• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2014 World Cup

Ja  Rhule

Dumb dumb dumb to leave Donavan off.

I know Jurgen is trying to signal the changing of the guard by going young but the 23rd player on the roster is not going to see the field anyway.

Donavan provided expereince and leadership, something that this team lacks severely.

I love Dempsey but at times he seems very me-first.

Hopefully Beasley is able to provide some experience to this very young group.

I think most people upset with Donovan being left off don't really follow USMNT very closely. He has admitted several times that he is getting close to being out of gas. He's also said he's lacked motivation at times. Both are disastrous traits when it comes to the World Cup and the ridiculous travel schedule we have. I also think his self-imposed sabbatical last year irked Klinsmann quite a bit.

You're both assuming quite a bit there. I'll take 32 year old, out if gas Landon Donovan over a useless Altidore all day. Even if it's just for experience and leadership. You can't tell me not having Donovan as an option to bring in for the final 15 of a critical game isn't a big deal.

I think most people upset with Donovan being left off don't really follow USMNT very closely. He has admitted several times that he is getting close to being out of gas. He's also said he's lacked motivation at times. Both are disastrous traits when it comes to the World Cup and the ridiculous travel schedule we have. I also think his self-imposed sabbatical last year irked Klinsmann quite a bit.

It doesn't matter if he is out of gas, lacks motivation, whatever.

Klinsmann and Donavan have a personal beef, that's the only reason he's not on this squad. If you don't believe me look at what his son tweeted out.

Oh and with 23 players on the roster it doesn't matter how old he is, Donavan will always be better than the 23rd guy selected.

You're both assuming quite a bit there. I'll take 32 year old, out if gas Landon Donovan over a useless Altidore all day. Even if it's just for experience and leadership. You can't tell me not having Donovan as an option to bring in for the final 15 of a critical game isn't a big deal.

Unless your country is deep with talent, such as Spain or Germany, you don't include a player on your roster to maybe play 15 minutes. If someone gets hurt, you've got to know that player can go a full 90 if you absolutely have to.

It doesn't matter if he is out of gas, lacks motivation, whatever.

Klinsmann and Donavan have a personal beef, that's the only reason he's not on this squad. If you don't believe me look at what his son tweeted out.

Oh and with 23 players on the roster it doesn't matter how old he is, Donavan will always be better than the 23rd guy selected.

Ummm...it does matter if he's out of gas and lacks motivation. In fact, that's a huge factor...

And yes, Klinsmann doesn't like Donovan. Donovan decided he was too tired to help the US qualify for the WC, but suddenly when we are on the brink of qualification, he's good to go.

And that last sentence is about the most elementary view you can take to creating a WC roster.

Not too worried about Donovan being left off. People will rage about it because he's one of the only USMNT players they know, but the fact is he's not that good anymore....

But, Algeria!

Yea. We are all very thankful for everything Donovan has done for us. He's been great to watch, but his time has passed. He's been really bad in club play in a league that isn't very challenging.

Unless your country is deep with talent, such as Spain or Germany, you don't include a player on your roster to maybe play 15 minutes. If someone gets hurt, you've got to know that player can go a full 90 if you absolutely have to.

I didn't say to have him ONLY play 15 mins. And yes, there are specific guys designed as energy guys who can come in and either defend, score , or control the midfield in certain situations.

Landon didn't say he couldn't go a full 90. He said he couldn't practice at a high level for 10 days in a row.

But, Algeria!

Yea. We are all very thankful for everything Donovan has done for us. He's been great to watch, but his time has passed. He's been really bad in club play in a league that isn't very challenging.

Let us know when you're done acting like you know more than everyone else.

Let us know when you're done acting like you know more than everyone else.

I don't know more than everyone else. But I happen to strongly agree with the guy paid to make these decisions, and just about every country has and will make the same decision when it comes down to it. When it becomes difficult for players to play a full match or train to the level of other guys you bring, they have to go.

Archived