• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Need advice from IT nerds!

philp

Ok, going to try to be short because I'm typing this from my phone. I got out of the air force in the spring of 2010. I was in multiple communications units. Mainly working help desk and desktop support while not overseas. Other than 4 years experience and military job training, I only have the a+ cert. They started certifying everyone about the time I left with net+, sec+, and ccna. Like a dumbass, I wanted to get out of the military and party. I started going to school again. Changed majors 3 times in a year and a half and spent most of my time down the street at a local bar. I dropped out and started waiting tables. I wasn't making any money and was driving a piece of poo wrangler that was rusted to hell. (rip) Needless to say, I needed another job, quick. My ex gf found a job at time warner working in tier 3. The last thing I wanted was to work cooperate america again. But fug it, I applied and got the job. A year and a half later, I'm sitting here at another crossroad. What next? I broke up with the girlfriend to focus on my career. I know, this is what I should've done three years ago. My question is this: what is the market like for those who are cisco certified? I'm working on my ccna right now. I don't think I'll have time to take it before the new exam comes after next month. My goal is to have it by the end of the year. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. If this is a waste of time let me know now. Thanks!

A+ is useless. CCNA is useful. Real world experience more so.

After the Navy I worked for a graphic arts equipment manufacturer, but found I was more into computers that electronics. Took a job for a small IT shop doing a lot of small potatoes work but it got my chops up to par, and I started getting into bigger stuff. I have a couple of certs but that's not why I got the work, it's because I worked hard to prove I could be counted on.

A+ is useless. CCNA is useful. Real world experience more so.

After the Navy I worked for a graphic arts equipment manufacturer, but found I was more into computers that electronics. Took a job for a small IT shop doing a lot of small potatoes work but it got my chops up to par, and I started getting into bigger stuff. I have a couple of certs but that's not why I got the work, it's because I worked hard to prove I could be counted on.

I was very good at what I did. Client support admin was ok. I helped out some with routing and switching. Ran cable and helped setup a few bases in iraq. I just don't have the certs. That's what I've always wanted to get into. I'm determined to get out of customer service support. Like i told bronco, I have some of the post 911 left. Going back to school full time might not be an option at thid year. But I can definitely fit in time for icnd1 and icnd2.

Has your clearance lapsed? I'd assume so at this point....

Absolutely MUST get Security+

I'd recommend CISSP after sec+

You've already likely done the Help Desk and basic troubleshooting on the servers through Active Directory... You can get MCSE/MCSA if that's the case...

But if you're like me... And really wanna make some $$$$ then dive Head First in Security (securing Networks)

Everything is always hack able (even the huddle) (believe me) but the money is knowing how to secure these kinds of things.

If I were you I'd use the remaining two years of your GI Bill finishing your IT degree and studying up and str8 heeling out on all things network security.

I'm an active Army 25B and been in 11 yrs. I had some other plans that involved disappearing off the grid except for my family knowing... I was getting ready to delete all FaceBooks and everything.... Accepted and selected... Then on July 27th, I broke my back pretty bad. From then til now I have been forced to re-assess my future. Luckily God blessed me with both brains and strength... But now that I'm on the mend my course will change.

Take my advice or leave it bro, do some research. Get some Certs!!! Apply to known military friendly companies.

Best of luck to you. May God bless you in all that you do in Jesus' name. If you ever need anything at all just quote me on here or send me a PM.

Certs are nice, but real work experience matters more than certs. 

My advice is get your degree while continuing to work.  Community college then xferring to a four year school can be a good option.   Then if your current employer won't move you up after you graduate, start looking elsewhere and be flexible.

Regarding information security, SANS has some nice security related courses with certs.  And a few universities now have degrees in information security, and it is an excellent field to get into. 

I'm also very interested in getting my CCNA. Any advice on where to start would be awesome. I have a study guide from Todd Lammle for the 640-802 test. Is that a smart place to start?

You can take a four month course at a community college and take the CCNA at the end of it.  Its usually one or two nights a week. 

Archived