• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Steve Smith has a torn PCL

What is the recovery time for that type of injury?

I have heard from two places now (NFL Network, article online) that Smith believes he has 'ligament damage' or a torn PCL.

Is he done for the year? If we get a bye... could be be ready in three weeks?

Even for a sprain the recovery is weeks. If there is any real damage or a tear he will be in for months.

Unless it is very mild I am guessing he is out for the season.

I am not a medically licensed professional.

Damn, I hate this.  Even taking away his production or stats, we nee the guy's fire and passion on the field, intimidating the DB's and playing the mind games.  He brings so many intangibles to this offense, I just laugh when I read about his irrelevance because outsiders only look at yards and touchdowns.

Unless you get into a car accident or fall directly on your knee, it's pretty hard to just mess up the PCL. In sports it's usually injured when one of the other tendons tear.You don't see a whole lot of just PCL tears in sports. It's really uncommon, but it's a bad injury because of the difficulty in repairing a complete tear. 

When talking about knee ligaments, sprains are tears, just depends on the degree of the sprain. If it's a grade 1 or 2, then they usually don't do surgery and it takes a couple months to recover from. Grade 1 is a partial tear of the PCL, grade 2 is a complete tear of the PCL.  If it's a grade 3, that means that either the ACL or MCL was torn along with the PCL and it's a 6-12 month ordeal. 

The reason they don't do surgery on a grade 1 or 2 is because the PCL is difficult to repair and incredibly easy to stretch out if the tendon is replaced, so typically the only time they do a surgery on one is if another ligament is injured requiring a surgery to begin with. 

Damn, I hate this.  Even taking away his production or stats, we nee the guy's fire and passion on the field, intimidating the DB's and playing the mind games.  He brings so many intangibles to this offense, I just laugh when I read about his irrelevance because outsiders only look at yards and touchdowns.

I could not put it any better, he brings so much heart and passion. Would hate to not have that in post season. Still we don't know the full extent yet.

Having Ginn, Hixon, Lafell and Olsen all on the field will have it's own positives.

There will be no "go to" guy and defenses and Cam will have to spread the ball and coverages around.  Could actually work out okay for us.  Smitty will be on the sidelines either way and will NOT let the intensity level diminish.

i looked at the thread title and ny hearr sank because my eyes skipped ober the "if" part.

that said....we'll find out soon enough exactly what to worry about. rifht now there are juat too many possibilities and we'll know what it is today. i'll worry about it then.

there are four possible outcomes, tho.

he will be fine and not miss any time

he will not miss time, but be playing at a diminished capacity

he will miss a week or two, but be ready for round two of the playoffs or the nfc cg or maybe even the superbowl(provided we make it that far)

he is done for the season.

whatever the case, we'll have to deal with it. next man up.

i won't be dwelling on the implications of all that right now, tho. i can wait.

Archived