• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Junior!

Mayor Qumiby

I just hope he can win a championship before he retires. That man has always had so much pressure on him because of his father. He's carried NASCAR since he was 26 years old. And on top of all that he's a very genuine, fun loving guy who loves his fans & the sport. He deserves it.

I mean he singlehandedly has more fans than every other driver combined. Even when he wasn't winning anything & Johnson was dominating the sport he was still the face of racing.

Which, I guess more than anything, just speaks volumes to the popularity & legacy of his father to this day.

Wut?  He is a genuinely nice guy and I'm glad to see him win one.  But to say that he has carried NASCAR since he was 26 years old is complete and total bullshit.  

And he won't win a championship before he retires.  

Guest Dark Knight

Wut? He is a genuinely nice guy and I'm glad to see him win one. But to say that he has carried NASCAR since he was 26 years old is complete and total bullshit.

And he won't win a championship before he retires.

Yes he has, Jr has been the face of NASCAR since the day his dad was killed. If he want there when Sr died the sport would've collapsed in popularity.

Yes he has, Jr has been the face of NASCAR since the day his dad was killed. If he want there when Sr died the sport would've collapsed in popularity.

Newsflash, the sport has collapsed in popularity.  Have you looked at the grandstands?

If a guy that finished 25th in the point standings in 2009 or whatever and went three seasons without a win is what has carried the sport, well then I guess that does explain the decline in attendance.

Guest Dark Knight

Newsflash, the sport has collapsed in popularity. Have you looked at the grandstands?

If a guy that finished 25th in the point standings in 2009 or whatever and went three seasons without a win is what has carried the sport, well then I guess that does explain the decline in attendance.

Daytona, Talladega, Bristol, Indianapolis, Charlotte, etc still sell out every year.

Phoenix, Las Vegas, etc were never popular.

I wouldn't say Dale Jr sucks, hes not great but isn't the suck. I agree he's fallen short of the bar set for him although it was a high bar. Who knows though his best year could be ahead of him. .look at Bobby Allison.

But that brings up another point...

Outside of Richard Petty , Dale Jarrett and to a lesser extent Dale Earnhardt who are some 2nd generation (or 3rd) drivers that have gone on to be as good or better than their dads??

I can't really think of any..Steven Wallace sucked, Dale Jarrett had a son who tried to race but didn't do well. Kyle Petty won a few races and had a couple of top 5 seasons but wasn't that great. Maybe Davey Allison? ? He was headed for greatness possibly to be better than his dad but unfortunately we'll never know.

Guest Dark Knight

I wouldn't say Dale Jr sucks, hes not great but isn't the suck. I agree he's fallen short of the bar set for him although it was a high bar. Who knows though his best year could be ahead of him. .look at Bobby Allison.

But that brings up another point...

Outside of Richard Petty , Dale Jarrett and to a lesser extent Dale Earnhardt who are some 2nd generation (or 3rd) drivers that have gone on to be as good or better than their dads??

I can't really think of any..Steven Wallace sucked, Dale Jarrett had a son who tried to race but didn't do well. Kyle Petty won a few races and had a couple of top 5 seasons but wasn't that great. Maybe Davey Allison? ? He was headed for greatness possibly to be better than his dad but unfortunately we'll never know.

Davey Allison is mostly a myth. Nobody knows what would've happened with him. Dale Jr looked like he was gonna dominate NASCAR in his father's footsteps early on. He won the Busch Series Championship the only two years he ran it. After getting over the death of his father he was very, very good in 03 & 04.

He hasn't lived up to his name, but that was an impossibility. He's still a top 10 driver.

There are a bunch of kids that are going to be quite good. Ryan Blaney and Chase Elliot look the part.

And Jr isn't a top ten driver. I don't want to go on a junior bashing parade but he is a 20th place driver in the absolute best equipment out there. He does seem to be improving his communications where he is able to get the car to handle, something he struggled with a lot in the past.

Don't read too much into Daytona. Danica ran up front some there!

Not wanting to put a spin on the whole Nascar/Daytona thing, but I disagree that Nascar is that healthy any longer.  Empty stands are everywhere and even though there are contracts in place currently, I see sponsorships going away in the near future.  There sport is suffering from dull boring racetracks, cars and gimmicks.

Now to the spin.

What would be better for a sport in order to drum up new fans and bring back old ones, than to have a woman on the pole last year, the number 3 on the pole this year, and Junior win this year?

I know it's not wrestling, but still, the thought exists.

Archived