• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pitfalls of adopting a new pup

bleys

I'm in a condo and have been looking for a Staffordshire Bull Terrier on CL that needs a new home because I think that breed will fit well into my situation.  Also, a friend sold me on them a long time ago.  Laid back, sweet, and somewhat lazy for the most part.  

And so I've found a 2 year old female that needs a new home.  One perk is she's trained already and I get the sense she doesn't have many bad habits (of which I'll confirm before I actually commit)..

The condo I'm at has an indoor hall and I'm on the 3rd floor so neighbors are somewhat of a concern.  I'm not worried if they think the dog will eat them because I can't fix ignorance but I can make sure I have a well behaved dog.  This breed isn't much of a concern in that aspect, but again, I'll meet the dog and confirm my intuition before I commit.

I've usually had a bigger space to keep an animal with an outdoor pen so I guess I'm posting to hear different comments on this situation or any experience with an animal in smaller confines like where I'm at.

She will get plenty of exercise..  likely get walked 2 times a day and hit the dog parks frequently.  It's day to day that concerns me.  I don't want her experiencing cabin fever and I seriously doubt that will be the case but I guess I just want reassured all will be well before I take on the responsibility.

yeah, I'm aware of all that.  I would have taken yours in a second if you could have waited a few months.  ;)

but I don't have a landlord, and there are other pitbulls staying in this area so HOA isn't an issue.  I'm just used to having a little more space and a spot outside that the dog can hang out when I am away.  I guess I'm just looking for a little reassurance or fair warnings..  With enough exercise, I don't really think there will be a problem though.

Doesn't matter how well behaved your dog is, at first people will most likely act afraid of it because of it's breed.  I know because I own two currently, and have owned multiple over the years.  Already being trained is awesome though, but you'll still need a crate and a ton of toys. They love to chew and will become destructive with nothing to occupy their time.  I suggest kong toys, most others don't stand up to the chewing abuse. You should also avoid dog parks with your pit.  Even if they don't start trouble, they will finish it and they will catch the blame.  Socialize her with other well known and trusted dogs.  Two long walks a day will help, but still expect some high energy indoors antics.  They might appear to be lazy and sleep a lot, but when they are awake they always have the energy to go crazy at random times. All part of the breed.  If you have instagram, you can follow some well known pitbull accounts and watch the videos and look at the pictures, you can expect  your pit to act just like all the rest, assuming they aren't an abused rescue dog

the staffordshire bull terrier is a much smaller dog than the american staffordshire terrier...  well, maybe not much smaller, but there's a noticeable difference.  

you can see their size around :42..  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deLBEM8Xp3w

good tip on that particular chew toy.  my last dog would eat through something similar without a problem..  that looks a little more durable though.

and I'll double check with the HOA..  

I highly doubt your residency will allow you to have a Staffordshire. They will say it's a Pit Bull type, which it is because that's partially what a Pit comes from. It will be on the "dangerous breed" list, which is stupid. They are lovable dogs & have a much different temperament than pits.

I got grief & constant harassment from a woman who freaked out when I moved into my condo. Bitch complained to the Realtor & then went to the city council & wouldn't get over it. She was terrified of my evil Doberman. Keep in mind my Doberman is a highly trained Schutzhund. He is the most well behaved dog you will ever encounter. He does not bark or walk up to strangers. He sticks to my side with his eyes glued to mine & pays other people & animals no attention. Meanwhile, this dumb bitch had a Poodle that barked at everyone it saw & had next to no restraint from her commands. It nipped at my legs & feet pretty much anytime it got close enough. Even broke the skin once. Lease manager told her my dog was welcome & she needed to let it go or move. She still kept harassing me & running her goddamn mouth.

I finally forced a meeting with the lease manager & told her in front of him that I was fearful of my well being around her animal & if it attacked me again I would command my dog to protect me.

She moved out about 3 weeks later.

90% of HOA laws are worthless & only have power if you give it. I would've told them to HMD.

Not totally true.

If the laws were put in place prior to you purchasing the home/condo....they are eqully and consistently applied to all situations...they are very enforceable.

The places where HOA's really get themselves in trouble is when they do not consistentl apply the rules.  One slip up and a good lawyer can shred them.

Lets be real here, regardless of your dog's actual breed, if it looks like a pit in America, it's a pit. I love all the genetic variations and crosses that have been created, but the generalized term of pit bull is ridiculous. As an actual owner you will be able to spot the differences. An actual APBT is only supposed to weigh up to about 40 lbs, similar in size to the video you posted. Most of the "pits" you see today, especially of the "blue" variety, that are 50-60-70+ pounds, have been crossed with the American Staffordshire terrier to get the large "bully" look. But it's still a pit. The only certified legit APBT will be ADBA registered, I believe AKC and UKC only recognizes Staffordshire terriers, and most of the everyday "pits" you find with papers are probably CKC, because it's piss easy to get CKC papers for your dog.

Also, they will eventually destroy the Kong as well, but it will easily last ten times longer than other toys, and if you can find the black ones instead of the red ones, they are for the serious chewer and will last even longer.

Definitely check out all your lease paperwork for breed/weight restrictions and animal fees, keep her leashed in public, and pick up your dog's crap, so annoying that people won't clean up after their dogs lol. They're an amazing breed when properly cared for, but the stigma is there so it's up to you be a "breed ambassador". Not saying that you necessarily want to go all activist and change everyone's opinion, but if you take your dog in public everything you do and do not do will sway the public's opinion for all of us pibble owners.

Sent from my LG-US780 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

i dont know but that dog breed is fuging badass.

a friend introduced this breed to me a long time ago.  A very relaxed and chill animal like an english bulldog.  This was the original pitbull before the American variety.  I believe this is where the term "nanny dog" originated.  As you can see in the video, they are very empathetic and one of the best dogs you could bring home of any breed.

I highly doubt your residency will allow you to have a Staffordshire. They will say it's a Pit Bull type, which it is because that's partially what a Pit comes from. It will be on the "dangerous breed" list, which is stupid. They are lovable dogs & have a much different temperament than pits.

Meanwhile, this dumb bitch had a Poodle that barked at everyone it saw & had next to no restraint from her commands. It nipped at my legs & feet pretty much anytime it got close enough. Even broke the skin once. Lease manager told her my dog was welcome & she needed to let it go or move. She still kept harassing me & running her goddamn mouth.

collies, poodles, and others are more prone to biting people than pitbulls..  

however, my neighbor is head of the HOA so I'll swoon her over to my side.  especially after she sees the cute little monster I'll bring home.  

again, there are several bigger bullys in the complex and I see mostly women walking them so I get the sense they are widely accepted..  I'll verify the actual demands of the HOA though..

Archived