• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Origin of Peter King's hate on Cam

Evengelion

Peter King is not racist. But he is old and white. Old white football writers have a certain way they want the game to be played. They don't like celebrations or flashiness. They want every QB to be a "leader" and stoic. You eat, sleep, and breathe football. This is a mans game not entertainment! Rappers are icons! Not Quarterbacks! It's not about skin color but it is about age and culture. At some point Peter King stopped being a reporter and became a commentator. This is a trap many journalists fall into when they begin to believe their opinions are more important than the facts.

As for me, I want our QB to be an entertainer and an icon. The NFL is a TV show. I don't watch because football matters. It doesn't produce anything. It's purely for entertainment. I want him to be an icon. When I'm traveling the country or world and people see my Panthers hat I want them to say "Cam Newton is great!"

Peter King is not racist. But he is old and white. Old white football writers have a certain way they want the game to be played. They don't like celebrations or flashiness. They want every QB to be a "leader" and stoic. You eat, sleep, and breathe football. This is a mans game not entertainment! Rappers are icons! Not Quarterbacks! It's not about skin color but it is about age and culture. At some point Peter King stopped being a reporter and became a commentator. This is a trap many journalists fall into when they begin to believe their opinions are more important than the facts.

As for me, I want our QB to be an entertainer and an icon. The NFL is a TV show. I don't watch because football matters. It doesn't produce anything. It's purely for entertainment. I want him to be an icon. When I'm traveling the country or world and people see my Panthers hat I want them to say "Cam Newton is great!"

I just really like that Cam pisses people off with his celebrations and hope he continues to do them for the Panthers for the next 15 years. The madder everyone gets, the better he must be doing.

Immaturity on the part of a so called professional in the media.

In the media it is about what you cover not about you.......... or how those you cover respond to you.........

This attitude in the media is a result of the 24/7 coverage and competition by large corporate broadcasting firms. They give a sense of deluded grandeur to some media members that are more interested in attempting to create their own legacy rather those they report on.

Journalist Ernie Pyle and Radio reporter Edward R. Murrow covered WW2 and became iconic legends................by covering their subject, not inflating themselves.

You think this slew of so called media personal today never study the history of their craft.

Do you think Vin Scully would have shunned Sandy Koufax if he would have had an experience like that? 

Grow up Mr. King....suck up your ego and report the greatness that unfolds in front of you..... 

Eh, I think a lot of you are still overblowing it.

He had a specific part of MMQB yesterday praising Cam for his football give away, nice paragraph.

He also praised Cam for his late came heroics this season both against New Orleans and New England.  I think he's tried to show that he doesn't harbor any hard feelings, but then again a lot of you still have a sore anus from peppers...... so it's not surprising totally.

Eh, I think a lot of you are still overblowing it.

He had a specific part of MMQB yesterday praising Cam for his football give away, nice paragraph.

He also praised Cam for his late came heroics this season both against New Orleans and New England.  I think he's tried to show that he doesn't harbor any hard feelings, but then again a lot of you still have a sore anus from peppers...... so it's not surprising totally.

He's trying to make up for all the bile he's spewed the last couple years...

Even in our game vs NO, look at what he said... King had some ignorant comments.

Haven't read the article because it's old news, but the reason Cam wouldn't talk to King is because King was the guy who did the whole "entertainer and icon" thing around the draft.

Rather than provide any context as to why Newton made the comment, King chose to sensationalize it via Twitter, making Cam look like a diva.

So Cam stiffing him on an interview was entirely appropriate.

When someone brought up Cam stiffing him as reason of King's hatred of Cam , Peter King said that Cam hasn't talked to him in three years. 

He's trying to make up for all the bile he's spewed the last couple years...

Even in our game vs NO, look at what he said... King had some ignorant comments.

It's easy to read things how you want. I've slammed King myself for his early Cam stuff, but its only fair to also mention that he's given Cam his due here of late.

It's easy to read things how you want. I've slammed King myself for his early Cam stuff, but its only fair to also mention that he's given Cam his due here of late.

Not a month ago he was absolutely slamming Cam in a game, clearly ignoring everything he had done this season, and demonstrating his lack of remembering the fact Cam beat the PATRIOTS at the end of a game.  Meh.

He'll abandon Cam as soon as Cam makes a single mistake,

Can understand why he was mad, especially if he was assured of an interview. I don't know why Peter King would fly down from New York to Spartanburg for Cam (who else was the national media covering in Panthers training camp in 2011?) if he wasn't promised a sitdown. Still though, guy needs to let it go.

I doubt he was promised anything.  The Panthers media relations department didn't allow hardly any interviews his rookie season.  I find it hard to believe King would have been the exception given his history with Cam at the time.

Can understand why he was mad, especially if he was assured of an interview. I don't know why Peter King would fly down from New York to Spartanburg for Cam (who else was the national media covering in Panthers training camp in 2011?) if he wasn't promised a sitdown. Still though, guy needs to let it go.

King was in town for his annual training camp tour of every team when Cam blew him off. He didn't make any special trip for Cam and I doubt any sitdown promises were given either.

Archived