• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Cam Newton the next Jay Cutler?

PntherPryd

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11819304/is-cam-newton-next-jay-cutler-plus-more-film-study-debates-nfl

Insider so only quoting partially;

I'm not taking the comparison lightly when I say that when I watch tape of Newton, I see a lot of similarities. In fact, Newton is now pushing him for the title of most frustrating quarterback in the NFL.

Take this past week's contest against the New Orleans Saints. Late in the second quarter, the Panthers had the ball with a third-and-9 on their own 8-yard line. Neither team had scored at that point, and the game looked to be playing out just like a banged-up Carolina squad would want it to -- keep the score close and hope for a game-changing New Orleans mistake. Instead, Newton made the mistake that turned the tide in favor of the Saints.

This was a key moment in a midseason battle for the division lead, and yet Newton was making the kind of mistake you expect to see from a rookie. It's errors like this and a penchant for forcing passes into coverage that has kept Newton's career Total QBR (55.1) at a mediocre level that is almost equal to the middling Total QBR Cutler posted in his first four seasons as a starter (56.4).

Am I crazy, or could we be talking about Newton the same way we do Cutler in a few years?

That was KC.  Williamson said,

Williamson: I can certainly see the comparison. Because both quarterbacks are unbelievably physically gifted, they have been able to get away with not refining the finer points of playing the position. Like Cutler, Newton is a "see-it-and-throw-it" passer, and Newton uses mostly his powerful upper body to generate RPMs on his throws, which isn't ideal and can lead to accuracy problems. But while the Saints game was one of the worst performances I've seen out of Newton, his play the first month of 2014 was very promising. I am not ready to write the book on Newton yet.

Christopher Harris;

Harris: The thing that got me about Newton's performance last Thursday was his lack of touch. On his first attempt he had Kelvin Benjamin open for a deep score but overthrew him. He winged another first-quarter shot to Benjamin 5 yards out of bounds. He lofted one too high to Jerricho Cotchery and nearly got him killed, and threw behind receivers several of times. I can't put him in Cutler territory for weird mechanics or impossible streakiness, and actually, until Week 9, I'd thought Newton had made strides as a thrower. But that performance against the Saints was really bad.

This is a scary comparison.  They are completely different in personality but both very emotional.  They do play quite similarly.

Very emotional, good point.  And they both handle themselves poorly in stressful situations.

Maybe a new position coach role would be a Life Coach?

Terrible comparison.

Cutler is a bit of a pussy, let's be honest, if he had a sore toe he wouldn't play. You would literally have to drag Newton off the field.

after the beating Cutler took the last two years (before this season), behind an atrocious offensive line (sound familiar?) you are way off target with the pussy comment.

asshole?  no doubt.  but he played through plenty of pain.

after the beating Cutler took the last two years (before this season), behind an atrocious offensive line (sound familiar?) you are way off target with the pussy comment.

asshole?  no doubt.  but he played through plenty of pain.

You forget the NFC championship game against Green Bay a few years ago?

I knew this was written by KC Joyner before I even clicked the link.

That joke of a writer has had it out for Newton since his rookie season. Nothing he says should carry any weight.

Edit: Actually Joyner has had it out for Newton before we even drafted him. Prior to the draft KC Joyner said Cam wasn't even a first round talent.  /thread

Archived