• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The problem with hiring coordinators as HC's

Dash Global

Yea. I said it.

Coaches pick their buddies and people they have history with.

Rarely do they go out and get the best of the best or the best man for the job.

That is nonsense buddy.

No decent coach would ever work for you and they shouldn't if you are going to hamstring them right off the bat.

If you want a GM hiring coordinators then just make Gettleman head coach.

That is nonsense buddy.

No decent coach would ever work for you and they shouldn't if you are going to hamstring them right off the bat.

Agreed.

Dude, this isn't madden. It's not that easy. If you've played football at any level, and then had to switch systems, you'd understand.

I didnt say it would be easy. 

Hell look at the Saints. 

Completely changed defensive schemes and system (requiring diff personnel) and improved drastically. 

It can be done. 

I didnt say it would be easy.

Hell look at the Saints.

Completely changed defensive schemes and system (requiring diff personnel) and improved drastically.

It can be done.

They're still using the same personnel.

Also, guess who chose Ryan? That'd be Sean.

That is nonsense buddy.

Please. 

Easy, then. 

You tell the coach to find a more qualified / proven coordinator. 

If you are a top flight GM than he wont be able to do it or will at most pick the same one you had in mind. 

Its about having the best of the best minds working together. Not your buddy you worked for x years ago or someone that helped you get a job somewhere. 

A coach would be an idiot to not want to work with proven innovative minds. 

That is nonsense buddy.

Yeah.  That's not gonna happen.  Nor should it.

Coaches pretty much always get to hire their own staff.

LOL put down the drinks and go to bed.

Coaches hire their own staff not the GM.

Pretty much.

Yea which bodes even more in my favor.

You can switch schemes and systems and get results.

I don't think you really have a point. You keep talking about not hiring coordinators as head coaches , then, you advocate for Sumlin who was, surprise, a coordinator.

Then you say a coach shouldn't be able to pick his own guys, but those are the guys who share similar ideas. You don't just want a mish-mash of ideas, there needs to be consistency.

LOL put down the drinks and go to bed.

Coaches hire their own staff not the GM.

I know they do. I am saying they should hire the best man for the job. Regardless if thats the HC picking or the GM. 

Tomlin didnt hire his coordinators in Pitt. And look at the success he has had. Pitt would have been stupid letting their DC walk simply because of a HC change. 

I want the best damn coordinator for the job. You can not trust HC's to delivery that due to a number of reasons. In which case the GM should be involved to some magnitude

This isnt the way it goes down, but its the way it should go down.  

People seem to overlook this but being a coordinator and being a HC is completely different, unless of course the HC is gonna be handling / calling the plays, which is rarely the case. 

I want proven guys at the coaching positions (HC, OC, and DC) 

Don't suggest you want a retread. Prepare for the shyt storm.

I know they do. I am saying they should hire the best man for the job. Regardless if thats the HC picking or the GM.

Tomlin didnt hire his coordinators in Pitt. And look at the success he has had. Pitt would have been stupid letting their DC walk simply because of a HC change.

I want the best damn coordinator for the job. You can not trust HC's to delivery that due to a number of reasons. In which case the GM should be involved to some magnitude

This isnt the way it goes down, but its the way it should go down.

So, you're implying you know more than the collective of the NFL on the way their operations should be handled?

DG, sign this man. Director of coaching staff. Super Bowl.

I don't think you really have a point. You keep talking about not hiring coordinators as head coaches , then, you advocate for Sumlin who was, surprise, a coordinator.

Then you say a coach shouldn't be able to pick his own guys, but those are the guys who share similar ideas. You don't just want a mish-mash of ideas, there needs to be consistency.

I didnt say not to hire a Coordinator as a HC as there are coordinators I would hire. I was simply pointing out an often overlook thing. 

Summlin is a proven (relative) HC. You would have a point if he was still a coordinator. 

Every coach should have the same damn ideas. 

Offense - score the most points in the league

Defense - allow the fewest points in the league, force the most turnovers, and force the most 3 n outs, allow the fewest yards. 

The HC should just manage and motivate the players. Leave the play calling to proven guys. 

Archived