• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

City is running out of options in effort to tie Panthers to Charlotte

SCP

Why pay 200 million now for a 15 year tether when you can pay 3x that much to the next owner?

BRILLIANT!

I think I understand why the state doesn't have the money now...

Still don't understand why the state would block Charlotte from raising it's own tax on prepared food and bevs by .5% for a period of 15 years?

Sounds like the existing convention center funds proposal has passed through the state legislature today but that still leaves about a $98 million short fall. Will be interesting to see how this effects the 15 year tether. Probably cut it in half?

I'm hoping we can squeeze 10 years out of it... if JR really wants to see the Panthers stay in CLT then a 100 mil dollar investment should provide him enough justification to give us a 10 year tether.

Bills got a 10 year tether for a 94 mil dollar investment, but only 8 of it is a "hard" tether so the team could buy itself out of that during the last two years.

I'm hoping we can squeeze 10 years out of it... if JR really wants to see the Panthers stay in CLT then a 100 mil dollar investment should provide him enough justification to give us a 10 year tether.

Bills got a 10 year tether for a 94 mil dollar investment, but only 8 of it is a "hard" tether so the team could buy itself out of that during the last two years.

Good point. That Bills deal is probably what ours will end up looking like.

So I guess we're going to have to try to get a 10 year tether for 88 mil...

City officials say the existing occupancy tax could generate $110 million for the stadium, the Convention Center and amateur sports. Mitchell estimated Thursday that about 80 percent of that, or $88 million, might be available for the stadium.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/04/11/3976157/after-senate-vote-stadium-talks.html

Correction, NC deserves to lose this franchise... can secede from NC and join SC?

Team should be renamed CHARLOTTE PANTHERS.

They can change the name to Mint Street Panthers as long as they are here in 30 years for my son to take his kids to games.

McCrory was in JR's suite for the Broncos game this past year, I bet that's the last time that happens.

JR should invite him to attend a game this coming year and then seat him at the top in the end-zone section of the 500 level.

He can walk his frumpy ass up the ramps and watch the game on the video board he didn't want to invest in upgrading.

As much as this tics me off ( no state help), I can hardly believe the NFL would let any new owner pull this team out of the Carolinas. People are still pouring into this region which is one of the few economic bright spots in this country. As I said in an earlier post in this thread, I would think JR does have a succession plan in place that includes keeping the team here.

This certainly would not be like losing the "Charlotte Sting" (WNBA). The nations premier sports league (NFL) is only in 32 cities. Charlotte and the Carolinas would be a laughing stock. All because some tight fisted politicians are trying to play penny pincher to some uptight azzwipes who think said politicians will turn Charlotte back into Mayberry "if we can just get rid of those pesky sports teams and their billionaire owners"...this is fugging sad. It's like a depression era mentality.

Archived