• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PJ Hairston punched a high school kid tonight?

SCP

He was playing ball at the Y. Not fighting at the club at 3:00am.

You can question why he was at the Y, but a lot of high school, college, and semi pro players play ball at they Y. It isn't that crazy.

Some of you guys can't let certain allegiances go. This was a misdemeanor charge for a minor kerfuffle during a pick up game. The charges were brought by the kid, not the police.

The college stuff is only about a speeding ticket and a weed charge that nobody knows who's it was.

The poo Cam Newton was involved with in college was more egregious than what PJ did, or at least on par.

I agree PJ needs to stay out of Durham and Greensboro, but some of you guys already have your minds made up because you are State or Duke jock sniffers

Then again, I am a UNC jock sniffer so what do I know. :D

Duke and NC State fans have no reason to dislike him because if he stayed at UNC they'd of won the ACC and been in the Elite 8 at least. I am a wolf pack fan and have been a huge fan UNC players in the past (Ty Lawson, Danny Green, Tyler Zeller, Harrison Barnes) however PJ Hairston is doing stupid stuff when he should be acting like a professional. It's time recognize the problem before it's too late. Ignoring it and saying "He's just young" won't cut it. If you'd rather smoke weed then live the American Dream of being an NBA star then something is seriously wrong with you.

I agree that there is no reason to care about him playing ball at the Y. I've played with several college players and even an NBA player before in pick up games at the Y so it's not a big deal. However, REGARDLESS (and I emphasize regardless) of rather the kid provoked PJ verbally or even physically (but I doubt he assaulted PJ and got everyone in the gym to lie about it) he should not be getting in fights with high schoolers.

He is a professional now. Being a professional does/should not just mean playing like one, it should also mean acting like one. He needs to grow up. Best to get it out of the way now rather then later I suppose.

The issue is not everyone comes from that mindset nor that background. That's where people who haven't come from a similar background don't get it... just because he was drafted doesnt mean he turns his imaginary "switch" from immature kid to professional.

And again, a lot of his problem is his reputation. Which again, I can relate to... look at the generalizations made in this thread. "You're a professional now, so you can't be out there smoking weed." For one, where was it ever proven he smoked weed? Two, do you know how many professional athletes smoke weed religiously?

That's where reputation comes into play. "Oh he hangs out with felons? Got pulled over in a car with weed in it and they threw out a gun? He's a drug dealing gangbanger." "PJ got into a fight? There goes that felon again doing his usual criminal activities!" I'm not saying that's what is being said, but he almost becomes like an urban legend. It becomes bigger than what it really was.

From my own personal experience, I never drank or smoked anything. Never have, never will. But, because of who I hung out with, authority figures assumed I did. That became who I was, whether it was true or not. That's his problem now.

He has to realize, whether he was in the NBA or not, some guys just can't be out there doing stuff that everyone else does. You have to be cautious and mindful about everything you do... he's not a criminal, he's just making really bad choices. He's just got to decide to make different ones. I think the issue is the loyalty he feels to those around him.

He has to realize, whether he was in the NBA or not, some guys just can't be out there doing stuff that everyone else does. You have to be cautious and mindful about everything you do... he's not a criminal, he's just making really bad choices. He's just got to decide to make different ones. I think the issue is the loyalty he feels to those around him.

Ding, ding, ding!

Sent from my iPhone

No issue with an NBA draft pick playing at the Y.   WIth PJ's past of making poor decisions, maybe not the best decision.

No issue really if he punched the kid IF the kid threw the first punch.  With anyone else, I wouldn't have much of an issue if it was a retaliation for a hard foul, or in your face type of confrontation.  WIth PJ's past of making poor decisions, maybe not the best decision.

I'm a Carolina fan, and was thrilled with the Hornets picking him. If the video shows that this was an undeserved punch in the face, I'll be super disappointed and color myself WRONG in being happy with the pick.

Sooner or later you gotta make decent decisions PJ, or you're gonna be another Chris Washburn or endless other waste of talent.

Kid gets punked by PJ, kid_& his posse run to police & make crap up looking for attention & a free payday.

CCTV video is released. PJ is driving to the lane like a bullin a China shop, his elbow pops kid in the forehead, kid gets all huffy-puffy & takes a swing at PJ, PJ knocks the f*%+ out of kid & leaves.

Kid gets punked by PJ, kid_& his posse run to police & make crap up looking for attention & a free payday.

CCTV video is released. PJ is driving to the lane like a bullin a China shop, his elbow pops kid in the forehead, kid gets all huffy-puffy & takes a swing at PJ, PJ knocks the f*%+ out of kid & leaves.

Where did u see that?

No issue really if he punched the kid IF the kid threw the first punch.  

I don't think so. As a public relations out lash on the organization, he should have had the right people around him to calm tensions and Hairston should have walked away. 

Look, pro athletes deal with young punks all the time who are jealous of their success and try to show them up. This guy was clearly running his mouth the whole game, Hairston lost his cool and fists started to fly.

Mike Tyson was notorious for getting into bar fights with drunk morons who were like, "you ain't s*** Mike". Tyson punched back but that's boxing. Boxing fans expect a bull in a china shop. The NBA has an image to present as family friendly entertainment and they want to hide innocents such as this and Ron Artest punching fans, from the public.

The fact is, when you move on with your career, it's time to find new friends and having positive role models around you. The right people would have broke up the altercation before it escalated. This is also why a lot of people felt that Hairston playing his pro ball in his home state of North Carolina may have not been wise. Some people just need to walk away from their past. At the same time, I'm hoping that PJ can make it work here because I like his potential. 

I'm guessing this is hypothetical? It would be nice if you cleared it up.

No issue with an NBA draft pick playing at the Y.   WIth PJ's past of making poor decisions, maybe not the best decision.

No issue really if he punched the kid IF the kid threw the first punch.  With anyone else, I wouldn't have much of an issue if it was a retaliation for a hard foul, or in your face type of confrontation.  WIth PJ's past of making poor decisions, maybe not the best decision.

I'm a Carolina fan, and was thrilled with the Hornets picking him. If the video shows that this was an undeserved punch in the face, I'll be super disappointed and color myself WRONG in being happy with the pick.

Sooner or later you gotta make decent decisions PJ, or you're gonna be another Chris Washburn or endless other waste of talent.

I'm a Duke fan, and I too was thrilled with the Hornets picking him.

The guy may indeed be stupid as fuq but, I don't want him to be my finacial advisor, I want him to drain 3's from BFE for my team.

I don't worry about this incident.  I worry about the building evidence and expected trajectory of where this may be pointing.

MJ need to call his ass into the "Big Office", close the door and have a coming to Jesus moment followed by some wall-to-wall counseling.

Problem fixed.

Oh..........that, and Michael needs to hire someone to "take care of" Fats.

Archived