• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who Do You Want the Panthers to Draft at 14th Overall?

With the 14th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Carolina Panthers select...  

221 members have voted

1. 1. Who Do You Want the Panthers to Draft at 14th Overall? (No trade down)

• Chance Warmack OG
    • Jonathan Cooper OG
    • Sheldon Richardson DT
    • Xavier Rhodes CB
    • Desmond Trufant CB
    • Tavon Austin WR
    • Cordarrelle Patterson WR
    • DeAndre Hopkins WR
    • Keenan Allen WR
    • Jonathan Cyprien S
    • Kenny Vaccaro S
    • DJ Fluker OT
    • Tyler Eifert TE
    • Barkevious Mingo DE
    • Datone Jones DE/DT
    • Jesse Williams DT
    • Sylvester Williams DT
    • Other (post below)

I made a very similar thread to this last year about a week before the draft and couldn't resist doing it again. Last year we had over 100 people or so vote and Fletcher Cox was preferred by the masses on the Carolina Huddle. If I remember correctly Luke was second in voting the day before the draft. I was a political science major in college and love gathering empirical data and polling so forgive me!

I left off fan favorites Star Lotulelei and Lane Johnson because I believe it is a pipe dream to think they will still be on the board at 14 even though either would likely be our pick at 14 if they somehow were still available. I wanted this poll to be as realistic as possible.

Assuming we cannot trade down, who do you want to see in a Panthers uniform out of the players in this poll? I believe these 17 are the most likely to be on the board and they each fit a need in one way or another and we have met with many of them.

My personal preference? Jonathan Cyprien. First and foremost I love his intangibles: He is a hard working player, smart with high football IQ, and is a documented leader on defense. Coupled with his instincts and the small-school chip on his shoulder, Cyprien has good athleticism and size for the position and brings the boom over the middle. He excels in the box and in run support, and still has room to develop into a great cover guy though I'd say his cover skills are about average right now. All of his perceived "weaknesses" can be coached out of him. I believe he is exactly the type of football player that Ron Rivera would love anchoring his secondary. A pairing of Luke and Cyprien could be elite for years to come. Most of all I think when compared to the other prospects on this list, I believe Cyprien will be able to come in and start day one and make the biggest impact overall in his first year.

Also, mods any way I could get this pinned? I would like to get several hundred total votes by draft night to determine the consensus.

*If everyone could also post in the thread who they voted for it would be greatly appreciated. The bump to the top of the page will help to get as many votes as possible. April 25th cannot come soon enough! 10 Days!

I rather skip WR at 14th (not that I wouldn't mind) but Rogers will be available in the second round, and he's the most athletic and physical WR in this draft. If he hadn't gotten kicked out of Tennessee, Da'Rick would have gone in the top fifteen.

Seriously, watch his tape and tell me he doesn't belong in the conversation with Allen and Hopkins. This kid manhandles DBs and makes spectacular catches.

I see no difference between Rogers and Lafell. If you had Rogers in a LSU jersey. i would have thought it was a Lafell highlight. I don't see what Rogers add that we don't already have.

I picked Eifert because I think we desperately need another receiving threat(Cam needs as many weapons as possible and touchdown scorers cost more in fa than guards and dts) and I am not sold on any of the wrs in this draft. Plus I really like offenses with 2 te base. Honorable mention goes to Hopkins if we pick a wr I like him the best.

I voted for Sly. He's a day one stater at a needed position. He's a 3 down player with versatility to play 1 tech, 3tech, and 5 tech giving Rivera and Mcdermont a nice piece to work with. He is a run stuffer with pass rush abilities. Plus he is home grown talent.

Let's try not to attack other's opinions in this thread and keep it strictly to discussing prospects in a respectful way and voting on those each of you prefer to be selected at 14.

Because of our draft position and the value outside the top 10 in this draft I believe this will be one of the most exciting drafts in recent memory. The majority of our fan base will differ in opinion but we will all support whoever is taken and that is what counts.

You've got to be kidding me. If you can't see the difference between Rogers and LaFell, then you should stop watching football altogether.

Da'Rick was the SEC's top WR in 2011, and you can see why from the highlights. Rogers is a highly aggressive receiver who can break tackles and stretch the field.

Look at the size/speed similarties, combine performance , and college production. You will notice a lot of the same numbers. Then look at the 2 highlight video. The only difference is Lafell is more elusive on tape. Other then that they look like the same players. Which is really good number 2 wr's.

Archived