• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does Cam have an asking price?

cardiackat88.

still don't think 11-12 based on play is right.

He led us to 12-4 and a division title.  That is not low tier results.

Try writing something coherently next time....fuging idiot.

To be honest the 11-12 was just humoring the idiot I was responding to who was saying he deserves 8-9. If you missed my original original post, I'll sum it up for you: "Hopefully he'll take somewhere in the 15-17 range." And no need to insult me, we're all Panthers here. 

To be honest the 11-12 was just humoring the idiot I was responding to who was saying he deserves 8-9. If you missed my original original post, I'll sum it up for you: "Hopefully he'll take somewhere in the 15-17 range." And no need to insult me, we're all Panthers here. 

Fair points.

I do not even think he will take 15-17.  I think he wants to get paid big....especially with him playing under the rookie scale for the first 4 years of his career.

Fair points.

I do not even think he will take 15-17.  I think he wants to get paid big....especially with him playing under the rookie scale for the first 4 years of his career.

We'll see, but the less the better. Obviously if he says "$20m or I'll go somewhere else" then we gotta pay the man, but lets hope he takes a tad less and lets us get more talent on the team. 15-17 would be ideal, and that is absolutely no chump change. If I were a damn NFL QB playing for a contender like the Panthers I'd take $5m a year to help the team. He'll be set for life no matter how much he makes, so lets hope he does whats best for the team and doesn't demand absurd amounts. Look what Joe Flacco did to the Ravens! Think, had he been paid reasonably, they could've kept Boldin and other key pieces and been in the playoffs, and we would've beat the Boldin-less Niners. Instead they missed the playoffs and their offense blows (not just Boldin, but they lost a lot of key pieces both O and D because of Flacco's big money).

We'll see, but the less the better. Obviously if he says "$20m or I'll go somewhere else" then we gotta pay the man, but lets hope he takes a tad less and lets us get more talent on the team. 15-17 would be ideal, and that is absolutely no chump change. If I were a damn NFL QB playing for a contender like the Panthers I'd take $5m a year to help the team. He'll be set for life no matter how much he makes, so lets hope he does whats best for the team and doesn't demand absurd amounts. Look what Joe Flacco did to the Ravens! Think, had he been paid reasonably, they could've kept Boldin and other key pieces and been in the playoffs, and we would've beat the Boldin-less Niners. Instead they missed the playoffs and their offense blows (not just Boldin, but they lost a lot of key pieces both O and D because of Flacco's big money).

Here is what most fans either forget or fail to grasp.....there is very little team loyalty with players (unlike fans).  It is a business for these guys....and VERY seldom will a player give a discount to stay with a specific team.  It does happen....but more than not it is a business decision.

Here is what most fans either forget or fail to grasp.....there is very little team loyalty with players (unlike fans).  It is a business for these guys....and VERY seldom will a player give a discount to stay with a specific team.  It does happen....but more than not it is a business decision.

I completely understand that. I'm HOPING that Cam is one who will play for cheaper because he loves the team and the game. That's all. I'm not saying he will or should (per say) but I am hoping that he will play for cheaper. And I disagree that there is very little team loyalty with players. Look at our locker room this year. Those guys loved this roster and were visibly upset after the playoff loss, because they knew many of them wouldn't be back. I think there is a lot of team loyalty. It may not be more important to them than the money, but there is definitely team loyalty. If there was no team loyalty, team's like the Patriots, Colts/Broncos (Manning-led), Saints, and Packers would win the Super Bowl every single year, because of the elite QB play. You can't have an elite defense like the Seahawks, past-Ravens, or like ours without team loyalty, and without that you don't win Super Bowls.

I completely understand that. I'm HOPING that Cam is one who will play for cheaper because he loves the team and the game. That's all. I'm not saying he will or should (per say) but I am hoping that he will play for cheaper. And I disagree that there is very little team loyalty with players. Look at our locker room this year. Those guys loved this roster and were visibly upset after the playoff loss, because they knew many of them wouldn't be back. I think there is a lot of team loyalty. It may not be more important to them than the money, but there is definitely team loyalty. If there was no team loyalty, team's like the Patriots, Colts/Broncos (Manning-led), Saints, and Packers would win the Super Bowl every single year, because of the elite QB play. You can't have an elite defense like the Seahawks, past-Ravens, or like ours without team loyalty, and without that you don't win Super Bowls.

Not true....the Seahawks defense has several key players that are still under their rookie deals.  We will see what kind of loyalty those guys have when their contracts are up.

As for us, we paid big time for CJ...have two rookie DT's who performed well....have Hardy on a rookie deal...have Keek on a rookie deal....took a big chance on TD that paid off....and put together a rag tag group in the defensive backfield.  Not exactly big time players playing for lower dollar contracts that they could have gotten.  We had the right pieces that played well together.

NE is really the only team that has demonstrated an ability in the past to lure talent for somewhat less that market value.  But, even they have not really been able to pull that off for a couple of years now.

the NFL is a business and it is all about the money.

Not true....the Seahawks defense has several key players that are still under their rookie deals.  We will see what kind of loyalty those guys have when their contracts are up.

As for us, we paid big time for CJ...have two rookie DT's who performed well....have Hardy on a rookie deal...have Keek on a rookie deal....took a big chance on TD that paid off....and put together a rag tag group in the defensive backfield.  Not exactly big time players playing for lower dollar contracts that they could have gotten.  We had the right pieces that played well together.

NE is really the only team that has demonstrated an ability in the past to lure talent for somewhat less that market value.  But, even they have not really been able to pull that off for a couple of years now.

the NFL is a business and it is all about the money.

I think we're on the same page, but we just have a different definition of team loyalty. To be loyal to the team you don't have to take significantly less $ in my opinion. Yes, that would show loyalty, but you can be loyal to the team and take an above average pay. Guys like Justin Blackmon, Aqib Talib (when he was with Tampa) are players who are unloyal to their team, letting their off the field issues affect the team. I was thinking of loyalty aside from money, but you are right that most wouldn't take less money. 

I think we're on the same page, but we just have a different definition of team loyalty. To be loyal to the team you don't have to take significantly less $ in my opinion. Yes, that would show loyalty, but you can be loyal to the team and take an above average pay. Guys like Justin Blackmon, Aqib Talib (when he was with Tampa) are players who are unloyal to their team, letting their off the field issues affect the team. I was thinking of loyalty aside from money, but you are right that most wouldn't take less money. 

That I will definitely agree with....this is a pretty tight group we have now.  They really trust and believe in each other.

Will be an interesting offseason....hoping that Gettlemen can make the right moves to help the talent on the team without losing that loyalty and tight group.

problem here is, you and most fans fail to understand, or flat out ignore, how salaries truly work in the NFL.

Cam is a franchise QB.

A special one.

So no matter how ya try to downgrade his value, he will get paid like a premier franchise QB.

Like it or not.

I don't fail to understand.It has nothing to do with liking it it has to do with performance and so far he is not a "franchise " QB but a middle of the pack performer.That's not downgrading his value at all.That is where he stands.if he has not performed at a premier level then paying him premier money is overpaying.He may get overpaid but don't try to say he deserves it.by definition "overpaid" negates"deserves it."

I don't fail to understand.It has nothing to do with liking it it has to do with performance and so far he is not a "franchise " QB but a middle of the pack performer.That's not downgrading his value at all.That is where he stands.if he has not performed at a premier level then paying him premier money is overpaying.He may get overpaid but don't try to say he deserves it.by definition "overpaid" negates"deserves it."

I didn't say deserve.

Like it or not, Cam will be paid like an elite qb.

You obviously can't grasp that.

That I will definitely agree with....this is a pretty tight group we have now.  They really trust and believe in each other.

Will be an interesting offseason....hoping that Gettlemen can make the right moves to help the talent on the team without losing that loyalty and tight group.

I'm with you, I can't wait to see how FA and the draft turn out. I really like Gettleman and trust that he'll do what's best for the team. I also think keeping Mitchell is huge for that loyalty. He plays with such a passion and fires everyone up. Other than Gross and possibly Hardy, I'd say Mitchell is our most important FA to sign.

Archived