• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are the essential elements in place?

Mr. Scot

Lot of talk about the DT, and I expected that, but there's another area I think worth discussing that no one has hit on yet.

In any of the potential starters listed, do we have a left defensive end that can consistently beat single blocks?

Keep in mind that right offensive tackles tend to be the big mauler types.

I expect left defensive end to be more of a play by committee. Situational being the determination on who is in. That works for me, keeping fresh legs in there is not a bad thing.

wouldn't be unreasonable to say brown is backing up peppers and johnson/brayton will be on the left side, though brown will most likely be playing on either side. i'd put taylor as a backup on the right side as well. keep the speed coming from that side all day. use johnson/brayton to continue to pound the RT and throw brown over there from time to time to use his speed on an already exhausted RT.

being called a backup isn't a bad thing with as much rotation is going to be happening on either side.

whoever has to play on the left is going to be practicing against one of the best RTs in the league. we saw last year that otah doesn't take it easy in TC.

i'm not concerned about the LDE.

Lot of talk about the DT, and I expected that, but there's another area I think worth discussing that no one has hit on yet.

In any of the potential starters listed, do we have a left defensive end that can consistently beat single blocks?

Keep in mind that right offensive tackles tend to be the big mauler types.

i say charles johnson just because i have heard that he is one of the strongest guys on the entire team so he fits on that side

wouldn't be unreasonable to say brown is backing up peppers and johnson/brayton will be on the left side, though brown will most likely be playing on either side. i'd put taylor as a backup on the right side as well. keep the speed coming from that side all day. use johnson/brayton to continue to pound the RT and throw brown over there from time to time to use his speed on an already exhausted RT.

being called a backup isn't a bad thing with as much rotation is going to be happening on either side.

whoever has to play on the left is going to be practicing against one of the best RTs in the league. we saw last year that otah doesn't take it easy in TC.

i'm not concerned about the LDE.

Valid point.

From what I saw, Otah was owning Brown in minicamp. But then a rookie Jordan Gross was regularly owned by Julius Peppers early on too, and look at him now.

Iron sharpens iron.

I'm not worried about LDE as Johnson will have his best season there. I'm not sold on Lewis. Sorry if the DT discussion pops up again, but clearly it's on a lot of people's minds. Kemo is adequate, I'm not looking for two Pro Bowl guys at DT. We really should have upgraded from Lewis though. I was concerned when he got extended, being that the staff is content with him via the extention.

I doubt we get an upgrade, but in my mind that is the last thing this team really needs to get over the hump. Lewis is average and would be great in a reserve role...I just don't think he can collaspe the pocket like he's been assigned to do.

I'm not worried about LDE as Johnson will have his best season there. I'm not sold on Lewis. Sorry if the DT discussion pops up again, but clearly it's on a lot of people's minds. Kemo is adequate, I'm not looking for two Pro Bowl guys at DT. We really should have upgraded from Lewis though. I was concerned when he got extended, being that the staff is content with him via the extention.

I doubt we get an upgrade, but in my mind that is the last thing this team really needs to get over the hump. Lewis is average and would be great in a reserve role...I just don't think he can collaspe the pocket like he's been assigned to do.

This offense will hopefully allow Lewis to play his game a little more and show us what the staff thinks he is capable of.

I made no secret this offseason that I wanted to see Lewis back in rotation and someone else as the primary three-technique guy. That didn't happen though, and I don't see Corvey Irvin usurping the role (not this year anyway).

With that said, Lewis in Meeks scheme might be a whole other animal than Lewis in Trgovac's scheme.

We've all concentrated on what Peppers can do inthis scheme, but it's worth pondering what the other DL guys can do too (back seven as well).

In fact, it's important to ponder because Meeks scheme relies heavily on getting pressure with the front four only.

This offense will hopefully allow Lewis to play his game a little more and show us what the staff thinks he is capable of.

You lost me. Ball control? Are you saying by the Panthers offense eating up T.O.P. Lewis will not tire out and post good numbers?

If so, Lewis doens't have the skill set to be a dominant 3-technique guy. Average yes, awesome no.

Can anyone imagine this D-line with Jenkins back? :eek: :cheers2:

Man, can the Jets loan him for a season.:cryin:

I made no secret this offseason that I wanted to see Lewis back in rotation and someone else as the primary three-technique guy. That didn't happen though, and I don't see Corvey Irvin usurping the role (not this year anyway).

With that said, Lewis in Meeks scheme might be a whole other animal than Lewis in Trgovac's scheme.

We've all concentrated on what Peppers can do inthis scheme, but it's worth pondering what the other DL guys can do too (back seven as well).

In fact, it's important to ponder because Meeks scheme relies heavily on getting pressure with the front four only.

Exactly why a lack of interior push on passing downs could cause long plays for the opposing team. Having the ends come around is one thing, but a 3-step drop mitigates that. Without pressure up the middle, that extra couple seconds is the difference in a drumming by the likes of a potent passing team, oh let's say, such as the Cardinals.

does anyone have the corey irvin stats from college..i cant seem to find them

i think we took him becaue of his pass rush skills but i never heard about him in the SEC

He was a JUCO transfer and started only one season at Georiga...that due to injury. He's raw to say the least and the very reason depth at DT worries me.

To answer you question, no, I don't have them. I could look them up, but from memory, very little to get excited about.

Archived