• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Car advice needed.

Gabeking

So I'm looking for my first car, I'm on a tight budget (probably around $8000 max) and so far I've found 2 cars so far that fit the criteria I'm looking for: an AWD sedan that's fun to drive, preferably with a sunroof lol.

Car 1: 2004 volvo s60 2.5T >>> http://m.autotrader.com/vdp.html?id=346096314

Car 2: 2004 subaru impreza RS >>> http://m.autotrader.com/vdp.html?id=356776378

I'm not an expert on cars so I'm just wondering, for all you experts out there, what car do you think is the overall better value? I'm personally leaning towards the volvo here cuz of the mileage but I would love to hear from you guys.

These aren't the only 2 cars I'm looking at, but they've certainly peaked my interest. If you guys can help me out on finding out what the better value is it might give me a good idea on what to look for.

Also, I know it's a long shot, but if any of you live around the Jersey/NYC/Philly area and happen to be selling or know of someone/some place selling a similar kind of car at a good price and are willing to let me in on it let me know id appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

I'd go with the Volvo based on the ads alone. Try to find out all you can about the previous owners. Don't get something that a teenager has been driving for the last couple of years for example.

Ok, yeah I was gonna check into the dealers within the next week or so and get it inspected as well.

A few questions. Are you financing the cost or just paying the 8k outright? If you are paying outright I would suggest financing a new car. If your credit is good or if you can get someone to Co-sign you can get a great rate on a decent car. Put that 8k in the bank and pay 250 bucks a month. That 8k will last for 38 months of a 60 month loan. 38 months from now chances are that car is done for and worthless as far as a resell value. This is of course if you have a consistent income right now. What happens if 5 months from now the transmission craps out on your ten year old car? You're screwed that's what. If you are financing the 8k I would suggest getting something cheaper. Any car that is ten years old is going to have problems, I would minimalize your risk until you can afford an awd with out all the risk. Be honest is a ten year old car something you REALLY want or just the most you can afford? Chances are its just the most you can afford. I say spend the grand get a piece until you can afford what you really want.

Guest Spider Monkey

For $8,000 you can get a much newer Malibu, Civic, etc that has low miles and will get great gas mileage while being very reliable. Don't waste your money on an old car that has high mileage and has been beaten to death by aggressive driving.

AWD is useless. It's just twice the parts that WILL break and need replacing. Unless you are driving like a moron down a mountain you won't get a thrill from AWD, and it's worthless in snow when the car is just inches from the ground.

Do something 90% of guys don't do when they're young, invest in a practical vehicle.

Before you finalize your decision, test drive a BMW 3 series and Audi A4. Not only do they drive great, they hold their value a lot better than most cars.

Here is a search in $7k to $9k price for both cars no older than 2004 and you have over 700 to look at so you can find something in your target range. Also, if you don't have a lot of extra money every month, many companies sell extended warranties. The one the dealer will sell you may be more expensive than if you shop around. The major insurance companies are now offering extended warranties so check with your insurance company or Allstate or State-farm too. They are priced according to copay, mileage, and amount of coverage. So you always have a running car, get a policy that only covers drivetrain and had a low like $100 or $250 co pay so you know you will always have transportation. Depending on price, you can even get a full bumper to bumper policy, but I recommend a minimal drivetrain policy at very least. I used to buy and sell cars at dealer auctions when I was in college for spending money so I have an extensive backround in this.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=70002&endYear=2014&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&maxPrice=9000&mmt=%5BBMW%5B%5D%5B3_SERIES%5B%5D%5DAUDI%5BA4%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&modelCode1=3_SERIES&makeCode2=AUDI&modelCode2=A4&showcaseOwnerId=124036&makeCode1=BMW&startYear=2004&numRecords=100&searchRadius=0&minPrice=7000&firstRecord=201&Log=0

Japanese cars are typically more reliable and hold their value better than their European and American counterparts. Honda's and Acura's in your price range are some of the best-made cars from that generation. I'd look at the Acura RSX. Gets great gas mileage, fun as hell to drive, and is a great looking car.

I'd advise you to avoid a BMW or Audi until you establish a large income. Many of them are plagued with issues and are headaches to maintain.

Sent from my SGH-T999

Guest Spider Monkey

Audi & BMW are horrible choices. Those things are the same quality as American/Japanese vehicles, yet they are more expensive & break down more often with double the repair costs.

Also, the Japanese Honda/Toyota brands being superior to Ford/Chevy is a huge myth. They are no more reliable/durable & due to the mentioned myth the prices on them are way over the top. It's like Apple/Android, just because everybody & their mother drives a Honda/Toyota & they pay more for them than what they're worth doesn't make them better.

Archived