• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A closer look at Bersin preseason stats

Jeremy Igo

Since Cam isn't playing this week, maybe we should not play Benjamin and take a long look at Bersin, Avant, King, and Cotchery to see which wr is #2, #3, and #4 . Brown is the return man.  Let their play on the field be the judge.  I would like to see the passes thrown versus the catch results.  I don't remember Bersin not catching all thrown to him.

People always try to rationalize their hope with false logic.

Jimmy Clausen was going to put it together because Brett Favre had a bad rookie season.

Haruki Nakamura was going to become a great safety because he played behind Ed Reed all those years.

I guarantee you there are 32 fan bases right now that think they have the next Victor Cruz.

Lamont Bryant was going to be Plaxico Burress.

A guy made a post the other day about all the teams that got blown out in the third preseason game and made the playoffs.

All of it is anecdotal.

Arian Foster going undrafted because he made an ass of himself during the draft has no correlation with Bersin's career path.

What we do know is Bersin has spent the past two seasons on the practice squad. In other words, he's been out of college for three years and been cut twice. Last year Bersin was on the scout team, Cotchery was catching touchdowns.

I'm sure we will get him some reps this season and more playing time if guys get hurt, but you guys that expect him to go from practice squad to starter sound desperate. At least with the David Gettis fan club, they could point to his 2010 performances. Bersin has never even made the team before.

And this all comes back to people that are not satisfied with Avant and Cotchery. They are hoping for something better. I think you are undervaluing the veterans. Taye Biddle had more yards and touchdowns than Bersin in one preseason game. But it doesn't mean anything. Preseason stats don't mean anything.

And those same people claim we are much better at WR this year. They are desperately trying to make their statements from March hold up. Let's just face it, you can't let all of your WRs go and expect everything to be ok.

He's saying 99.99% of stars arnt UDFA. I'm saying it's not. Nothing about every player in the league because in that case there is just as few star drafted players compared to the whole league. Just judging star drafted players vs star undrafted.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

So, each team has a 53 man roster.  That means each year there are 1696 players on a roster at any given time.  And you picked a handful of players over about a 20 year span.  Again, I stand by my statement.  

So, each team has a 53 man roster. That means each year there are 1696 players on a roster at any given time. And you picked a handful of players over about a 20 year span. Again, I stand by my statement.

None of that matters. Your saying a UDFA can't become a all pro star and it's very rare. I'm saying it's rare to be a all pro star period and being a UDFA doesn't reduce their chances. If you wanna argue the validity of UDFA being good enough to play with the starters we could take all starters and pick out all of the UDFA vs Drafted players and see what statistic that shoots out. I'm positive it won't be 99% drafted and 1% UDFA.

None of that matters. Your saying a UDFA can't become a all pro star and it's very rare. I'm saying it's rare to be a all pro star period and being a UDFA doesn't reduce their chances. If you wanna argue the validity of UDFA being good enough to play with the starters we could take all starters and pick out all of the UDFA vs Drafted players and see what statistic that shoots out. I'm positive it won't be 99% drafted and 1% UDFA.

Let's take it to the tape!

Last year's all-pro team:

Quarterback:

Peyton Manning (1st Round)

Running backs:

LeSean McCoy (Second Round)

Jamaal Charles (Second Round)

Second team:

Adrian Peterson (First Round)

Eddie Lacy (Second Round)

Fullback: Mike Tolbert (Undrafted)

Second team: Marcel Reece (Undrafted)

Tight End: Jimmy Graham (Third Round)

Second team: Vernon Davis   (First Round)

Wide receivers:

Calvin Johnson  (First Round)

Josh Gordon  (Second Round, Supplemental)

Second team:

A.J. Green   (First Round)

Demaryius Thomas  (First Round)

Antonio Brown   (6th Round)

Tackles:

Joe Thomas  (First Round)

Jason Peters    (Undrafted)

Second team:

Tyron Smith    (First Round)

Joe Staley    (First Round) 

Offensive guards:

Louis Vasquez   (Third Round)

Evan Mathis   (Third Round)

Second team:

Jahri Evans  (Fourth Round)

Logan Mankins  (First Round)

Josh Sitton   (Fourth Round)

Center:

Ryan Kalil (Second Round)

Alex Mack (First Round)

Defense

Defensive end:

J.J. Watt (First Round)

Robert Quinn (First Round)

Second team:

Mario Williams (First Round)

Greg Hardy (Sixth Round)

Defensive tackle:

Gerald McCoy (First Round)

Ndamukong Suh (First Round)

Second team:

Dontari Poe (First Round)

Muhammad Wilkerson (First Round)

Jurrell Casey (Third Round)

Justin Smith (First Round)

Outside linebackers:

Robert Mathis  (Fifth Round)

Lavonte David (Second Round)

Second team:

Tamba Hali (First Round)

Ahmad Brooks (Third Round)

Inside linebackers:

Luke Kuechly (First Round)

NaVorro Bowman  (Third Round

Second team:

Vontaze Burfict (Undrafted)

Karlos Dansby (Second Round)

Cornerbacks:

Richard Sherman (Fifth Round)

Patrick Peterson (First Round)

Second team:

Aqib Talib (First Round)

Joe Haden (First Round)

Alterraun Verner (4th Round)

Safeties:

Earl Thomas (First Round)

Eric Berry (First Round)

Second team:

Eric Weddle (Second Round)

Kam Chancellor (Fifth Round)

Jairus Byrd (Second Round)

T.J. Ward (Second Round)

Devin McCourty (First Round)

Antrel Rolle (First Round)

By my hastily done count that is :

28 First Rounders

10 Second Rounders

6 Third Rounders

3 Fourth Rounders

3 Fifth Rounders

2 Sixth Rounders

0 Seventh Rounders

and 4 Undrafted Free Agents.

So for all-pros the obvious correlation is being a first rounder. There were as many first rounders (28) as all the other rounds and undrafted free agency combined (28).

You also have to consider the volume of undrafted free agents as well. We brought in, what, nine undrafted guys? That's more than we drafted. So I don't think being an undrafted free agent hurts you aspire to be a starter or all-pro anymore than falling out of the top three rounds does. It's just that this league, as of late, seems to be monopolized by high draft picks.

28 First Rounders

10 Second Rounders

6 Third Rounders

3 Fourth Rounders

3 Fifth Rounders

2 Sixth Rounders

0 Seventh Rounders

So for all-pros the obvious correlation is being a first rounder. There were as many first rounders (28) as all the other rounds and undrafted free agency combined (28).

You also have to consider the volume of undrafted free agents as well. We brought in, what, nine undrafted guys? That's more than we drafted. So I don't think being an undrafted free agent hurts you aspire to be a starter or all-pro anymore than falling out of the top three rounds does. It's just that this league, as of late, seems to be monopolized by high draft picks.

I love you.

Let's take it to the tape!

Last year's all-pro team:

Quarterback:

Peyton Manning (1st Round)

Running backs:

LeSean McCoy (Second Round)

Jamaal Charles (Second Round)

Second team:

Adrian Peterson (First Round)

Eddie Lacy (Second Round)

Fullback: Mike Tolbert (Undrafted)

Second team: Marcel Reece (Undrafted)

Tight End: Jimmy Graham (Third Round)

Second team: Vernon Davis (First Round)

Wide receivers:

Calvin Johnson (First Round)

Josh Gordon (Second Round, Supplemental)

Second team:

A.J. Green (First Round)

Demaryius Thomas (First Round)

Antonio Brown (6th Round)

Tackles:

Joe Thomas (First Round)

Jason Peters (Undrafted)

Second team:

Tyron Smith (First Round)

Joe Staley (First Round)

Offensive guards:

Louis Vasquez (Third Round)

Evan Mathis (Third Round)

Second team:

Jahri Evans (Fourth Round)

Logan Mankins (First Round)

Josh Sitton (Fourth Round)

Center:

Ryan Kalil (Second Round)

Alex Mack (First Round)

Defense

Defensive end:

J.J. Watt (First Round)

Robert Quinn (First Round)

Second team:

Mario Williams (First Round)

Greg Hardy (Sixth Round)

Defensive tackle:

Gerald McCoy (First Round)

Ndamukong Suh (First Round)

Second team:

Dontari Poe (First Round)

Muhammad Wilkerson (First Round)

Jurrell Casey (Third Round)

Justin Smith (First Round)

Outside linebackers:

Robert Mathis (Fifth Round)

Lavonte David (Second Round)

Second team:

Tamba Hali (First Round)

Ahmad Brooks (Third Round)

Inside linebackers:

Luke Kuechly (First Round)

NaVorro Bowman (Third Round

Second team:

Vontaze Burfict (Undrafted)

Karlos Dansby (Second Round)

Cornerbacks:

Richard Sherman (Fifth Round)

Patrick Peterson (First Round)

Second team:

Aqib Talib (First Round)

Joe Haden (First Round)

Alterraun Verner (4th Round)

Safeties:

Earl Thomas (First Round)

Eric Berry (First Round)

Second team:

Eric Weddle (Second Round)

Kam Chancellor (Fifth Round)

Jairus Byrd (Second Round)

T.J. Ward (Second Round)

Devin McCourty (First Round)

Antrel Rolle (First Round)

28 First Rounders

10 Second Rounders

6 Third Rounders

3 Fourth Rounders

3 Fifth Rounders

2 Sixth Rounders

0 Seventh Rounders

So that's about 96% drafted 4% UDFA not 99.99%. I concede it's a larger margin but considering this is one years sample size that's understandable. Becoming a great player undrafted is not nearly impossible, but highly improbable this day and age. Thanks for doing the work!

I can't help but pull for the home town underdog. Really hope he makes the squad.

And there's nothing wrong with that. Everyone likes a feel good story.

But to labour under this unfounded notion that a guy from the practice squad is ready to start Game 1 over a healthy guy who caught 10 touchdowns the previous year borders on ludicrous.

Only in the NFL is a white kid that grew up in a gated community full of millionaires an underdog.

I'm not white but I respect hardworking, humble people and bersin seems like that kind of guy. He never acted like he deserved a spot even coming from the upper class background he came from and knowing the owner of the team. 

I'm not white but I respect hardworking, humble people and bersin seems like that kind of guy. He never acted like he deserved a spot even coming from the upper class background he came from and knowing the owner of the team. 

Yeah I have no problem with Bersin. He's never done anything wrong. But if he gets cut for a third time, he's going to be ok. Some of the other undrafted guys have families depending on them. Guys like Byron Bell are trying to help their siblings escape poverty. 

Bersin is an underdog by NFL standards. However he has the education and contacts to succeed in whatever he does after football.

Archived