• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gantt in the Observer?

Mr. Scot

Go to the Observer's online page today and you'll see a link to a story by Darin Gantt.

Specifically, this one: Football for Smith, Futbol for his son

Although credited to "Darin Gantt: The Rock Hill Herald", the link does not take you to the Herald page, but to a page on the Observer site that reprints the Herald version of the story (found here).

The Observer and the Herald are run by the same syndicate (McClatchy) so it's not a huge leap. Still, it does make me wonder if maybe the Observer is getting tired of the perception that their coverage of a team in their own city isn't quite as high quality as that of a nearby paper from a smaller town.

Could be just a one time thing, of course, but you never know.

Thought I read somewhere that Gantt actually lives in Charlotte.

And FB, that struck me too. The Observer offices are right next to the stadium. Their guys could literally walk over to the practice fields, and yet you haven't heard a peep out of them for a week now.

That's inexcusable :nonod:

Pretty much.

I just don't get it. They're the big team in town, and they're right there. Steve Reed's out there. Gantt's out there. Both of them are solo acts from smaller operations. You've got a passel of people whose job it is to cover them, and not one of them could be out there on a daily basis?

Come on :nonod:

The Herald and the Observer are owned by the same company, McClatchy, like you said. This isn't the first time this has happened.

Might be, but I didn't remember seeing it before.

Would you agree the Observer's lack of updates is inexcusable?

Might be, but I didn't remember seeing it before.

Would you agree the Observer's lack of updates is inexcusable?

No question about that. Only thing I can think of is that they are on vacation, which would not make sense, but since when have they done anything that makes sense.

Maybe this thread will shame the lurkers @ the Observer into doing something about it? We KNOW some of these peeps have to lurk here judging by some of the things they write about. :)

Maybe they are too busy lurking and posting here to be writing updates?

I say we start a witch hunt to find the people with the most posts on here and accuse them of being deadbeat Observer sports writers.

Gantt's stories have been in the Observer before and likewise for the Observer's writers. I think what happens is if they need some filler or if Gantt has a "scoop" they run his work in the Observer. He does live in Charlotte and rarely darkens the halls of the Herald office from what I have been told. He files his stories over the internet. His only area of responsibility is the Panthers and nothing else. Thats why he is always at practice and any official function of the team. He is looking for something to do to get him out of the house! I'm glad he stays on top of things because if you want to know whats going on with the Panthers Darin is "The Man"!

Archived