• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Want to see Charles Godfrey get cut in real time?

Fiz

We'll be using this play.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Rodgers-hits-Davante-Adams-for-21-yard-touchdown/db33eae7-1f87-434a-9216-24953b868965

VUcejKy.jpg

The play starts with the Panthers in a pretty simple nickel formation. They've taken out a linebacker to put in an extra corner, in this case Godfrey, who's lined up on top of Cobb. Cason is lined up up top on Adams. Decoud is the single high corner on top of Nelson in the slot. Harper is showing blitz, but will drop back into coverage. Davis is hanging out, keeping an eye on Lacy and playing a short zone near the line of scrimmage. 

I've watched this play and I'm pretty sure what we're looking at is a simple cover 2 with Kuechly manning up on Nelson. The idea is to trick Rogers into thinking he'll have space between the safety and linebacker and instead have Luke there for the easy deflection/interception. Cason at the top of the screen is playing for a short pass to keep it in front of him, and watch out Decoud takes off for the top corner of the endzone, ostensibly to provide over the top support. 

In this situation, Godfrey would move over to where Luke just vacated, to cover anyone running a crossing route. 

THIS IS NOT A COMPLICATED PROTECTION SCHEME. THIS ON THE FIRST PAGE ON MADDEN.

Well, let's hope everyone on the Panthers is on the same page!

LG2ztQB.png

You should quickly be able to see where this play is going to go terrible wrong. Nelson takes off in a dead sprint. Adams runs straight into his man and is about to run across the field. Cobb is just going to run a stick route and turn around. The idea is if it's tight man coverage, Cason will bump into either Godfrey or Cobb and free Adams up.

Or, you know, Godfrey has no fuging idea what the play is. Cason very clearly is playing his zone, and Decoud was originally moving to cover him, like I said before. 

PL7JhCn.png

Plays over at this point. Cason has a "oh poo" moment as he suddenly takes off to i dunno teleport like nightcrawler to make the tackle. Full speed, you can actually see Godfrey realize he's fuged up. Because Luke is locked up on Jordy, he's not in position to see Adam cut in and get wide open. Decoud was moving the opposite way, Davis was covering Lacy. Harper is old and can't close on anyone anymore. 

I admit, it's possible it was man coverage and Cason just blew it, but the way Decoud was playing over the top makes me think Godfrey was supposed to cover his zone and just fuging blew it. 

Thanks for the memories, Godfrey. 

This defensive play is straight from Madden playbook.  Godfrey was supposed to play zone but instead he played man.

White and Cason played sidelines, Luke covered short and DeCoud over the time.  Harper played his deep zone as well.  Davis played his zone and Godfrey was supposed to cover the other half... that's where the catch was made.  Look at that giant hole in the middle of the field...

Should Luke be retreating all the way to the end zone if no receivers are heading that way?

Yes.  Luke zone is between Godfrey and DeCoud.  Luke was supposed to provide Godfrey help over the top after DeCoud got in position.  If Godfrey was in position then Adams would have to sit in 5 yard line instead of 10 yard line, making it difficult for Rogers to throw because Luke would be right there.

This defensive play is straight from Madden playbook.  Godfrey was supposed to play zone but instead he played man.

White and Cason played sidelines, Luke covered short and DeCoud over the time.  Harper played his deep zone as well.  Davis played his zone and Godfrey was supposed to cover the other half... that's where the catch was made.  Look at that giant hole in the middle of the field...

That has always been the major issue with him to me.  Playing your space in the zone in the redzone has very little to do with exceptional athleticism.  He had mental breakdowns like this is whole career.  Just like when he got hurt last year, we will see an immediate improvement on defense.  We have been running that nickel as our base defense the past two weeks.  We have given up almost 90 points in that time. 

Maybe people will see the correlation now.  Dockery will provide way better nickel coverage and cannot show the ineptitude Godfrey did in coverage or in tackling.

Yeah while I respect your degree in Madden, I'm not going to put any weight in a fans analysis of coverage schemes. We are just making assumptions.

Actually you can tell its zone the way the cbs lined up outside the receiver and their butts are towards the sideline

Archived