• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN Insider: The legend of Riverboat Ron

dos poptarts

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10086752/nfl-riverboat-ron-rivera-yet-face-many-make-break-decisions

In terms of the current narrative, let's call the Buffalo Week 2 failure the inciting incident -- the event that changes the protagonist's world. Every hero needs an origin story, so from there "Riverboat Ron" was born.

Knowing he needed to show more faith in his offense, and his multiskilled quarterback, the now desperate Rivera starts aggressively going for it on fourth down. Carolina converts eight consecutive fourth-down attempts since Week 6. Three of the plays went for touchdowns. His Panthers have won a franchise-record eight games in a row and will play for the NFC South lead Sunday night in New Orleans.

Don't have Insider so I have no idea if the article is worth a damn.

I'm hoping some Huddler can sum up the content for the rest of us.

Hate the title....every time I read..."Legend of...." I can only think of this movie and hear Pat Benatar in the background.

Legend_of_billie_jean.jpg

Can I paste the article here?

Highlights:

• Panthers have converted 8 consecutive 4th downs since Week 6. 3 for a TD.
  • 9 of 11 4th down attempts. Highest percentage behind Denver (4 of 4), and second highest total behind Chud and the Browns (13 of 26 attempts). 
  • During this streak the Panthers have beaten losing teams by at least two TDs. 4th Quarter comeback against the three teams >.500
  • Pointed out examples of the team losing by settling for field goals on 4th and 1. Tampa Bay last year and Buffalo this year for instance.

Archived