• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Which Offense do you want?

Paintballr

2013 Carolina Panthers?

Offense lead by Mike Shula....

22.9 Pts a game (18th)

316.8 Yards a game (26th)

190.2 Pass Yards a game (29th)

126.6 Rush Yards a game (11th)

1st in NFC South with a record of 12-4

2008 Carolina Panthers?

Offense lead by Jeff Davidson....

25.9 Pts a game (7th)

349.7 Yards a Game (10th)

197.4 Pass Yards a game (19th)

152.3 Rush Yards a game (3rd)

1st in NFC South with a record of 12-4

Did the 2013 Carolina Panthers over achieve on offense though out the year? I remember this board being ecstatic when Jeff Davidson wasn't our O-Cord any more. It was said he didn't get along with Steve Smith, and ran a very boring, predictable offense.

What do y'all think? Keep with the status quo and keep Mike for another year and hope for a marginal increase in performance? Get him more weapons? I would say that both teams were very similar with talent overall.

QB- Jake

RB- Deangelo, Stewart

FB- Brad Hoover

WR- Smith, Moose, Hackett, Jarrett

TE- King, Rosario

LT- Gross

LG- Wharton

C- Kalil

RG- Hangman/Bridges

RT- Otah

QB- Cam

RB- Deangelo, Stewart

FB- Tolbert

WR- Smith, Lafell, Ginn, Hixon

TE- Olsen, Hartstock

LT- Gross

LG- Wharton

C- Kalil

RG- Scott/Chandler

RT- Bell

The 2008 offense was better because our running game was much better because our o-line was much better.  Steve Smith in his prime and Moose as a 2nd receiver.  

For 2013 we've got Cam, Olsen, and Tolbert.  Everything else is the same but older or worse.

If the running backs can get at least 800 yards a season a piece then the load would be taken off of cam. He's asked to do too much and I'm surprised that at the end of the games his tongue isn't hanging out from running for 70 yards and passing for 230.

What are you getting at?

This is like asking if you want aids or colon cancer

True but some people say you don't make a change after a 12-4 or a "successful season". The chargers made the call when they fired Marty after a 14-2 Season, Ravens firing Cam Cameron the week before the playoffs, and this board for example couldn't wait for the Jeff Davidson era to be over and done. But say what you will, he produced a more potent offense, although it crapped the bed in the playoffs, then Mike Shula did with Cam Newton.

I'm torn on the issue, because I don't know if it was lack of talent, execution, or play calling that made this offense not as productive as it could have been. Do you replace Mike and go with a new system for a 3rd time in 4 years? Keep Mike and hope he gets better with more talent? What do you do if you get more talent, and get the same result? Fire and promote half way next year and hope for the best?

If the running backs can get at least 800 yards a season a piece then the load would be taken off of cam. He's asked to do too much and I'm surprised that at the end of the games his tongue isn't hanging out from running for 70 yards and passing for 230.

How much is that play calling though? We can't say that teams didn't stack the box on Jake and make us run the ball at them. He'll we averaged almost the same passing yards a game with Jake.

Archived