• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Camp Countdown: OL

Depth, as I'd see it now:

LEFT TACKLE

- Jordan Gross

- Patrick Brown

- Gerald Cadogan

LEFT GUARD

- Travelle Wharton

- Mackenzy Bernadeau

- Duke Robinson

CENTER

- Ryan Kalil

- Justin Geisinger

- Keith Gray

RIGHT GUARD

- Keydrick Vincent

- Duke Robinson

- C J Davis

RIGHT TACKLE

- Jeff Otah

- Geoff Schwartz

- Jonathan Palmer

- Garry Williams

A purely unqualified look at how it might end up, barring roster changes (which always happen):

LEFT TACKLE

- Jordan Gross

- Gerald Cadogan/Patrick Brown

LEFT GUARD

- Travelle Wharton

- Mackenzy Bernadeau

CENTER

- Ryan Kalil

- Mackenzy Bernadeau

RIGHT GUARD

- Keydrick Vincent

- Duke Robinson

RIGHT TACKLE

- Jeff Otah

- Geoff Schwartz

PRACTICE SQUAD POSSIBILITIES:

- Keith Gray

- C J Davis

- Jonathan Palmer

- Garry Williams

- whoever doesn't make it between Cadogan and Brown

A purely unqualified look at how it might end up, barring roster changes (which always happen):

LEFT TACKLE

- Jordan Gross

LEFT GUARD

- Travelle Wharton

- Mackenzy Bernadeau

CENTER

- Ryan Kalil

- Mackenzy Bernadeau

RIGHT GUARD

- Keydrick Vincent

- Duke Robinson

RIGHT TACKLE

- Jeff Otah

- Geoff Schwartz

- Keith Gray

- C J Davis

- Jonathan Palmer

- Garry Williams

that's exactly how i see it though i expect cadogen to get the nod over brown.

Depth, as I'd see it now:

LEFT TACKLE

- Jordan Gross

- Patrick Brown

- Gerald Cadogan

LEFT GUARD

- Travelle Wharton

- Mackenzy Bernadeau

- Duke Robinson

CENTER

- Ryan Kalil

- Justin Geisinger

- Keith Gray

RIGHT GUARD

- Keydrick Vincent

- Duke Robinson

- C J Davis

RIGHT TACKLE

- Jeff Otah

- Geoff Schwartz

- Jonathan Palmer

- Garry Williams

LEFT TACKLE

- Jordan Gross

LEFT GUARD

- Travelle Wharton

- Mackenzy Bernadeau

CENTER

- Ryan Kalil

- Mackenzy Bernadeau

RIGHT GUARD

- Keydrick Vincent

- Duke Robinson

RIGHT TACKLE

- Jeff Otah

- Geoff Schwartz

- Keith Gray

- C J Davis

- Jonathan Palmer

- Garry Williams

Too bad there is no $$ left to bring in some backup veteran depth. I really hope these 2nd string guys overachieve.

I'd rather have a young guy getting some reps than one of the scrub veterans on the market now, except for maybe the C position. Its far too important of a position to allow someone young to make rookie mistakes, mistakes are way to costly there.[/quote

I am quite sure there is a quality vet out there that can give solid reps while providing a bit of stewardship and gel to the reserve linemen. Problem is we have no money. I agree that it is a young mans league but a bit of experience goes a long way in developing talent.

how many ol do we keep bc 10 is not enough

I thought he only posted 9 OL... with a fight over the LT position. My opinion is that we keep the 10 best, due to finally realizing how important having a good, quality backup in each line position has occurred to our FO and Fox. 9 is the more likely scenario, as it allows us to have more flexibility with the rest of the roster, but it's just too damn important to keep guys in their starting positions. Playing musical chairs with the OLinemen has never worked well for us. I'd prolly give the nod for the left spot to Cadogan, and I'm all for bringing in a cheap vet to backup Kalil at center.

Too bad there is no $$ left to bring in some backup veteran depth. I really hope these 2nd string guys overachieve.
I'm not too worried about the 2nd year guys... we have an OLineman for an OC, and a damn good line coach in Magz. If they feel this backup group can get it done, then I'm pretty confident they will fill the bill.

Does anyone know about Keydrick Vincent's groin injury? Will he be able to play this season?
Last I'd heard, he was progressing well. Maybe someone else has a more recent status report?

Here's the last info I saw on Vincent back in June:

Keydrick Vincent was breathing heavy but not complaining after running sprints with the Carolina Panthers' other linemen near the end of Monday's summer school practices.

Vincent, the Panthers' right guard, flashed his trademark smile and talked about how good it felt to be practicing with his teammates.

His only injury of the 2008 season was painfully untimely. After being the lone member of the offensive line to start each of the first 14 games, a groin injury kept him out for the final two games of the regular season and the Panthers' home playoff loss to Arizona, his former team.

“It was disappointing,” said Vincent. “We were on a roll at the end (of the season). But stuff happens.

“Thank God, everything's healed back up. Just to run around and be out here with the guys feels great.”

The Panthers missed Vincent's forceful presence as a run blocker. At 6-foot-5, 325 pounds, he's an ideal fit for the team's physical offensive style.

“What they do on offense is what I'm built for,” he said. “I'm a run blocker. I can pass block a little bit, but we're going to out-physical you. That's what I'm made for. That's what I do. I'm not a finesse guy.”

The Panthers are Vincent's fourth team. He started all 16 games for Pittsburgh in 2004 when the Steelers had a 15-1 regular-season record. He moved on to Baltimore as an unrestricted free agent in '05, spending two seasons there before moving to Arizona in '07, where he played sparingly.

Joining the Panthers last year brought him back to his football roots because Carolina's style of play is so similar to Pittsburgh's.

“This is what I'm used to doing,” he said. “I am what I am.”

Though Vincent plays a key role in the offense, he's the only member of the line who isn't clearly a long-term fit at his position.

Left guard Jordan Gross, left guard Travelle Wharton, center Ryan Kalil and right tackle Jeff Otah are all younger than Vincent (31) and fit more clearly into the Panthers' long-range plans.

Vincent is entering the final year of his contract and doesn't know whether the Panthers will want to keep him beyond the '09 season. However, he said he's content.

“I just want to win games, stay healthy and just have fun,” he said. “Everything else, you can't worry about that. I just thank them for bringing me in. It gave me a chance to revive my career.”

Archived