• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Greg Cosell talks Cam and the Saints game

Johnny Rockets

Common sense tells me the coaches are spending more time on the run game in practice than the passing game. I would not doubt it is a considerable difference.

You spend the off season and preseason game planning your strengths and developing your weaknesses. When the season is in play you devote a majority of practice to your strengths and game plan around your weaknesses.

Look into it. Going to be a coaching issue during the week flowing into game day. You can tell when the coaches regurgitate the same first half game plan that focuses on the OL and running game carrying the offense - the weaknesses.

And Shula sets himself up for failure with a rigid 50/50 split with plays in the first half. Teams that win go pass heavy in the first half and balance it back to 50% in the second half with the run. The Panthers wins this season have been pass heavy with the Panthers strengths this season. The more they go to the OL and run game in the first half, the more the Panthers lose control of the game.

Seems the coaches are coaching with their gut more than their head. Would be better off flipping a coin to decide what play to run if all you are worried about is a 50/50 play call split.

You may be on to something here. Rivera thinks like a robot. No wonder he preferred to be called calculated risk taker Ron. His mantra of 100 rushing per game is like what he said when we were replacing our WR corps. He said 10 catches a game. Well if you bring in snails who catch 10 passes for no yds, how do we win?

Common sense tells me the coaches are spending more time on the run game in practice than the passing game. I would not doubt it is a considerable difference.

You spend the off season and preseason game planning your strengths and developing your weaknesses. When the season is in play you devote a majority of practice to your strengths and game plan around your weaknesses.

Look into it. Going to be a coaching issue during the week flowing into game day. You can tell when the coaches regurgitate the same first half game plan that focuses on the OL and running game carrying the offense - the weaknesses.

And Shula sets himself up for failure with a rigid 50/50 split with plays in the first half. Teams that win go pass heavy in the first half and balance it back to 50% in the second half with the run. The Panthers wins this season have been pass heavy with the Panthers strengths this season. The more they go to the OL and run game in the first half, the more the Panthers lose control of the game.

Seems the coaches are coaching with their gut more than their head. Would be better off flipping a coin to decide what play to run if all you are worried about is a 50/50 play call split.

You may be on to something here. Rivera thinks like a robot. No wonder he preferred to be called calculated risk taker Ron. His mantra of 100 rushing per game is like what he said when we were replacing our WR corps. He said 10 catches a game. Well if you bring in snails who catch 10 passes for no yds, how do we win?

With what we have at WR, our offense is more about getting first downs than huge plays obviously. The problem is though, our OC doesn't know which he wants us to be. For example, it's 2nd and 5, instead of going for the first down, we throw a bomb downfield. Incompletion.

Yes, and that is one of our bigger problems, which you could even argue negates any weaknesses we have personnel wise.

If your coaches are simply unable to adjust, then it really doesn't matter who is out there. The players also have to believe in the gameplan, and when our gameplan week in and week out is clearly not working yet we keep trying, eventually the players are going to lose confidence.

Question for you. Do you know Shula was in Cam's ear saying ignore all the intermediate routes and air it out?

I don't necessarily think it's a case of coaching from the gut rather than their head.

I think it's that the head just isn't that good.

Which is why I am content that this is always going to be Cam. Throw out some absolutely amazing games but then throw out a clunker the next. WAY too inconsistent as a passer to ever be able to consistently win, hence his career record. This is why i am so against paying Cam what he is going to be asking for. You don't pay an inconsistent QB that kind of money.

Cam's career record? Last I checked football was a team game so maybe you meant Carolina's team record. How many teams are there in the NFL? Now count how many truly elite QB's there are. There are just not that many elite QB's to go around so good teams find ways to win with lesser QB's. How good do the Cardinals look this year with Carson friggin Palmer as their QB? He even threw a pick six to start the game yesterday and their team still won. The panthers would have folded like a cheap tent and then the Cam bashing would have been deafening on here. I know this board likes to dog on Kaepernick but look how much they have won in the last couple of years with obviously a non elite QB.

You guys need to take a step back from the ledge and realize that if you have a top 15 QB that you ought to be able to win consistently if you knew how to coach and surround him with talent. Don't pay him and you could be searching for years to find a comparable QB. There just aren't that many out there.

There is a very real possibility that Cam is going to have a HOF career with the skill set he possesses.

Yet, for some of you, it is not enough.

It is truly sad that Cam has to be damm near perfect for some folks to be happy. Anything less, and all of a sudden Cam needs to go. Unrealistic expectations = the Madden effect. They see the talent Cam has, and expect/demand results. When they don't get the results they demand, it must be Cam's fault.

I would be willing to bet that almost every fan that truly believes that Cam cannot lead this team to the promised land never played football. They have no idea whatsoever what it takes to lead a team to victory. They just expect, and feel they deserve, for their QB to be the best. Anything else, is unacceptable.

I blame the interwebz. If it weren't for that, we wouldn't know how many fans have such goofy ideas on how football really works. Almost makes me wish for the good ol' days where you were blissfully unaware of how many folks really don't know squat about football.

In conclusion, if you truly believe Cam can't get this team where it wants to go. You need to quit letting your emotions override your brain.

Question for you. Do you know Shula was in Cam's ear saying ignore all the intermediate routes and air it out?

If you already know the answer to this, why ask me? The majority of discussion here from fans is little more than speculation.

However, the play call I was referring to is something that has been happening regularly since Shula became our OC.

If you already know the answer to this, why ask me? The majority of discussion here from fans is little more than speculation.

However, the play call I was referring to is something that has been happening regularly since Shula became our OC.

So why is the assumption then that Shula is to blame for Cam going deep in these situations? Also if Cam doesn't like the play, can't he audible out? I'm not a fan of Shula, but blaming him for Cam's decisions over the course of a play doesn't make sense to me.

Cam's career record? Last I checked football was a team game so maybe you meant Carolina's team record. How many teams are there in the NFL? Now count how many truly elite QB's there are. There are just not that many elite QB's to go around so good teams find ways to win with lesser QB's. How good do the Cardinals look this year with Carson friggin Palmer as their QB? He even threw a pick six to start the game yesterday and their team still won. The panthers would have folded like a cheap tent and then the Cam bashing would have been deafening on here. I know this board likes to dog on Kaepernick but look how much they have won in the last couple of years with obviously a non elite QB.

You guys need to take a step back from the ledge and realize that if you have a top 15 QB that you ought to be able to win consistently if you knew how to coach and surround him with talent. Don't pay him and you could be searching for years to find a comparable QB. There just aren't that many out there.

Oh, but yet you people want to bring up that Cam won last year. You can't have it both ways. And you must not have watched Carson Palmer any in his career, He is a damn good QB and showing it again this year. He has a 99.2 QB rating, completing 62% of his passes, and has 11 TD's to 2 int's. Don't even act like Carson Palmer is a scrub. And thanks for proving my point. You are essentially saying Cam is an average QB. You don't pay average passing QB's top 8 money beccause you will end up like the stupid ass Bears with Cutler.

So why is the assumption then that Shula is to blame for Cam going deep in these situations? Also if Cam doesn't like the play, can't he audible out? I'm not a fan of Shula, but blaming him for Cam's decisions over the course of a play doesn't make sense to me.

Did I say Shula was entirely to blame? I'm guessing that you've simply glossed over all the other posts I've made in this thread.

Oh, but yet you people want to bring up that Cam won last year. You can't have it both ways. And you must not have watched Carson Palmer any in his career, He is a damn good QB and showing it again this year. He has a 99.2 QB rating, completing 62% of his passes, and has 11 TD's to 2 int's. Don't even act like Carson Palmer is a scrub. And thanks for proving my point. You are essentially saying Cam is an average QB. You don't pay average passing QB's top 8 money beccause you will end up like the stupid ass Bears with Cutler.

Carson Palmer has a career 86.4 QBR. Cam has a 85.7. Not much difference yet you say Carson Palmer and I quote is "a damn good QB". So what does that make Cam? We are not even taking into account his running ability. My point with Palmer was you can win with a average passing QB and even I'll admit Cam is average passing at this time. Carson Palmer has been in the league 10 years so you essentially know what you are going to get. Cam's ceiling is so much higher and if you can't see that then I can't help you. Can you imagine Cam working in Chip Kelly's system? We are wasting his talents trying to play a ball control offense to suit this dinosaur style of football that Rivera wants to play.

If you don't want to pay the man then don't but don't come crying when you are stuck with another Clausen. I will root for the Panthers regardless and wonder what if when I see Cam dominating in another uniform.

not worth it, trust me.

Crap, Cosell is saying the same stuff I have been saying for the last several years.

Bad mechanics, relies on his run game, rocket arm, lots of potential, not progressing as fast as we would like, etc.

Course it is a crap shoot any time you draft a QB number one.  I would never do it period, if I were a GM.  Just too scary.

Archived