• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Scouting the Panthers

Daeavorn

So, I dont know if any of you are on reddit but a Lions fan posted a scouting report on r/Lions and I thought I'd copypasta here because its a fantastic write up.

TEAM OVERVIEW

Oh boy, the Carolina Panthers are as exciting of a team as any. The Panthers were one of the teams that came out of nowhere to really show that they are the real deal. Ending 2013 with a 12-4 record, including an impressive 5-1 division record, they are ready to continue where they left off.

The team started 2013 with a rocky start, winning just one of their first four games. However, something amazing clicked and Cam Tram and Co. went on an absolute rampage. They proceeded to win all but one of their remaining twelve games. Carolina clinched the NFC South, the #2 seed and a first round bye in the 2013 playoffs. Unfortunately, in the NFC divisional playoff game the Panthers took a hard loss to the 49ers losing 10-23. The Panthers were done for 2013, but vowed to come back with a greater fury in 2014.

The story of the offseason was the wide receiver position. Many wondered what the front office was doing with losses of Steve Smith, Brandon LaFell, Domenik Hixon, and Ted Ginn. Enter first round pick Kelvin Benjamin. This guy is a beast, straight up. Built like CJ at 6’5 240, this guy makes plays and KB isn’t the only playmaker on this scary ass team. If you haven’t heard the name Luke Kuechly, learn it now. This is the best linebacker in all of the NFL, oh and he just started in 2012. Luke was named to the 2013 All-Pro team by the Associated Press, joining Lawrence Taylor as the only other player to be Defensive Rookie of the Year followed by Defensive Player of the Year.

The story line is simple for 2014, win in the regular season. They proved they are more then capable of making it to the playoffs, now can Cam Newton get his first playoff win?

DEPTH CHART

OFFENSE

POS FIRST SECOND THIRD QB Cam Newton Derek Anderson Joe Webb WR Kelvin Benjamin Brenton Bersin   WR2 Jerricho Cotchery Jason Avant Corey Brown LT Byron Bell Garry Williams David Foucault LG Amini Silatolu Andrew Norwell Adam Snyder C Ryan Kalil Fernando Velasco Brian Folkerts RG Trai Turner Fernando Velasco   RT Nate Chandler Garry Williams   TE Greg Olsen Ed Dickson Brandon Williams FB Mike Tolbert     RB DeAngelo Williams Jonathon Stewart Fozzy Whittaker

DEFENSE

POS FIRST SECOND THIRD LDE Charles Johnson Wes Horton   LDT Colin Cole Kawann Short   RDT Star Lotulelei Dwan Edwards   RDE Greg Hardy Mario Addison Kony Ealy SLB Chase Blackburn A.J. Klein   MLB Luke Kuechly Ben Jacobs   WLB Thomas Davis Jason Williams   LCB Antoine Cason Charles Godfrey   RCB Melvin White Bene Benwikere Josh Norman FS Thomas DeCoud Colin Jones   SS Roman Harper Tre Boston  

SPECIAL TEAMS

POS FIRST SECOND THIRD P Brad Nortman     PK Graham Gano     H Brad Nortman     LS J.J. Jansen     PR Philly Brown Antoine Cason Bene Benwikere KR Philly Brown Fozzy Whittaker  

STRENGTHS

Offensively, Carolina's greatest weapon is an extremely mobile Cam Newton. If his offensive line holds up and a play extends, watch out or he'll break off for a monster run at a moments notice. With a big bodied receiver acquisition like Kelvin Benjamin he is able to have that play making outlet downfield as well. Lions fans should be more then aware of the danger of that.

They have a very sturdy defensive line as well. With players like Star Lotulelei and Greg Hardy, they truly dominate. Using this very deep D-Line, they ended 2013 second overall in rushing yards allowed per game (86.9).

Just check out these 2013 numbers for the defense performing as one unit, it's all the evidence I need to convey my point.

PTS YDS PASS YRDS RUSH YRDS 15.1 (2nd) 301.2 (2nd) 214.3 (6th) 86.9 (2nd)

WEAKNESSES

In my opinion, their offensive line is pretty suspect. Their current line situation is the very definition of patchwork. The biggest change was the loss of Jordan Gross, a veteran that was in charge of protecting Cam's blindside. Last year they ran for over 100 yards a game behind the offensive line, but this is not last years line. Offensive lines require time to get to know each other and play as one unit.

I may get some flack for this, but the other unit I would consider a weakness (for now) would definitely be thereceiver depth. They have the rookie I talked about earlier, Benjamin and of course they have their reliable TE, Greg Olsen. What's after that? Do they have the playmakers required for Cam Newton to truly succeed at maximum efficiency? They did manage to sign some veteran receivers like Jason Avant, so we'll see.

Other then Antoine Cason, Carolina is not built to defend bigger receivers. Their secondary is a huge question mark, the Panthers replaced 3 of their 4 starting players that started last year. I believe that the passing game is certainly a point of emphasis in both sides of the film rooms. Carolina replaced their safeties with Thomas DeCoud and Roman Harper, who are essentially castoffs from the division. Hopefully they are able to quickly learn to play with each other, a lot of what makes a secondary successful is communication and trust.

Players to watch

DeAngelo Williams

He couldn't quite reach the 1000 yard mark last year, rushing for 843 yards in 2013. If he is able to get in a groove it will open up the play action and passing game for the Panthers. Detroit was 6th in the league last year, only allowing an average of 99.8 rushing yards per game.

Thomas DeCoud and Roman Harper

I'm going to cheat and put two players for this one section. Coming from divisional rivals, the Falcons and Saints respectively, they are facing their biggest challenge in the Lion's WR Megatron/Golden Tate combination. As stated before, communication is essential in a team's secondary and with Harper listed at 6'1 and DeCoud at 6'0, they will be challenged by large receivers such as Calvin Johnson and Joseph Fauria.

Match-Ups to Watch

DET D-Line vs. CAR O-Line: This will be the most important match-up of the game. With Detroit's secondary looking a little beat up already, can our front 7 get enough pressure to stop the big plays? Will we be able to contain Cam Newton's speed outside the pocket? I 100% believe that this match-up determines the game. I'm pretty sure Detroit's offense will manage to score, can we stop them from scoring?

DET RB's/O-Line vs. CAR D-Line: Detroit's running backs had a miserable showing week 1 vs the Giants. It doesn't help the fact that Detroit lost two starters on the offensive line in Hilliard and Waddle. Hopefully Reynolds or Lucas can step up this season and solidify our line. With those changes in mind, will the Lion's offensive line be able to open holes up or will Kuechly and Star Lotulelei just dominate our running game? With a lack of a running game, we will have to throw the ball a lot more then intended. With a lot of passes, comes a lot more chances for turnovers and the lack of clock control.

DET vs. DET: Penalties... Penalties... Penalties... I know what you're going to say, in the second half of the Giants game week 1 we had zero penalties. That's great! But that's last week, let's move on. With a 6'5 WR1, the test is for Darius Slay and Mathis to be able to locate the ball when it's in the air and not get PI calls. So many Lions games are lost due to penalties alone. This match-up is going to be the most telling of how our new coaching staff is doing.

Fun Facts

• The teams have played each other 6 times, with the Panthers winning 4 times and the Lions winning 2 times.
  • Christian Fauria played for the Carolina Panthers, does that name sound familiar?
  • Cam has a damn nice smile.

Panther fans! Thanks for stopping by and for visiting our sub! Please feel free to add additional information, or correct anything I've written above if it seems to be wrong, I'm sure you guys know more about this subject than I do. Anything else you guys would like to share, ask, or tell us, feel free to do so! This is your chance to get some good discussion going with your week 2 opponents. Good luck this season Catbros! Go /r/CatTeamBrotherhood!

Here is the link to the original: http://www.reddit.com/r/detroitlions/comments/2g3xxh/week_2_scouting_the_panthers/

If TD played for a big market team like the Giants, he would be a top 10 LB and perennial Pro Bowler. The man is VASTLY underrated, and that's putting it lightly w 3 freaking ACL surgeries.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Someone else said it on this forum, but it bears repeating. TDs ressurection is the biggest story no one covered. 

So, I dont know if any of you are on reddit but a Lions fan posted a scouting report on r/Lions and I thought I'd copypasta here because its a fantastic write up.

TEAM OVERVIEW

Oh boy, the Carolina Panthers are as exciting of a team as any. The Panthers were one of the teams that came out of nowhere to really show that they are the real deal. Ending 2013 with a 12-4 record, including an impressive 5-1 division record, they are ready to continue where they left off.

The team started 2013 with a rocky start, winning just one of their first four games. However, something amazing clicked and Cam Tram and Co. went on an absolute rampage. They proceeded to win all but one of their remaining twelve games. Carolina clinched the NFC South, the #2 seed and a first round bye in the 2013 playoffs. Unfortunately, in the NFC divisional playoff game the Panthers took a hard loss to the 49ers losing 10-23. The Panthers were done for 2013, but vowed to come back with a greater fury in 2014.

The story of the offseason was the wide receiver position. Many wondered what the front office was doing with losses of Steve Smith, Brandon LaFell, Domenik Hixon, and Ted Ginn. Enter first round pick Kelvin Benjamin. This guy is a beast, straight up. Built like CJ at 6’5 240, this guy makes plays and KB isn’t the only playmaker on this scary ass team. If you haven’t heard the name Luke Kuechly, learn it now. This is the best linebacker in all of the NFL, oh and he just started in 2012. Luke was named to the 2013 All-Pro team by the Associated Press, joining Lawrence Taylor as the only other player to be Defensive Rookie of the Year followed by Defensive Player of the Year.

The story line is simple for 2014, win in the regular season. They proved they are more then capable of making it to the playoffs, now can Cam Newton get his first playoff win?

DEPTH CHART

OFFENSE

POS FIRST SECOND THIRD QB Cam Newton Derek Anderson Joe Webb WR Kelvin Benjamin Brenton Bersin   WR2 Jerricho Cotchery Jason Avant Corey Brown LT Byron Bell Garry Williams David Foucault LG Amini Silatolu Andrew Norwell Adam Snyder C Ryan Kalil Fernando Velasco Brian Folkerts RG Trai Turner Fernando Velasco   RT Nate Chandler Garry Williams   TE Greg Olsen Ed Dickson Brandon Williams FB Mike Tolbert     RB DeAngelo Williams Jonathon Stewart Fozzy Whittaker

DEFENSE

POS FIRST SECOND THIRD LDE Charles Johnson Wes Horton   LDT Colin Cole Kawann Short   RDT Star Lotulelei Dwan Edwards   RDE Greg Hardy Mario Addison Kony Ealy SLB Chase Blackburn A.J. Klein   MLB Luke Kuechly Ben Jacobs   WLB Thomas Davis Jason Williams   LCB Antoine Cason Charles Godfrey   RCB Melvin White Bene Benwikere Josh Norman FS Thomas DeCoud Colin Jones   SS Roman Harper Tre Boston  

SPECIAL TEAMS

POS FIRST SECOND THIRD P Brad Nortman     PK Graham Gano     H Brad Nortman     LS J.J. Jansen     PR Philly Brown Antoine Cason Bene Benwikere KR Philly Brown Fozzy Whittaker  

STRENGTHS

Offensively, Carolina's greatest weapon is an extremely mobile Cam Newton. If his offensive line holds up and a play extends, watch out or he'll break off for a monster run at a moments notice. With a big bodied receiver acquisition like Kelvin Benjamin he is able to have that play making outlet downfield as well. Lions fans should be more then aware of the danger of that.

They have a very sturdy defensive line as well. With players like Star Lotulelei and Greg Hardy, they truly dominate. Using this very deep D-Line, they ended 2013 second overall in rushing yards allowed per game (86.9).

Just check out these 2013 numbers for the defense performing as one unit, it's all the evidence I need to convey my point.

PTS YDS PASS YRDS RUSH YRDS 15.1 (2nd) 301.2 (2nd) 214.3 (6th) 86.9 (2nd)

WEAKNESSES

In my opinion, their offensive line is pretty suspect. Their current line situation is the very definition of patchwork. The biggest change was the loss of Jordan Gross, a veteran that was in charge of protecting Cam's blindside. Last year they ran for over 100 yards a game behind the offensive line, but this is not last years line. Offensive lines require time to get to know each other and play as one unit.

I may get some flack for this, but the other unit I would consider a weakness (for now) would definitely be thereceiver depth. They have the rookie I talked about earlier, Benjamin and of course they have their reliable TE, Greg Olsen. What's after that? Do they have the playmakers required for Cam Newton to truly succeed at maximum efficiency? They did manage to sign some veteran receivers like Jason Avant, so we'll see.

Other then Antoine Cason, Carolina is not built to defend bigger receivers. Their secondary is a huge question mark, the Panthers replaced 3 of their 4 starting players that started last year. I believe that the passing game is certainly a point of emphasis in both sides of the film rooms. Carolina replaced their safeties with Thomas DeCoud and Roman Harper, who are essentially castoffs from the division. Hopefully they are able to quickly learn to play with each other, a lot of what makes a secondary successful is communication and trust.

Players to watch

DeAngelo Williams

He couldn't quite reach the 1000 yard mark last year, rushing for 843 yards in 2013. If he is able to get in a groove it will open up the play action and passing game for the Panthers. Detroit was 6th in the league last year, only allowing an average of 99.8 rushing yards per game.

Thomas DeCoud and Roman Harper

I'm going to cheat and put two players for this one section. Coming from divisional rivals, the Falcons and Saints respectively, they are facing their biggest challenge in the Lion's WR Megatron/Golden Tate combination. As stated before, communication is essential in a team's secondary and with Harper listed at 6'1 and DeCoud at 6'0, they will be challenged by large receivers such as Calvin Johnson and Joseph Fauria.

Match-Ups to Watch

DET D-Line vs. CAR O-Line: This will be the most important match-up of the game. With Detroit's secondary looking a little beat up already, can our front 7 get enough pressure to stop the big plays? Will we be able to contain Cam Newton's speed outside the pocket? I 100% believe that this match-up determines the game. I'm pretty sure Detroit's offense will manage to score, can we stop them from scoring?

DET RB's/O-Line vs. CAR D-Line: Detroit's running backs had a miserable showing week 1 vs the Giants. It doesn't help the fact that Detroit lost two starters on the offensive line in Hilliard and Waddle. Hopefully Reynolds or Lucas can step up this season and solidify our line. With those changes in mind, will the Lion's offensive line be able to open holes up or will Kuechly and Star Lotulelei just dominate our running game? With a lack of a running game, we will have to throw the ball a lot more then intended. With a lot of passes, comes a lot more chances for turnovers and the lack of clock control.

DET vs. DET: Penalties... Penalties... Penalties... I know what you're going to say, in the second half of the Giants game week 1 we had zero penalties. That's great! But that's last week, let's move on. With a 6'5 WR1, the test is for Darius Slay and Mathis to be able to locate the ball when it's in the air and not get PI calls. So many Lions games are lost due to penalties alone. This match-up is going to be the most telling of how our new coaching staff is doing.

Fun Facts

• The teams have played each other 6 times, with the Panthers winning 4 times and the Lions winning 2 times.
  • Christian Fauria played for the Carolina Panthers, does that name sound familiar?
  • Cam has a damn nice smile.

Panther fans! Thanks for stopping by and for visiting our sub! Please feel free to add additional information, or correct anything I've written above if it seems to be wrong, I'm sure you guys know more about this subject than I do. Anything else you guys would like to share, ask, or tell us, feel free to do so! This is your chance to get some good discussion going with your week 2 opponents. Good luck this season Catbros! Go /r/CatTeamBrotherhood!

Here is the link to the original: http://www.reddit.com/r/detroitlions/comments/2g3xxh/week_2_scouting_the_panthers/

im going to respectfully disagree with you on the cb statement, we are built to stop the bigger w.r thats why we brought in cason which is 6 foot 1 and have melvin thats 6 foot 1 and got rid of captin

Match-Ups to Watch

this is the only thing he said that i disagree with. while i understand his reasoning, i think the biggest match up will be the Panthers DL/Secondary against Lions OL. maybe this is just a difference in perspective from a fan of one team to a fan of another. But if our offense is going to score. their offense is probably going to score. but just like last week, who is more likely to score more? the Lions will almost certainly score more points than us if our defense cant get pressure on Stafford. i think our offense is good for 21 to 31 points with Cam in the game versus their defense. if our defense plays the way we know they are capable of, i only see the Lions being good for 17 to 27 points. 

this game may be a hell of alot closer than any of us would like it to be (just like last week), but its going to be the Carolina D versus the Detroit O that determines the outcome of this game

Archived