• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hayward agrees to sign

They have $30mil in cap space. Who else are they gonna spend that money on? Either way they're gonna look like morons.

They'll have either let their 3 best players walk away for absolutely no compensation within a 12 month span, of they'll be paying Hayward nearly $15mil more than he asked them to give him a few months ago.

Dolts.

They have 2 young bigs and almost a log jam on the wings now. Can they truly afford to give him a max?? They could have signed him for way less before FA'S.

This is the absolute perfect time to make this move. While everybody else is obsessed with courting the big three, we come in and sign one of the best available SF on the market. When the LeBron domino falls we're going to see teams start throwing money around and if Hayward could get a max deal from us he could get it elsewhere too. The Jazz wouldn't go higher than $12 a year for him and now they're going to have to pay him $16 large if they want to keep him. Charlotte isn't exactly a hot spot for free agents right now so if we have to pay him over slot a few million it's not the end of the world. This would be a fantastic piece for us to add now that we've decided we're going to go all in trying to climb in the East.

I hope they're not serious about matching. Teams have historically not been in favor of matching. There have been 41 offer sheets made since 2005 and only 17 were matched. So that means most of the time it's a better than coin flip chance that the offering team gets their player in this situation.

They only have 3 days to match, not 7.

They have 3 days to match it from the time he signs the offer. He can't even sign the offer for 2 more days. So you're both wrong, it's 5 days.

If they match it Charlotte is gonna miss out on everybody. Utah will wait until the last second to officially match it & Charlotte's cap will have been tied up for 5 days.

Cho/Jordan are taking a gamble.

Hayward has a lot of talent. I honestly will be very happy if this goes through.

He's a great all around guy. I really like that he can pass the ball. That alone could be a huge upgrade for us.

I repeat: Hayward should not be making more than Jefferson.

If Hayward is making that much, he should be an All-Star next season, and Jefferson should be the second option behind Hayward, which will not be the case.

Kemba should also be running the offense to get Hayward the ball, which will also not be the case.

Since none of those things will be the case, then Hayward is not worth the number he was offered.

I like him as a player, just not at that number. 

They have 3 days to match it from the time he signs the offer. He can't even sign the offer for 2 more days. So you're both wrong, it's 5 days.

If they match it Charlotte is gonna miss out on everybody. Utah will wait until the last second to officially match it & Charlotte's cap will have been tied up for 5 days.

Whether or not they match it, I want to see a trade to free up some more cap space for this year. 

Who are we missing out on??

It sounds like the Jazz are matching so It is somewhat moot. I haven't watched Hayward since the Duke game. His numbers look good. They are going up every year. The fact Big Al is our Talisman and a former teammate of Hayward tells me they get along. I don't see Hayward as a super star so I don't think he is going to lead us to the Finals. But he can go out there and hit some shots, make some passes. Get us in the playoffs and have some excitement. 

In the NFL it's realistic to build a team and think you can compete for the Super Bowl. In the NBA you have to lower expectations. We've been told Big Markets rule but the Nicks have been poo for 15 years.

My only concern is buyers remorse and missing out because we have no cap space. With that said Hayward has played 68+ games a season since coming into the NBA. He's 24 years old. I would be excited to have him. Even if I regret it 3 years from now.

Archived