• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Give up a 2015 1st round pick for franchise WR?

Evengelion

Keenan Allen says hello. 

There is one in every draft...a guy on offense that slides to the end of the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd who explodes. This is a WR heavy draft. Watkins and Evans are probably going in the top 15. I'm not high on Lee because it seems like he has trouble staying healthy. Kelvin Benjamin is probably going to be there. He has all the physical attributes you look for. Its up to the scouting department to determine if he has the "want to" that he would need to be an elite WR for us. 

I think Watkins is going to be a stud and would love to have him. But I'm not trading the farm (a la the Falcons/Redskins) in order to get him. Especially when Ted Ginn and Brandon LaFell have been serviceable this year. You could also get a guy like Sefarian-Jenkins in the 2nd round as a great pass catching TE option if you want to go offense in the first two rounds. 

No your not rebuilding but your constantly having to build around not just depth.  Why go out and get a guy when you could still get a Solid #1 WR considering How Deep this class is.  Then go out and use next year on another position.  A first rounder is not a "luxury" pick.  First rounders are talented guys who can come right in and make a impact.   

Atlanta Julio was already pretty formidable team who was in the playoff hunt.  They traded all their eggs for that superstar top WR type and then when something comes up like, say we don't resign Hardy, Gross retires etc and we don't have that pick to get his replacement, we are going to be the ones with the egg on our Face like ATL is right now)

1st rounders are luxury picks only for bad, non-playoffs team. One draft pick doesn't make a team. You make it sound like we'd be giving away all of our 7 picks. This is a completely different situation than ATL. ATL took a Gamble because their long term success was dictate upon a prolific offense. No prolific offense meant bust. For us, we already have a top 5 defense which is compose of most players in their early 20s. We're set for the next 4-5 years. One 26th pick in the draft is not gonna make a that much of a difference even if he's a shut down corner.

Sammy Watkins is more a sure thing than a 26th pick in the 2015 draft. That's the way you have to look at it. 

Top picks are never a for sure thing. You could have injuries or the player could just not translate well to the pros. Every time we have mortgaged the future for a pick had always bit us in the ass. This is our definition of insanity. Why keep doing the same thing that never works.

Keenan Allen says hello.

There is one in every draft...a guy on offense that slides to the end of the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd who explodes. This is a WR heavy draft. Watkins and Evans are probably going in the top 15. I'm not high on Lee because it seems like he has trouble staying healthy. Kelvin Benjamin is probably going to be there. He has all the physical attributes you look for. Its up to the scouting department to determine if he has the "want to" that he would need to be an elite WR for us.

I think Watkins is going to be a stud and would love to have him. But I'm not trading the farm (a la the Falcons/Redskins) in order to get him. Especially when Ted Ginn and Brandon LaFell have been serviceable this year. You could also get a guy like Sefarian-Jenkins in the 2nd round as a great pass catching TE option if you want to go offense in the first two rounds.

Isn't Benjamin just a sophomore ?

I understand what you are wanting. A Stud #1WR would make us better. We are already a Super Bowl Contender. Even with our holes. Know why? Because no team is set at every position.

We need some help on the O-line first. Then we can go get us a shiney new WR. Personally, I would like a Vet #1, but that ain't happening either. Too expensive.

Gordon would help us. A great Tackle would help us. Hellz, any talented player will help us. All we really need to do is draft well. No need to target any ONE position.

Cam needs an O-line. Cam needs a #1WR. Out of those two. Which is more important?

I think the OL and Cam complement each other. Cam does have time in the pocket. Nothing I hate to see more than a beautiful play-action and Cam having 7 seconds in the pocket and no one come open. I think the OL can easily get beefed up in free agency as we're now an attractive organization for vets to try to get their ring. The rich gets richer. WRs in free agency are too expensive and not many available this year, so the draft is our best bet. We need a young stud like Watkins(and maybe a 3rd rounder) to grow with Cam for the next 10 years. I think giving up a 2015 1st rounder for a cheap stud WR is less risky than signing a proven vet for 10-12 mil.

I'd take ebron over any receiver. He is huge and catches anything. He is a legit deep target and would stretch the field better than any wr that will be there

Sent from my SCH-I545 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Ebron's not gonna be there at 26. After the combine that dude is probably gonna be top 10. People will see him as a vernon davis type. Wishful thinking though.

We have to get Cam some weapons. Protection has been alright for much of the year but guys are not getting open. 

I totally trust DG to get it done. We do not have that many holes. I do think however that we need to bring back Wharton and Mike Mitchell, hell even Quiton Mikell.

I have said it several times this year: The WR class appears deep, so I don't see why we'd have to give up a pick in 2014, much less 2015, to draft WR1-like talent. 

With impending Pro Days, the Combine, and team workouts on the horizon, it isn't even necessarily smart to assume that Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans will even be the best WRs coming out the draft. Seriously, people. Moreover, what are the chances that there is going to be a rush at WR this year, making it impossible for us to acquire our future number one after a late first round pick. For like the 10th time, guys like Brandon Coleman, Jaelen Strong, Donte Moncrief, Devin Street, Jordan Matthews or some other WR could emerge to be an excellent pick up.  One WR that we may also want to keep an eye on is Chris Boyd who may be available in the later rounds. Sure he got in trouble for failing to come clean about his teammates, but that doesn't make him a horrible person.  Basically, in my opinion it is highly presumptuous to assume that we'd have to trade a pick to get prolific talent at the WR position, especially at this stage in the game.  So far, it appears that a third rounder may be the best WR out of last year's draft. Not to mention that another potential beast (Cordarrelle Patterson) that wasn't drafted until later in the first round may end up surpassing them all after all is said and done.

We have to have patience and do our due diligence to find our guy, otherwise getting the flavor of the month could end up being counterproductive. 

Great post. I agree completely. I'm hoping that people in the panthers organization don't have tunnel vision and think their franchise receiver is already on the roster. I hope they understand that the WR position is holding this team back. Our top receiver only have 63 catches and is a TE. Unacceptable.

Archived