• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We had our chance to sign Hardy, lets not make the same mistakes we made with D. Lo and J. Stew, he has to walk :(

thunderraiden

I would love to see Hardy stay, but in our cap situation with Cam's contract on deck and Luke's coming up I will totally understand if we have to let him walk.

I think we're estimated to only have 15 million in cap space for 2014 so if we tag Hardy we only have 3 million left to work with. I know we can restructure, release, etc.. to create more room but in many cases that just prolongs our "cap challenged" situation as DG put it. 

A "tag and trade" sounds good, but how many times has that actually happened?

Players and their agents want to control their own destiny and they want to feel like they're getting the best value out of the market, so they typically object to this and they can easily sabotage the process by refusing to sign long term with a potential trade partner. From Hardy's perspective, why should he settle now for a negotiated rate from a trade partner when he can play under the tag here for one year and then hit the open market? It's the same situation we went through with Peppers, the only advantage we have this time around is Hardy says he wants to stay.  

I would love to see Hardy stay, but in our cap situation with Cam's contract on deck and Luke's coming up I will totally understand if we have to let him walk.

I think we're estimated to only have 15 million in cap space for 2014 so if we tag Hardy we only have 3 million left to work with. I know we can restructure, release, etc.. to create more room but in many cases that just prolongs our "cap challenged" situation as DG put it. 

A "tag and trade" sounds good, but how many times has that actually happened?

Players and their agents want to control their own destiny and they want to feel like they're getting the best value out of the market, so they typically object to this and they can easily sabotage the process by refusing to sign long term with a potential trade partner. From Hardy's perspective, why should he settle now for a negotiated rate from a trade partner when he can play under the tag here for one year and then hit the open market? It's the same situation we went through with Peppers, the only advantage we have this time around is Hardy says he wants to stay.  

Nailed it.

IF we can hang onto Hardy, I expect it to be a deal that works around CJ's.  Specifically, a deal structured to keep his cap hit relatively low in the first 2-3 seasons after which we'll cut CJ as a cap casualty if he's not willing to restructure to a much more cap friendly deal.

We simply can't afford to have two DEs who are concurrently among the top in the NFL in terms of cap hits.  CJ already is.  That means Hardy can't be at the same time.  We've already seen what this does to the team overall in terms of cap flexibility when it happens - see Williams, DeAngelo and Stewart, Jonathan.

Awesome that this thread has pretty much devolved into a pissing match between two posters trying to out-dumb one another.

I love how I make a comment on a stupid opinion and it turn into a "pissing match" (which it isn't because we would have to be in the same league for it to be a match). If others would stop enabling Chuck and teach him about the logistics in sports. We wouldn't have these misunderstandings.

Archived