• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Yedlin Could Be the First To Cash In

DeAndre Yedlin is currently making $92k a season. To put that in perspective, Team USA players made $76k for playing in the group stages and received a undisclosed bonus for advancing out of the group of death. Is it any wonder athletes flock to other sports when one of the United States brightest young stars is making $92k a year...

The good news is the European clubs were impressed with his athleticism and mentality. Yahoo is reporting that AS Roma has already put in a substantial bid and his transfer is almost finalized. The transfer fee is believed to be in the region of $8m which the player is entitled to 10% of. So DeAndre Yedlin had projected earnings of $92k 2 months ago. If the estimates hold true, he made $900k in three substitute appearances. Obviously a big club like Roma will raise his salary considerably as well.

Here is the catch. He probably won't play. It's being reported that he will be allowed to remain in the MLS for the remainder of the season before joining Roma. To me this says they intend to use him only as a reserve for this season and maybe a few more seasons. Going to big clubs is always difficult because they bring in 4 DeAndre Yedlins every season. He could never see the field and it could make it difficult for him to develop. I always thought the biggest mistake Oguchi Onyewu made was going to Milan to loiter on the bench. 

But it's a risk he has to take. The money he will make off the transfer fee alone is an enormous windfall for the young man. 

I am curious to see if anyone else has a big World Cup cash in. James has to be on everyone's radar.

http://www.si.com/soccer/planet-futbol/2014/05/20/world-cup-usa-usmnt-player-bonuses-money-ussf

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report--deandre-yedlin-set-for-big-move-to-as-roma-in-italy-154412009.html

I'd love to see us keep more talent in-house, but the fact remains that until the American public takes soccer more seriously, these guys will go elsewhere. They can't afford to pay them more without butts in the seats, but without major talent, the public won't pay top dollar to see games. It's a nasty catch 22 that I hope can be cured with this whole "twilight of their career" global player movement to the MLS that we've been seeing lately.

Hope Yedlin gets a shot wherever he goes, but it's up to him to make the starting squad. The payoff alone makes it worth the risk, even if he wastes a few years on the bench before moving elsewhere. Good for him.

Every nation has players languishing on the bench of top clubs. See Alexis Sanchez. It perhaps hurts us more because our depth is so thin. Every 4 years we patch together a starting 11 with a few weaknesses and behind those players it gets bleak. There are certain things Americans don't learn in our colleges and clubs and they start out behind the curve. We are still capable of producing terrific players, we just have to make sure they choose to play for us and not the Italians.

It could be a requirement that the MLS or the Sounders are stipulating for the transfer. Seattle is first in the Western Conference so they'd want to keep their best defender till the end of the season. Serie A has a Christmas time break in their season, so it would give Yedlin time to rest. Hopefully he'll get to play a lot when he's there.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Archived