• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

T - minus

CanadianCat

I think some missed my point. Peps is here for 2009, new contract or not. My point was if the team doesn't get a new long-term deal done, depending on what happens as the 2009 season plays out, Peps may not get a deal or at least the one he wants in 2010. As a result, the front office will let, although begrudgingly, Peppers walk.

We are all assuming here that Peps gets the contract he wants next season due to the front office's unthinkable scenario that he plays his days out elsewhere. Don't assume that if Peps has a down year or we win the Super Bowl or Brown blows up ( in the good way) Hurney will slap the tag on him again fretting about Peppers 'slipping away'.

I think, in all honesty, if a new deal isn't struck in a couple of days, this is Peppers last year in Carolina.

Based on what? The quote out of the front office say they will put another franchise tag on him next year.

Simply Put, You don't let a Hall of Fame quality Defensive End just walk away . . . thus the Franchise Tag this year and next year if a longer term deal is not negotiated. There is trade value in Peppers especially in a year with no CAP. No way we just let him go next year!

Based on what? The quote out of the front office say they will put another franchise tag on him next year.

Simply Put, You don't let a Hall of Fame quality Defensive End just walk away . . . thus the Franchise Tag this year and next year if a longer term deal is not negotiated. There is trade value in Peppers especially in a year with no CAP. No way we just let him go next year!

Speculation. None of us can see in the future even those being adament he's definitely staying beyond 2009. However, the team didn't say they would use the tag, but left the option open. By walk, I meant trade too because they can negotiate a trade until they tag him again, if Peps is tagged again. Unless I'm wrong, it's not a done deal about the uncapped year either though it's looking tht way.

I think this hugs and kisses make up is a sham and Peps is just putting on a happy face because he knows he's stuck, YES STUCK, here another year. He is going to do his hardest to make it out of here next year by all means necessary.

My point is Peps wants out of here and unless he really changes his mind... just not mending the burnt bridge from the offseason comments, he will make it difficult for the Panthers to keep him. Remember, contracts are a two way street and he can demand outrageous money or incentives to where a contract is deemed unreachable by the front office. If the team tags him again in 2009 (i.e. refusing his wishes to leave) there's no way he'll even sit down with the team after 2010. A player can only be tagged two years.

Peppers wants out next year = needing to justify his offseason drama with solid production to impress other teams into giving him the kind of contract he's gonna demand.

Peppers signs huge long term deal = having to justify his new lucritive contract and offseason drama with solid production, plus the fact that we keep him for most likely the remainder of his career.

There a downside here, assuming best case scenarios?

Speculation. None of us can see in the future even those being adament he's definitely staying beyond 2009. However, the team didn't say they would use the tag, but left the option open. By walk, I meant trade too because they can negotiate a trade until they tag him again, if Peps is tagged again. Unless I'm wrong, it's not a done deal about the uncapped year either though it's looking tht way.

I think this hugs and kisses make up is a sham and Peps is just putting on a happy face because he knows he's stuck, YES STUCK, here another year. He is going to do his hardest to make it out of here next year by all means necessary.

My point is Peps wants out of here and unless he really changes his mind... just not mending the burnt bridge from the offseason comments, he will make it difficult for the Panthers to keep him. Remember, contracts are a two way street and he can demand outrageous money or incentives to where a contract is deemed unreachable by the front office. If the team tags him again in 2009 (i.e. refusing his wishes to leave) there's no way he'll even sit down with the team after 2010. A player can only be tagged two years.

Not quite right, You can tag a player at the normal 20 percent raise or Highest 5 contract average for two years. After that it goes up in percentage but you can still Fran tag a player, but with Peppers contract size already its almost inconceivable that they would do so three years in a row.

As I understand it, they're not allowed to sign a deal during the season if they go past the deadline. Don't know that the rules specifically prevent discussing a deal.

If that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised to see a long term deal signed in the offseason.

altho im sure if the FO was trying to get a long term deal in place but are running out of time, they might just quickly throw together something to make the deadline and then re work it in the days that follow.

This would work b/c a player can rework their contracts at anytime, as long as they have a contract. So if the FO is serious of getting one done by tomorrow they will find a way to do it.

Archived