• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lion's may be in trouble at RT and CB

iamhubby1

At RT Hilliard is out, and Waddel didn't practice today with a sore calf. Which he has a boot on.

At CB Bentley is out. They actually brought in Champ, and that guy who supposedly went awol from the Jets.

In their places Rookies will be asked to take their places. Reynolds at RT, and Lawson in the secondary.

Hopefully CJ can have a field day, as the Lions love to use only their 5 linemen and send everyone else out in pattern. If CJ and company can get pressure, it may cause the Lions to leave someone in to help in protection. Any way you can limit the number of receivers Matt has, is a win for us.

Lawson, and any scrub they bring in to that mess they have back their is only going to help us. They are a train wreck in the secondary. If we can keep their front four off of Cam, our passing game should prosper. The Lions will blitz, but they don't make a habit of it. And Cam can be a beast against the Blitz.

We need to run the ball well, something the Lions are sketchy at. It not only opens up play action, but it slows down their pass rush. Unlike our front four that stops the run on the way to the QB, theirs has a tendency to rush pass the RB as they rush the passer.

If we play Panther football, we should win. At this point in time, they are playing better under Caldwell. But these are still the Lions. Don't let Megatron go off, and keep the running game in check is still a good way to get the win.

tl/dr version. The Lions are hurting in the secondary and RT. If we can take advantage of those 2 weaknesses, we should get the win.

story on PFT about how they almost had to play TE Pettigrew at RT.  Going with a rookie udfa at the spot on Sunday.

Latest I read, from several sources, was that Cornelius Lucas (the UDFA Rookie) was competing with recently re-signed Garrett Reynolds (http://www.nfl.com/player/garrettreynolds/71453/profile) for the starting job at RT. Reynolds has good size (6'7", 305 lbs) and 5 years NFL experience.

In either case, if Waddle ends up not being able to play on Sunday, the RT spot looks to be VERY vulnerable.

I forgot to mention, Lucas is 6'9", 325 lbs. I know being big as a house doesn't guarantee success, but it can't hurt :)

It can hurt if you're 6'9".  It's more about leverage than size, and when you're that tall, it's a lot easier to get you on your heels or pull you over the top.

It's not "may" be. The Lions are in trouble at RT and especially CB.

As much as I hate speaking in absolutes, it really looks that way.

There is always the off chance someone coming in to fill a spot gets motivated and turns out to be a diamond in the rough, and plays well enough that we forget about the injured players, and have a potential star going forward!!

But my guess is that is as likely to happen as a unicorn farting skittles into my lap.

It can hurt if you're 6'9".  It's more about leverage than size, and when you're that tall, it's a lot easier to get you on your heels or pull you over the top.

Agreed. There is an art to being a tall O-Lineman. It can be an advantage if you know how to use your size properly. I don't have confidence that an undrafted rookie will have that skill set yet.

Agreed. There is an art to being a tall O-Lineman. It can be an advantage if you know how to use your size properly. I don't have confidence that an undrafted rookie will have that skill set yet.

Especially when he's facing CJ, who's one of the best at manipulating your leverage against you.  It's one thing to be starting in the NFL as a rookie, but another to be facing one of the best DE's in the league in your debut.  I think it's going to be a long day for the kid.

I think it's going to be a long day for the kid.

Indeed, provided he is the one that Caldwell goes with. Garrett Reynolds still might get the start. And there still exists a small chance that Waddle plays. One thing I've learned about Caldwell so far, he doesn't say much of anything before game day about his players.

Archived