• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brown vs Brayton

This was posted yesterday.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81112fd8&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Chance to start for rookie DE Brown

The Panthers traded up to snag Everette Brown in the second round, with the expectation that the rookie would make an immediate contribution as a situational pass rusher. Brown possesses the athleticism to thrive as an explosive rusher and stands a strong chance to start if he displays credible rush skills during the preseason. While Tyler Brayton is a better run-down defender than Brown, his inability to generate consistent pressure on the quarterback put Carolina in a quandary

"His inability to generate a consistent pressure on the QB put Carolina in a quandry" Peppers, Johnson, Brown and Taylor could easily handle the load on the DE front. Is Brayton a DT candidate or could we afford to let him go. Free up some money for a veteran DT or better player?

I would hate to see one of our young players end up on the chopping block for a one dimensional player.

Any takes?

Go Panthers

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81112fd8&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

"His inability to generate a consistent pressure on the QB put Carolina in a quandry" Peppers, Johnson, Brown and Taylor could easily handle the load on the DE front. Is Brayton a DT candidate or could we afford to let him go. Free up some money for a veteran DT or better player?

I would hate to see one of our young players end up on the chopping block for a one dimensional player.

Any takes?

Go Panthers

well, Peppers is the only pass rush threat we got right now....everyone else is unproven. It will be a LONG year if nobody steps to help Pep out considering what Meeks/Fox want to do defensively.

Any takes?

Go Panthers

IMO Brayton can fill the DT/DE role. We can platoon him and Brown depending on down-and-distance, using Brayton's more accomplished run defense for running plays and bringing in Brown on obvious passing downs. We can also move Brayton inside to pair with Kemo to create pressure from the interior. Something else to be considered is a lineup of Peppers (RDE), Kemo (DT), Brayton (DT) and Brown (LDE) with Damione Lewis, Hayden and rookie Irvin (not to mention the other UDFE DT) rotate on the interior and Charles Johnson and Hillee Taylor rotating on the ends. That's a pretty good defensive lineup that could effective apply pressure while providing the needed bulk upfront to be effective against the run. May not be feasible, but it could happen.

Aside from this, Brayton is in the last year of his contract with us (originally signed a two year deal). Not sure if it would make sense to cut him, especially with the current situation (inexperience and current lack of depth) on the defensive line.

IMO Brayton can fill the DT/DE role. We can platoon him and Brown depending on down-and-distance, using Brayton's more accomplished run defense for running plays and bringing in Brown on obvious passing downs. We can also move Brayton inside to pair with Kemo to create pressure from the interior. Something else to be considered is a lineup of Peppers (RDE), Kemo (DT), Brayton (DT) and Brown (LDE) with Damione Lewis, Hayden and rookie Irvin (not to mention the other UDFE DT) rotate on the interior and Charles Johnson and Hillee Taylor rotating on the ends. That's a pretty good defensive lineup that could effective apply pressure while providing the needed bulk upfront to be effective against the run. May not be feasible, but it could happen.

Aside from this, Brayton is in the last year of his contract with us (originally signed a two year deal). Not sure if it would make sense to cut him, especially with the current situation (inexperience and current lack of depth) on the defensive line.

I thought about the experience / inexperience. This is Johnson 3rd season and he should either be ready to take over the spot or move on. Taylor in 2nd year should excel in Meeks scheme and of course Brown.

I think we keep him more because he can play the DT role more than the inexperienced thought.

Go Panthers

Johnson was pretty good when he got to play last year. I don't understand why he wouldn't even be in the discussion. Was 2nd on the team in sacks as a part time player. He seems better suited as an every down DE than Brown is right now as he's considerably larger than Brown and I seem to recall someone saying he's one of if not the strongest guy in the weight room. He just turned 23 so he's the same age as some of the rookies this year but has 2 years NFL experience under his belt.

would not be surprised if CJ starts at LE ... move him inside on passing downs and throw Brown at LE...

but then the question is where does Brayton fit in? I'd like to see him play more DT this year ... but i guess it all depends on how Brown performs.

rotate the hell out of them and keep them fresh so they can wreak havoc in the backfield

:iagree: w/this.

Keep constant pressure on the QB and make it difficult on ballcarriers. The odds of more defensive stops in the backfield is intriguing.

I don't think they care who starts as long as they all get to see a lot of playing time. It is no different than our running game. I am stoked about our d-line this year. (- a solid DT next to Kemo)

rotate the hell out of them and keep them fresh so they can wreak havoc in the backfield

No one has mentioned Taylor. He will have a year under his belt as well and he fits Meeks mold. Peppers, Johnson starting with Brown and Taylor rotating.

I say we either put Brayton into the DT rotation or release him and bring in a Veteran DT that becomes available.

Go Panthers

having multiple players who have different strengths and even one who can play multiple positions is a positive as long as they are used correctly. There will be gambles made though and Meeks will use what some people feel is "obvious" to them about a particular players skill set to his advantage (hopefully). This mix adds another element to keep folks guessing.

We just have to win more gambles than we lose.

Archived