• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

give Growl input in this thread.

Growl

Alright so a while back I got pulled over for having a light out or something. To make a long story short, I had neither my license nor insurance, both of which were valid. I had a court date set, and had to reschedule and ultimately ended up forgetting the second date.

Went and turned myself in, got all that sorted out and set up a new court date. A few days after sorting out the warrants I had to go out of town. While travel!ng i got pulled over because, supposedly, my trailer hitch covered up my tag and as it turned out, my license was suspended. Did not know that it was. So have a new court date in a distant land for driving with a suspended license, and praise to the Lord was not taken to jail that night.

Anyways, I went to court date today back home to sort out the first tickets. The license and insurance. The Judge totally cleared them, didnt even have to pay court costs. Saw they were valid at the time I was pulled over and dropped everything.

What I'm asking now is what am I looking at with the second more serious one. My hope, is that they too will be cleared since everything checked out from my inital tickets, but I'm not sure. Hope I don't even have to make the trip. Not sure.

Anyways, what am I looking at here? I have a few traffic tickets from when I was younger, but beyond that my record is spotless.

Even if your license was invalid, if you go to court with a proof of having obtained a valid license, your case will be dismissed. You can always contract the District Attorney's office and ask if they will dismiss prior to the court date if you mail in or fax verification. 

I had a ticket for an expired tag and missed the court date. I called the DA's office and they referred me to the judges office for a recall order (to bring the ticket back into court at a later date). The judge was out that day and the secretary/assistant just had me fax in verification of a new registration and the whole thing was dismissed despite me having missed the original court date. 

Guest Dark Knight

Driving without your license or with an expired tag is a pretty lazy & immature thing to do. Whatever punishment you receive is justifiable and well earned.

Cool. Appreciated. Came across this while searching the web. Granted it's dealing with Illinois state law but backs what you guys are saying:

Often, the underlying suspension or revocation can be removed (or “cleared”) from your driving record. Many times the state’s attorney will offer to dismiss a driving while suspended case once the suspension has been cleared, if the underlying basis was not serious. Even if they won’t drop the case, the prosecutor or court make a much more lenient offer to someone who has taken the necessary steps to clear up his or her license

Driving without your license or with an expired tag is a pretty lazy & immature thing to do. Whatever punishment you receive is justifiable and well earned.

lol if anyone gets stuck behind that guy driving exaaaaaaaaaactly 43 in a 45 and braking 600 feet before the red light it's a safe bet you're looking at forum poster dark night's rear bumper

Yes it will be cleared. Cop was a dick and could have looked up you DL #. Call up there before your court date and DA will prob clear it up

Usually they will just look up your DL#....has happened to me before at a DWI checkpoint. 

However, not having proof of insurance is slightly different.  They will usually give you a ticket for this and tell you to go to the courthouse with proof of insurance and the ticket will be dismissed.

They cannot convict you of Driving on Suspension if you did not know you were suspended, at least thats how it is here in VA. The arresting offices do not see why youre suspended, just that you are. Prove you didnt know, the letter notifying you getting to the house after your arrest really helps, and it should be dropped no worries....

Archived