whole argument is how many plays he has missed without a shred of proof and you admit he was pretty awesome last year and we're supposed to run with that? Wow...

So your whole argument is how many plays he has missed without a shred of proof and you admit he was pretty awesome last year and we're supposed to run with that? Wow...

um, I never said or implied he was awesome last year. I said last season was the only year in Carolina he hasn't consistantly given up huge plays. I said last year the opposite said of the field as so bad that people act like it was a sign of a great improvement on Gamble's part b/c offenses were abusing the other side the 2nd half of the season. To me Lucas/Godfrey were just terrible that 2nd half of the year....Gamble just continued being the same Gamble as far as I'm concerned.

Gamble has been in position to make plays but more times than not he doesn't take advantage of them.......except for picking up fumbles but that has little to do w/ his coverage and ability to pick off passes that are gift wrapped.

So you think he is a shutdown corner? I have acknowledge he is good and probably the best in the NFCS.....but to state he is a shutdown corner(like in that article) is laughable based on his career to date.

um, I never said or implied he was awesome last year. I said last season was the only year in Carolina he hasn't consistantly given up huge plays. I said last year the opposite said of the field as so bad that people act like it was a sign of a great improvement on Gamble's part b/c offenses were abusing the other side the 2nd half of the season. To me Lucas/Godfrey were just terrible that 2nd half of the year....Gamble just continued being the same Gamble as far as I'm concerned.

Gamble has been in position to make plays but more times than not he doesn't take advantage of them.......except for picking up fumbles but that has little to do w/ his coverage and ability to pick off passes that are gift wrapped.

So you think he is a shutdown corner? I have acknowledge he is good and probably the best in the NFCS.....but to state he is a shutdown corner(like in that article) is laughable based on his career to date.

Did I say shut down at any time. I don't think so...

I seem to remember that last year our CB's were flagged for pass interference the fewest times in the league. A deep pass interference call is the same as getting burned deep. Plenty of teams give up big yards on pass interference every year. Last year, we weren't one of them.

Not true.

SD: Vincent Jackson 3 catches 47 yards and a TD.

CHI: I don't even know who their #1 receiver is

Minny: Bernard Berrian 3 catches for 79 yards

ATL: Roddy White 7 catches 90 yards

KC: Dwayne Bowe 5 catches 57 yards

TB: Bryant 1 catch for 13 yards

NO: Devery Henderson (Colston was out) 3 catches 80 yards

Ariz: Fitz 7 for 115

Oak: Their leading receiver had 22 catches for the season.

DET: Calvin Johnson 6 for 65 and a TD

ATL: White again 4 catches 70 yards

GB: Jennings 8 for 91 and a TD

TB: Bryant 9 for 200 and 2 TDs

DEN: Marshall 5 for 48

NYG: No receiver did much so i don't really know who their #1 receiver was for that time

NO: Colston 7 for 123 and a TD

Overall solid #s but far from shutdown.

SD: Wrong, Gamble covered Chambers in that game. Jackson had not taken the WR1 position yet and was moved around like crazy away from Gamble in fact

CHI: Rasheid Davis...held to 19yards after numerous pass deflections. (that should have been picks)

Minny: you got me on this one

ATL: Roddy White was held to no TD. That is impressive

KC: Shut down Bowe. (Who by the way was on Lucas' side a lot in that game)

Bryant: Bingo 13yrds

NO: Henderson was covered by Lucas most of that game. Gamble duked it out with Moore and it wasn't much of a duke. 10yrds of Moore

Fitz: He is Fitzgerald...what more needs to be said ( I would love to see him go against scrabble and see how many yards he gets)

Oak: Threw in Gamble's direction twice the whole game and sure enough he got an INT

DET: Johnson made a fool out of him and our entire secondary...humbling

ATL: White once again no TD...and a fumble

GB: Lucas was on Jennings. talk to Trgo

TB: Bryant was manned on Lucas for most of that game. There was only one big play allowed in Gamble's direction and Godfrey admitted he screwed up

DEN: Marshall was covered by Lucas too, Gamble was matched up with Royal most of that game

NYG: Steve Smith went against Gamble in this game. I don't think Smith had up to 50yrds.

N.O: Gamble was on Moore. Blame Trgo.

If you don't believe me, look up some highlights and you'll see that Gamble is merely a stationary piece in Trgo's defensive. We don't move him to cover a specific WR, we just leave him at the Left CB spot and whoever walks over to that spot is who he covers.

Archived