• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

City is running out of options in effort to tie Panthers to Charlotte

SCP

It's irritating because the state is willing to play chicken with an unknown owner or ownership group that buys after Jerry dies. Every other team in the NFL that has asked for public assistance has received it, even Buffalo.

I might be wrong but aren't most teams publicly owned? So it would make more sense? Aren't there only a handful of PSL type teams? Kind of a grey area when talking public money at that point it seems to me.

But two things to note here is that JR should sell the team to someone who will keep it here if he truley wants it to be here, or are there not preparations he could take to ensure the team stays here? As far as money and politics are concerned I think it's a huge joke that any political bullshit can take away this team and that even though Charlotte can and will pay a lot they can just say no. What will they say when a new owner needs a new stadium? Eventually we won't have a team regardless if we have morons in office.

As someone who lives in Charlotte, I have no problem paying this for the team. I think it's incredibly stupid the politicians decide the only thing worthwhile in Charlotte is no important, private or public. I have news for all you 'lived here all my life' residents of Charlotte, the Panthers is the ONLY thing worth a poo in this city, no better reason to come here.

You know what's really stupid about this, 5 years from now we'll be paying the new owner 3x as much as the Panthers are currently asking for to stay - so lets hope we can get at least a 10 year tether out of this.

200 mil is a bargain for a 15 year tether, but the pinheads in Raleigh are too busy playing politics.

Charlotte needs to work on getting out from under Raleigh's thumb. Charlotte should be able to raise it's own taxes without approval from these ass-clowns.

I might be wrong but aren't most teams publicly owned? So it would make more sense? Aren't there only a handful of PSL type teams? Kind of a grey area when talking public money at that point it seems to me.

But two things to note here is that JR should sell the team to someone who will keep it here if he truley wants it to be here, or are there not preparations he could take to ensure the team stays here? As far as money and politics are concerned I think it's a huge joke that any political bullshit can take away this team and that even though Charlotte can and will pay a lot they can just say no. What will they say when a new owner needs a new stadium? Eventually we won't have a team regardless if we have morons in office.

As someone who lives in Charlotte, I have no problem paying this for the team. I think it's incredibly stupid the politicians decide the only thing worthwhile in Charlotte is no important, private or public. I have news for all you 'lived here all my life' residents of Charlotte, the Panthers is the ONLY thing worth a poo in this city, no better reason to come here.

No, the Packers are the only publicly owned team.

JR's emotionally blackmailing Charlotte and NC to give him money he doesn't need in a time where the government's shutting down essential services and the governor's the bad guy?

Good to see everyone's priorities are in order.

McCrory, that hypocritical bastard that gave his own cabinet raises while cutting unemployment benefits? Yeah, he's definitely a bad guy.

JR's emotionally blackmailing Charlotte and NC to give him money he doesn't need in a time where the government's shutting down essential services and the governor's the bad guy?

FU this the same guy that pushed along the Nascar Museum that is losing money. The white water center and PNC arena for a Hockey team in the south. But yeah let's say no to the team that actually makes money and gives the state world wide recognition.

It's not as much about JR needing the money as it is him trying to get some buy in from the city and state to make it more difficult for his successor to move the team. As it sits right now, the Panthers are the easiest team to relocate because of the lack of any type of buyout due the city or state. A new owner can move this team with little to no financial penalty.

Sorry to interupt your JR is evil BS.

FU this the same guy that pushed along the Nascar Museum that is losing money. The white water center and PNC arena for a Hockey team in the south. But yeah let's say no to the team that actually makes money and gives the state world wide recognition.

Don't expect Delhommey to make any sense.

It's not as much about JR needing the money as it is him trying to get some buy in from the city and state to make it more difficult for his successor to move the team. As it sits right now, the Panthers are the easiest team to relocate because of the lack of any type of buyout due the city or state. A new owner can move this team with little to no financial penalty.

Sorry to interupt your JR is evil BS.

Asked Wednesday why the team couldn't pay its own way, Richardson said, in short, because they don't have to. NFL teams, he said, "are so coveted, they don't have to pay. There are only 32."

http://www.wral.com/panthers-owner-city-seek-legislative-approval-/12100989/

I'll take a direct quote over wishful speculation.

I don't think he even read the excerpts from the article before he bloviated.

The only reason McCrory is all of a sudden acting fiscally conservative is that, in my opinion, he has his eyes on the White House. All he cares about is his political future.

http://www.wral.com/panthers-owner-city-seek-legislative-approval-/12100989/

I'll take a direct quote over wishful speculation.

How is that emotional blackmail? He's right. If the state and city don't ante up, then another city/state will be ready to do so if the new owner decides to move. The only way to make that move more difficult is to tether the team to Charlotte by using state and local funds. If they don't put some skin in the game, nothing stops the new owner from appeasing another city coveting a franchise.

Archived