• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What would you consider a successful FA period?

charlottenian

Kraken deserves every bit if that money too. He got paid like 3 mil last season and that should be taken into consideration.

He hasn't slacked of on a play since he got here and brings the right type of energy without taking penalties.

He's only 25 trimming years old and will be getting 15+ sacks every year for the next 8 seasons as long as he stays healthy, making the pro bowl or all-pro team every one of those years. HOF lock of he does that and you'll be kicking yourself in the teeth every time we have to play against him. Just hearing the name "kraken"' will make you sick to your stomachs and every other fan base in the NFL will turn the phrase "release the Kraken" into a running joke about our franchise and fan base.

I ain't down with that. Sorry.

I guess we will agree to disagree. He is a solid DE but he wants a big contract to sign long term. I'm not one to mortgage the teams future in locking up players who's production can be replaced, especially when so much is locked up already with Charles Johnson. Panthers have $30 million tied up against the cap this year just on their two starting DE. 

Problem that I have with Hardy is that he's inconsistent - yeah I said it. 7 of his 15 sacks came in the last 2 games of the season. Those last two games moved him from "Above Average" to the "Elite" category in todays FA market. Again, I recognize you can't replace the persona of "The Kraken", but for a team strapped for cap space, his production could have been replaced and saved $5M+

I'm still hoping someone signs him and the Panthers don't match it so they get the two 1st round picks. Although, it is a little late now because his $13M could have went to sign a top OT and would put the team in better position going forward. 

I'll admit, if Johnson didn't receive his insane contract, we wouldn't be having this discussion. I'd be open to keeping Hardy long term and paying him the $13M - but the NFL is a business and you live and die by previous investments you make in players. Charles Johnson was a bad investment for the money paid to him at the time, which is now having a negative effect on how the team can operate. For me, there are just too many holes on this roster where Hardys money would have helped this team to move forward from the hit the team has taken this off-seaosn.

It would be great IF you could guarantee that you could replace all that Kraken brings with a couple FAs or draft picks...but you can't.

Kraken was the #1 RE in the NFL in QB pressures. #1 RE in tackles. #1!!! He had something close to 100 total quarterback pressures on the season!

Inconsistent? Whatever dude. I'm just showing you the real because you obviously didn't pay close enough attention to what was really going on out there.

And you can say that CJ's contract affects your decision making, but what you really mean is that the money paid to Godfrey and Stewart are killing the cap, because they are the ones not producing at close to Kraken's total salary for '14.

If you get rid of kraken instead of waiting it out a year or two, you are creating a giant void instead of fixing the real problem. Your logic is misplaced.

Knowing that we have holes in specific areas, it's gonna take a couple years to fix it, which is what Gettleman iterated when he stated it was gonna be a couple years of patience to get everything shored up.

Kraken is in the master-plan, some of the other players are not and it's gonna take a couple years to get them off the books and get the core locked-up for the foreseeable future so that something really special can happen here.

Y'all are just being too short-sighted and instant gratification seeking.

Be happy with what you have and I understand you are a little freaked out, but just realize that you have a guy on offense and a few guys on defense who could be MVP and DMVP in the same year.

It's rare that any team has one or more of any of those and we have like 4. And we are going to keep them all, regardless of the perceived holes you think we might have.

Stop...don't panic (jamiroquai song,)

I'd like to see them re-sign Ted Ginn and find a way to keep Smith, draft a young WR early, and sign a few veteran O-Lineman.  Especially a LT (Anthony Collins?).  Draft some O-Line and secondary help in the later rounds and Carolina is good to roll.  

Archived