• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Future of our Offensive Line

The Saltman

So since we are basically looking to the future who are we going to look at to replace our 2 horrible tackles?

I feel really good about Norwell on our left side With Kalil and Trai Turner on the right.

We obviously need two new tackles to replace Byron "on his ass" Bell and Nate " I should have never been Converted" Chandler.

Here is a list of Tackles coming up in FA and in the draft.

2015 FA:

1. Michael Roos: A good Offensive Tackle but with age and Injury concerns with a knee injury he might could be had on the cheap.

2. Doug Free: A decent Right tackle that has also had injury concerns.

3. Bryan Bulaga: Also has had some injuries but is probably going to command some money if he isn't retained by Green Bay.

4. King Dunlap: Has injury concerns as well with two concussions and possibly a third. He is a good Tackle but that many concussions frighten me.

It looks like the free agency class for Offensive tackle is a bit scarce.

Offensive Tackles for the 2015 NFL Draft Tentatively:

Rankings are by CBS sports and may differ from your opinion.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/OT

1. Brandon Scherff - Iowa: 

Scouts view him as one of the country's most pro-ready offensive linemen due to his size, strength and versatility.

While Scherff stars at left tackle for the Hawkeyes after moving from guard as a junior, he may not possess the elite athleticism NFL teams prefer as a blind-side pass protector.

2. Cedric Ogbuehi - Texas A&M: 

He earned the starting job at right guard a year later but suffered an ankle injury in his first game (Arkansas) and missed the next three contests, ultimately playing in 10 games and starting six.

Noticeably stronger, Ogbeuhi (pronounced ah-BOO-hee) took his game to another level in 2012, forming a devastating right side of the offensive line with Matthews. With Matthews flipping to the left side to take over for Joeckel, the Aggies moved Ogbeuhi to the outside in 2013.

3. Andrus Peat - Stanford: 

During the Jim Harbaugh-David Shaw era, size and strength have been prioritized over athleticism at virtually every position. In Peat, however, the Cardinal boast a massive blocker with rare athleticism.

So the tackle class looks to not be as good as it was last year but nobody really knows what the future holds.

Discuss your opinions on what you think we should do and link anyone else in free agency or in the draft that you think might be a great fit for us.

There's always the possibility of late veteran cuts too. I still think Gettleman was counting on one of those happening this year.

True. Lets hope we can find someone on the cheap in FA and look to the draft for the rest.

Also our secondary needs some upgrading including RB and Wr. We have so many needs and I hope we can at least address most of it this offseason.

We obviously must make moves in FA at OT, regardless of what's available or the price.

As for the draft, I'd prefer Peat but I think his stock will rise out of our reach. I would only take Ogbuehi (knowing what we know now on 11/17) if we win the division (quite possible) and are out of the top 20. He's a RT and I don't want to spend a high first on a RT.

Ereck Flowers out of Miami will rise up draft boards close to draft time. He can be a very good prospect and has held his own well this season especially Saturday night against Flordia State. Out of all of those guys in free agency the only one I would even think about is Doug Free. He will be a great upgrade over Chandler at RT. As far LT Brandon Scherff is the guy or we go with Andrus Peat. 

It's gonna depend an awful lot on who's coaching next year and what system they run.

Stick with a Coryell or switch to an Earhardt-Perkins and we'll be looking more for big, nasty maulers.

Go to a West Coast offense and you're gonna want more athletic linemen.  Not necessarily smaller, mind you, but more athletic.

best FA (NOT udfa) left tackle available and best RT in the draft.

vet LT might be pretty costly, but we need to take this poo more seriously.

Essentially the 2003 approach with Steussie and Gross (hopefully minus all the false starts on the left).

How would you feel about flipping that script and getting a right tackle in free agency (cheaper) while using our top (potentially quite high) pick on a franchise left tackle?

Archived