• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

At 12-4 were we not supposed to make a push and go "All In"?

charlottenian

Dude we had one of the worst receiving core in the league! Smitty was not only our best receiver but our only one. Remember when he couldn't play? No one was able to step up and take his place. And for that matter even Smitty admitted he wasn't a #1 receiver anymore. To say we didn't need to revamp our receiving core that HAS been ignored too long (we never found a replacement to Smitty) is completely ignorant.

so what does that have to do with my comment? All these things did not force us in this situation. this situation could have been avoided this week and the weeks leading up to this week. to say otherwise is ignorant. We were not forced to let all our receivers go whether you like them or not we had other options.Implication of the statement is that this is the only way we could handle this situation and that is not true hence the " no it isn't comment." 

WTF are we in complete rebuilding mode? This team was two wins away from being in the Superbowl..... 2nd best team in the NFC, elite young defense.... Instead we toss away a lot of the pieces it took to get this good and go into bargain basement shopping mode.
We're not rebuilding. Gettleman had a plan to fix the cap so he can build the team as he sees fit. We overachieved last year and now fans are in "win now" mode but Gettleman isn't going to take on any big contracts that will kick our salary cap woes further down the road just to make a run this year. We're going to have to face the consequences of fiscal irresponsibility sooner or later and they will only continue to get worse the longer we wait to deal with them.

did you watch our WR core last year?? It was brutal

Agree ^^

So smitty wasn't a number one and production dropped he's now gone but that's wrong.

Lafell was horrible unreliable and couldn't transform into a true number one, he's gone that's wrong.

Ginn dropped to many bombs he over performed but did make our return game better, he's gone that's wrong.

Hixon played a few snaps was never healthy or good enough to step in for one of the other tree guys. He's gone but that's wrong.

Whilst I agree smitty could been retained as a slot guy he hasn't but apart from that our receivers aren't that great at all! Last time I got excited about what we had was when we played two TE sets with shockey and olsen in 11. But I can't remember when I looked at our roster and got excited about our three or four receiving options!

Anyone that says Hardy isn't a priority has zero credibility in my book.

He's a top 3 DE and the #1 RE in the league. He's the #1 reason why our DBs can suck and we still have a top-5 defense. Get rid of him and you better find an elite CB and S to replace him with because good QBs can still pick apart even the best secondaries if you give them enough time with a weak pass rush.

Anyone that says Hardy isn't a priority has zero credibility in my book.

He's a top 3 DE and the #1 RE in the league. He's the #1 reason why our DBs can suck and we still have a top-5 defense. Get rid of him and you better find an elite CB and S to replace him with because good QBs can still pick apart even the best secondaries if you give them enough time with a weak pass rush.

Agree and although pass rush is the 3rd most important position behind QB and LT in my opinion losing him for nothing would have been a disaster, a longterm plan must be somewhere down the line I just do not see any business sense in renting a guy who walks for nothing when you could of just let him go this offseason and got your compensatory 3rd rounder atleast, I am disappointed we didn't go after a stud FA LT but I believe gettleman wants to build a new line so a drafted LT and RT wil be part of that idea.

Last year,  a lot of fans saw how completely inept our WR corp was.

LaFell and Ginn received larger contracts than the Panthers obviously thought they were worth.

I guess Gman noticed how much our WR corp struggled to get open at times,  how much they struggled to even look solid..

Hopefully this is just the first step ,   and the second step is to grab a bunch of very young WRs with potential,  so that Cam and the WRs can grow together.      If that's the case, I can't really fault him for wanting to tear apart one of our weakest units and try to rebuild it from the ground up so that it can one day be stronger..                    

Our team will still field an elite defense this season,  and with an elite defense,  winning can happen.      Our secondary will remain a weak link,  but should only be exposed if our front 7 fails to disrupt the qb.

89..   who knows what happened.  He has a fresh start with the Ravens though,  and we're paying him to play there.  So maybe this is a legit ,  complete rebuilding of our WR corp to best fit around Cam. 

Last year, a lot of fans saw how completely inept our WR corp was.

LaFell and Ginn received larger contracts than the Panthers obviously thought they were worth.

I guess Gman noticed how much our WR corp struggled to get open at times, how much they struggled to even look solid..

Hopefully this is just the first step , and the second step is to grab a bunch of very young WRs with potential, so that Cam and the WRs can grow together. If that's the case, I can't really fault him for wanting to tear apart one of our weakest units and try to rebuild it from the ground up so that it can one day be stronger..

Our team will still field an elite defense this season, and with an elite defense, winning can happen. Our secondary will remain a weak link, but should only be exposed if our front 7 fails to disrupt the qb.

89.. who knows what happened. He has a fresh start with the Ravens though, and we're paying him to play there. So maybe this is a legit , complete rebuilding of our WR corp to best fit around Cam.

To rational for some on here but good points made. can I just ask who has the youngest or most inexperienced receiving corps in the nfl?.

Archived