• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Steve Smith has a torn PCL

yep but like you, I just dont see how the fug he couldve "popped" it completely without tearing anything else. . . especially on the play in question

Pierria Henry, the starting PG for the Charlotte 49ers, said his knee 'popped out' in a game a few weeks ago. He fell down in pain and had to be carried off the court. He was putting a little bit of weight on it 5 minutes later, but it looked like he might be done for the year.

Turned out it was just a bone bruise and he only missed 1 game.

Hoping for the same situation with Smitty.

The reason I asked the question does he want to come back is because if it's an ACL/PCL or MCL/PCL grade 3 sprain then he's done for 6-12 months. Considering his age, it's likely closer to 8-10 months at best probably which means he wouldn't be ready for the start of next season. He could be back in June/July but that's kinda pushing it, more likely he'd be back in August/September at the earliest with a possibility of missing the whole season and being 36 attempting a comeback. 

The reason I say he could miss the whole season is I don't think the team would keep open a roster spot if he didn't make it back by say late October/Early November. 

I dont know if you can use standard time tables though. There are a lot of unpredictable variables in this right? Age sure, he's 34 now right? but also . . AGE, he's only 34. . not 54. . not 74. He's a world class athlete with a world class body and diet also. Just gonna have to see, preciate the estimates though.

Pierria Henry, the starting PG for the Charlotte 49ers, said his knee 'popped out' in a game a few weeks ago. He fell down in pain and had to be carried off the court. He was putting a little bit of weight on it 5 minutes later, but it looked like he might be done for the year.

Your knee popping out of place compared to hearing a pop are two different things. Also when Smith came back out to run the play, he couldn't put pressure on it. He tried and then limped through the rest of his route in another true sign of toughness from 89. 

yeah this is what I was getting at. There's alot of stuff in that joint. . isnt it considered by doctors as one of the most complicated parts of the body in fact? Pretty sure Ive heard that b4.

I hope its just a freak bruise or something too man, razeyfingers crossed

I dont know if you can use standard time tables though. There are a lot of unpredictable variables in this right? Age sure, he's 34 now right? but also . . AGE, he's only 34. . not 54. . not 74. He's a world class athlete with a world class body and diet also. Just gonna have to see, preciate the estimates though.

That's the reason knee ligament tears have such a wide range timetable wise, people heal differently and at different rates.

Most people will be at the further end of the timetable around 6 month's for a desk job and a full 12 months to be fully healed. Athletes are generally going to be closer to the 6 month time period but age is a factor as the Bodies ability to heal those type of injuries really slows down in the 30's. 

The problem with a PCL, is even if you replace it, it stretches back out easily because of the ligament location. That's the reason a PCL takes so long, you've got to take it slow or you'll just damage it again with a replaced ligament. 

Your knee popping out of place compared to hearing a pop are two different things. Also when Smith came back out to run the play, he couldn't put pressure on it. He tried and then limped through the rest of his route in another true sign of toughness from 89. 

Just trying to be a little optimistic until we hear something official....

An injury to the PCL can cause mild to severe damage. Doctors classify PCL injuries in these groups:

• Grade I: The PCL has a partial tear.
  • Grade II: The ligament is partially torn and is looser than in Grade I.
  • Grade III: The ligament is completely torn and the knee becomes unstable.
  • Grade IV: The PCL is damaged along with another ligament in the knee.

Grade 3 and 4 usually require surgery.

yeah this is what I was getting at. There's alot of stuff in that joint. . isnt it considered by doctors as one of the most complicated parts of the body in fact? Pretty sure Ive heard that b4.

I hope its just a freak bruise or something too man, razeyfingers crossed

This will give you an idea of how complex the knee is, Medically wise we're still finding things out about the knee. Take this for instance.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/11/13/a-surprising-discovery-a-new-knee-ligament/?_r=0

In October, a new ligament was discovered in the knee. Called the A.L.L, it's a ligament that stabilizes the knee and sits atop the other ligaments and knee. Some think it's the reason that knee ligament replacements are so hard to come back from, because if the ACL or MCL are torn then the ALL is also torn and doctor's haven't been replacing the ligament because they didn't know it existed. 

Don't want to make anyone mad here but if Smith is gone we are toast, like one and done in the playoffs. Just a fuging shame

wat?

this is why guys like you dont lead things.

edit: and no one is gonna get mad, lol. . theyre just gonna look at you and tell you to straighten out your shriveled peen.

Archived