• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Nerds and Beta Males...Quick Meetup Question for you

Captroop

So I'm not sure how many of you use Meetup, but I had a quick question about potentially creating a Meetup Group. I already run one Meetup group, so I want to do a little market research before I pay for a second:

My idea is for a Meetup Group for Man Skills. A group with events that center around acquiring the skills that men are supposed to have, or to generally do manly things in a world dominated by office jobs and weekend trips to Ikea. Things like:

• Seminar on basic car repairs. Also, jumper cables and putting on a donut.
  • How to mix a cocktail
  • Trip to a shooting range
  • How to clean a fish
  • Trip to a boot camp
  • Sail
  • MMA/Boxing class, or group fighting training
  • Chop down a tree
  • Negotiate a better price
  • Sew a button. Not traditionally masculine, but having to seek out a woman for every wobbly button is pretty embarrassing too.
  • Apply first aid, or generally be a badass during a crisis.
  • And then when there's nothing else planned, just meeting at a bar/bowling alley/golf course for some beer and man time.

I can tell you that personally, I'd love to do some of these things, and learn some of these skills hands on. If something like this was offered in your area, would you sign up? Would you pay a couple bucks a year to participate?

Sure I'll let women join. They wouldn't be my target audience, but at the end of the day, these are life skills that anyone can use and benefit from. It's just a societal expectation that men should know them, and most (that I know, anyway) are helpless in these regards.

And the men who know the difference between mauve and purple, considering I am one, would be welcome as well. Also the guys who know you don't mix black and brown in your outfit. Ever.

As for the boy scouts...Let's just say with what was going on in the news at the time I was boy scout aged, my parents weren't letting me anywhere near that lodge.

So I'm not sure how many of you use Meetup, but I had a quick question about potentially creating a Meetup Group. I already run one Meetup group, so I want to do a little market research before I pay for a second:

My idea is for a Meetup Group for Man Skills. A group with events that center around acquiring the skills that men are supposed to have, or to generally do manly things in a world dominated by office jobs and weekend trips to Ikea. Things like:

• Seminar on basic car repairs. Also, jumper cables and putting on a donut.
  • How to mix a cocktail
  • Trip to a shooting range
  • How to clean a fish
  • Trip to a boot camp
  • Sail
  • MMA/Boxing class, or group fighting training
  • Chop down a tree
  • Negotiate a better price
  • Sew a button. Not traditionally masculine, but having to seek out a woman for every wobbly button is pretty embarrassing too.
  • Apply first aid, or generally be a badass during a crisis.
  • And then when there's nothing else planned, just meeting at a bar/bowling alley/golf course for some beer and man time.

I can tell you that personally, I'd love to do some of these things, and learn some of these skills hands on. If something like this was offered in your area, would you sign up? Would you pay a couple bucks a year to participate?

I've been perfectly able to do all that an more for years, heck last week after getting off work then hitting the gym I spent 3 hours working on my vehicle(minor fix but still) before I went to bed that night and woke up at 4am the next morning.

with that being said I helped a dude I knew last year fix his flat tire and I'm sure he's never had to change a tire before in his life, was clueless and seemed overly great full for my 20 minutes of help, kinda funny when guys don't know how to do guy stuff.

Archived