• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who do you want if Peppers Signs Extension

QuasiYoda

How much cap space do we figure that will clear? If it's enough, we can skip over free agents and start talking trades if necessary.

If a deal gets done it will be front heavy for sure, with most of the money coming this year and next year. I wouldn't expect a huge relief of cap room though. Maybe 4 million off his base Tag number of 16.7 million. He actually counts for around 19 million because of his bonuses and the fact that next year is Uncapped.

If a deal gets done it will be front heavy for sure, with most of the money coming this year and next year. I wouldn't expect a huge relief of cap room though. Maybe 4 million off his base Tag number of 16.7 million. He actually counts for around 19 million because of his bonuses and the fact that next year is Uncapped.

Does the 30% rule still apply to next year? If so then it would seem that in order to unload as much of the salary as possible next year in an uncapped year, we would have to have a pretty big hit this year as well. Unless we repeat what we did in the past which was backload it through design or necessity (restructuring) with the idea we won't have him here beyond 3 years. I would prefer front loading it and I know Peppers will want that as well.

Does the 30% rule still apply to next year? If so then it would seem that in order to unload as much of the salary as possible next year in an uncapped year, we would have to have a pretty big hit this year as well. Unless we repeat what we did in the past which was backload it through design or necessity (restructuring) with the idea we won't have him here beyond 3 years. I would prefer front loading it and I know Peppers will want that as well.

The 30 percent rule is in effect because of next year being uncapped. It was part of the CBA to protect against massive contracts. There is a loophole though, The Redskins used it with Haynesworth's contract as did the Saints. Almost half of Haynesworth's actual contract (4 years 48 million) is payed to him next season in a massive 23 million dollar bonus. Here's the Loophole

(16) Any bonus to be paid to a player solely for fulfilling his obligations to play under his Player Contract without seeking to renegotiate and/or “holding out” (i.e., a “completion bonus”), and which bonus is otherwise guaranteed for skill and injury, except that the amount of any such completion bonus shall be calculated at its present value, computed at the one-year Treasury Note rate published in The Wall Street Journal on February 1 of the League Year in which the Player Contract is executed. Further, if any event occurs which extinguishes the player’s right to receive such completion bonus, any amount of the bonus that has previously been included in Team Salary shall be immediately added to the Team’s Salary Cap for the current League Year, if such event occurs prior to June 1, or for the next League Year, if such event occurs after such date, with the remainder of the bonus that has been allocated to Team Salary for future League Years immediately extinguished.

Good Blog post on the Rule and the loophole.

Link

It looks like the NFC South has upgraded their running games this offseason and the NFC is pretty strong as well. So I would be interested in a Quality DT to help place the opposing offenses squarely in the hands of the Meeks sculpted Pass Rush.

Though I have to acknowledge my lack of knowledge as to what is truly in need of shoring up. There are no doubt some no name players on this team who have shown to the Coaches incredible potential.

Remember the NY Giants who won the Super Bowl with Major contributions from Rookie players. We may have similar potential as our drafting of late have been very impressive when seen with the gift of hind sight.

Archived