• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bill Barnwell's NFL Trade Values

CarolinaNCSU

Grantland's Barnwell usually does a great job, and despite his NFL trade value column being more of a copy-cat of Bill Simmons's NBA version, and more useless since NFL player trades are rare, it's still a fun read. Part 2 (The Top 30) was released today, featured 3 Panthers, and is sure to enrage the Huddle at one point specifically. Keep in mind, trade value takes into account performance AND contract, not just who is the better player.

25. Greg Hardy, DE, Carolina

Hardy, meanwhile, will make more with the franchise tag this year ($13.1 million) than Clowney will make over the next two and a half seasons combined. You would rather have Hardy in a vacuum because the 25-year-old has actually done it at the pro level, having produced a DPOY-caliber season with 15 sacks a year ago, but there’s a good chance Clowney actually outproduces Hardy next year at a fraction of the cost. Actually, switch these two up. Clowney’s at 25 and Hardy’s at 26.

24. Luke Kuechly, MLB, Carolina

Carolina’s playmaker and defensive leader, Kuechly was a worthy choice as Defensive Player of the Year in his second season as a pro. Blessedly for Carolina’s still-terrible cap situation, Kuechly is two years removed from a serious raise and still has three cost-controlled years left before he’ll be due an extension, at which point Carolina’s cap woes should finally be over. The reason he’s not higher is simply that teams don’t value middle linebackers all that much; it’s why Kuechly, who just about everyone agreed was a star heading into the 2012 draft, fell to the Panthers at nine. This is about as high as it gets for players at a non-premium position; after Kuechly, 22 of the final 23 selections play one of the five critical positions in the modern pass-first game (quarterback, wide receiver, left tackle, pass-rusher, and cornerback).

Luke is too low, IMO, but he makes his case based on MLB being devalued. Now, for the part I can't agree with (as I'm sure most will agree with me)...

6. Cam Newton, QB, Carolina
5. Colin Kaepernick, QB, San Francisco

I'll link because this section is lengthy, but his points essentially are, Kaep's wins in the playoffs (I say his team moreso than him, though he's done well), the contract (Kaep's team friendly deal, opposed to Cam's future one), and the last two reasons are "silly" IMO. Carolina hasn't put a team around Cam (due to salary cap issues), and Cam's "lack of growth". Barnwell is by no means a Cam hater so don't get these last two twisted. He's basically just saying Cam has always been good and his media portrayed struggles were silly and overblown. Of course, Regardless, a fun read if nothing else but for the Carolina content. 

http://grantland.com/features/nfl-trade-value-assets-part-2/

Your guys/prospects are only worth as much as the GM your dealing with values them.

Ask every GM and I bet not one list looks the same.

Exactly, and it depends on who's on the team. Cam would be worth nothing to the Packers or Seahawks just as Patrick Willis would be worth nothing to us.

Reasons analysts place Luck, Wilson, & Kaepernick ahead of Newton:

1) playoff success

Someone might wanna remind them that Mark Sanchez played in back to back AFC Championship Games his 2/3 seasons. If that's the only reason they can think of, that should tell you everything.

Also...

26- Clowney

25- Hardy

... is a joke

Reasons analysts place Luck, Wilson, & Kaepernick ahead of Newton:

1) playoff success

Someone might wanna remind them that Mark Sanchez played in back to back AFC Championship Games his 2/3 seasons. If that's the only reason they can think of, that should tell you everything.

Also...

26- Clowney

25- Hardy

... is a joke

Wilson and Kaepernick at least do have playoff success over Cam at this time.  IMHO winning a wildcard game is no better than earning a first round bye (a de-facto playoff win). 

I said after the Cardinals game last year I wouldn't trade Cam for anyone in the history of football.  11 wins later I d@mn sure ain't changing my stance. 

Wilson and Kaepernick also enjoy being complimentary pieces in their offenses.  They're not placed with the burden of essentially BEING the offense like Cam has thus far in his career.  QB is the only significant advantage we have over those two teams in terms or our offenses.  Both the Seahawks and 49ers are much better than us at OL, RB (I hope Double Trouble is legitimately back, but recent performance heavily favors Gore and Lynch), and WR.  Vernon Davis is more dynamic than Olsen, but I'm not sure I'd call him better.  He's definitely better than the Seahawks' Zach Miller though.  So, basically Cam and arguably Olsen are our only offensive advantages over those teams.

Archived