• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Zack Lowe and Simmons debate Hornets

PantherBrew

Love the podcast. Although I don't think West would lead us to another playoff round, I do like the fact that analyst are thinking about our Hornets landing/perusing big prospects.

On another note I started thinking about who I would consider trading Zeller/Vonleh or both for and then I realize the perfect fit was within our grasp. Had the hornets drafted Noel rather than Zeller, we would have an elite defender in the post who would offer weak side rim protection that Al doesn't. He doesn't space the floor like a 3 point shooter would, but is athletic enough to get to to rim off the dribble. Imagine the confidence we would have with Walker, Lance, MKG, Noel, Al.

Oh we'll...nothing we can do now.

Further down, they also talk about the Hornets in regards to trading for Al Horford.

Simmons: Would you consider Charlotte a 2015 contender if they flipped Noah Vonleh AND Cody Zeller for Al Horford? Who says no? Sorry … you know I have to do this every 1,200 words. It’s part of my contract.

Lowe: I think the precise wording is every 1,200 words and six podcast minutes. But with Horford instead of West, you’re getting somewhere. Horford is a better all-around player, and it’s not even close on defense. Horford could provide at least some rim protection for a team that really needs it, and when you get a dose of rim protection, it opens up new lines of attack defensively. This all assumes that Horford is healthy after two pectoral tears. He could be an interesting trade piece depending on how quickly the ownership situation resolves itself (and what the new bosses want to do). We’ve seen a few new owners tank to varying degrees — including the NBA when it owned New Orleans.

I love Al Horford as a player. I'd probably make that trade.

Simmons is a fan that gets paid to act like a fan on TV. By that I mean have limited knowledge of the sport but not afraid to give an opinion. 

I don't mind him until he starts talking Patriots. 

I don't study NBA player movement the way I do NFL. But from what I've seen franchises make mistakes. Big mistakes. And there are very few ways to correct them. Whether it's trading for a bad player or signing a bad contract. I would like to see the Hornets be patient with the young guys. If we have to trade them, sell high, not low. Don't be in "win now" mode at the risk of losing for 4 straight seasons. 

I keep hearing people refer to the "Big Al" window. He had a great season for us but Big Al isn't the centerpiece to a championship. I wouldn't look at Big Al's time here as a "window". 

Simmons is a fan that gets paid to act like a fan on TV. By that I mean have limited knowledge of the sport but not afraid to give an opinion.

I don't mind him until he starts talking Patriots.

I don't study NBA player movement the way I do NFL. But from what I've seen franchises make mistakes. Big mistakes. And there are very few ways to correct them. Whether it's trading for a bad player or signing a bad contract. I would like to see the Hornets be patient with the young guys. If we have to trade them, sell high, not low. Don't be in "win now" mode at the risk of losing for 4 straight seasons.

I keep hearing people refer to the "Big Al" window. He had a great season for us but Big Al isn't the centerpiece to a championship. I wouldn't look at Big Al's time here as a "window".

I think the "window" refers to the fact he can opt out after this season. Lose al and the playoff hopes go with him and we are back to 30-35 wins a year.

Archived