• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We had our chance to sign Hardy, lets not make the same mistakes we made with D. Lo and J. Stew, he has to walk :(

thunderraiden

He's talking about (at least I think he is) signing Hardy to a large deal with a big signing bonus and then prorating the contract in such a way that the cap hit for the first 2 years is really low.   After which Charles Johnson could likely be cut opening up cap space for Hardy's deal to expand in cap hit.

I don't see Hardy taking that over a contract with a similair signing bonus and also a nice pay grade immediately given Hardy's experience with injury in college.

I don't see Hardy taking that over a contract with a similair signing bonus and also a nice pay grade immediately given Hardy's experience with injury in college.

Salaries are irrelevant.

Would you take 50 million guaranteed with 25 million in salaries and workout bullshit over 7 years. 

OR

Would you take 25 million guaranteed with 50 million in salaries and work out bullshit over 7 years.

NFL players (usually) are after that signing bonus. Thats in their pockets the day they sign the deal.

Salaries are irrelevant.

Would you take 50 million guaranteed with 25 million in salaries and workout bullshit over 7 years. 

OR

Would you take 25 million guaranteed with 50 million in salaries and work out bullshit over 7 years.

NFL players (usually) are after that signing bonus. Thats in their pockets the day they sign the deal.

I'd take 50 million in bonus and 50 in salaries.

I don't think 6 million dollars over 2 years is something Hardy would brush off so easily.

I'd take 50 million in bonus and 50 in salaries.

I don't think 6 million dollars over 2 years is something Hardy would brush off so easily.

You aren't reading what I am writing.

I still love you tho.

Obviously someone would take 100 million over 75.  That isn't the point of the discussion.

6 million in salary would easily be brushed off if it allowed a bigger guaranteed number.

6 million in salary would easily be brushed off if it allowed a bigger guaranteed number.

You are assuming it would be a bigger guaranteed number, which it won't be.

We will be out bid.

Thats what I have been trying to tell all of you.

You are assuming it would be a bigger guaranteed number, which it won't be.

We will be out bid.

Thats what I have been trying to tell all of you.

I haven't disagreed with that.

Im talking about how to structure a contract to keep them both.

Never said he would take less.

Damn photographer...look post while looking through your camera so you see what I am posting :P

I wonder how much value is put on his attitude?  Its nice to have some players on your team that can bring that type of nastiness to the field.  For me personally, its big reason I dont want to lose him. I wonder if this plays a factor in our desire to keep him.

Hardy is a solid player, but not elite. He whips the weak sisters and disappears when the T is good. He was rarely doubled this year, since Star and Luke and CJ commanded attention. Here is a stat that tells me a lot:

Hardy was average to below average through 2011. However, in 2012 and 2013, he gets 26 sacks (combined)

In 2012, He had 11 sacks, but 6.5 were against 3 teams with terrible problems at OT---San Diego, Chicago, and Washington.

In 2013, he had 10 sacks vs. teams with problems at T--in just 4 games--New Orleans (second game vs rookie), New York Giants (a few fans logged sacks that game), and Atlanta (twice). Miami had a trainwreck at T and he disappeared. Staley shut him down, and Kalil in Minnesota shut him down.

Basically, in the 32 games that Hardy played to get 26 sacks, If you take away 7 games vs. weak OTs (backups, rookies, etc), he gets 9.5 sacks in 25 games. He can thank CJ, Luke, and Star for the contract he is about to get.

This year, he had 0 sacks in games we lost.

He is a solid player, but he will not go elsewhere and get 15 sacks. He is not elite, and he wants to be paid as he is elite.

Love him as a player, but not at double digits.

Like most DE's do but sacks aren't the only stat you look at. Pressure (which Hardy had 83) and tipped passes are just as good as Sacks sometimes.

Archived