• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Realistic Head Coaching Candidates - My Shortlist

Ruff

Don't know how you categorize Harbaugh and Sumlin as realistic choices when a) I think we have looked at two college coaches during the whole entire time that this team existed and B) If Richardson didn't entertain the offer of bringing in Harbaugh before the why do you think he will again?

I think Kubiak and Shanahan are realistic though. I will add a few names to the mix:

Teryl Austin, DC for the Lions: Spent time with the Ravens and was the DC for the Florida Gators. Good at creating strong defenses.

Kevin Coyle, DC for the Dolphins: Since taking over as DC in Miami, he seems to be getting this defense better and better. Has worked along side Mike Zimmer and Cincy.

Dan Quinn, DC for the Seahawks: Quinn is doing an excellent job in Seattle creating a great defense known as the Legion of Doom. Has be widely known as a hot candidate in 2015.

So if history stays on course, I see yet another defensive minded coach.

Side note: Eric Mangini is a defensive minded coach, not offense

If we went with a defensive coach right now, I'd expect it to be Todd Bowles over Teryl Austin.

Austin's only been a DC for a year.  Bowles has a much stronger resume'.

I'd actually consider Dennison for HC out of the late 00s Texan staff.  Rumor was that's who Cutler wanted over Trestman in Chicago (Take that for what it's worth haha)

And Harbaugh is not coming here.  Roman won't, Fangio won't, Harbaugh won't.   It's not happening.  

Harbaugh i get, but why Roman and Fangio?

(I don't think Roman would get an offer anyway, but Fangio is conceivable)

No mention of Gus Malzahn, the hottest name out there, but you list Hue freaking Jackson? That dude is a bum. He was a colossal failure as a Head Coach and Cincy fans hate his playcalling.

Gus Malzahn will be the next Head Coach of the Panthers, if Rivera is let go after this year. Go look up some of his interviews where Cam Newton is mentioned. The dude lights up and is instantly aroused.

Fox Sports did an interview with him last November. They talked about Auburn, SEC, NFL, recruiting, Manziel, etc, etc. Every question was a "yeah/no" political PR response. Then when they were talking about Manziel and some of the other guys Malzahn has seen, he asked Gus who was the best player he ever coached or coached against. Malzahn didn't even let him finish the question before he burst out "Cam Newton!" He went on and on, gushing over Cam. From his physical abilities, to how hard and dedicated he works, to how GREAT of a leader Cam is, and on and on and on. Then he said Cam will go down as one of the greatest players to ever play the game.

Gus would run from Auburn to Charlotte if Dave Gettleman called him.

If we went with a defensive coach right now, I'd expect it to be Todd Bowles over Teryl Austin.

Austin's only been a DC for a year.  Bowles has a much stronger resume'.

I think the most important factor beyond being a defensive or offensive minded coach is having a front office that can sit down and see in an interview if the guy can be an NFL HC.  How well can a guy install a system, develop a team around Cam/Keek, game-plan, make in-game adjustments, and keep the team a cohesive and inspired unit?  

It's why I fear Kubiak is a offensive version of Rivera.  He knows how to go in, install an offense, and get a team to produce, but it's iffy in the other areas.  Rivera has virtually none of those things minus installing a defensive scheme and somewhat being a players coach.  It's like Mike Singletary.  

I want to find a staff that can install an offense Cam can be effective in.  Whether this be getting a DC to HC with all the right connections to bring in a great OC or vice-versa but the retread market looks really shoddy.    

Harbaugh i get, but why Roman and Fangio?

(I don't think Roman would get an offer anyway, but Fangio is conceivable)

From the little amount of sources I actually have, they come from Capers' staff.  The most prominent are in the collegiate ranks and ESPN nowadays.  There was a lot of bitterness between the FO and the team's coaching staff after 1997 up through 1998 stemming from a few big management changes.  That staff remains very tight to this day.  There's an inner-circle in college and the NFL that is tied with a few notable names--Harbaugh, Ault, Polian..to name a few, and they are not big fans of JR.    

Analyzing the choices...

KYLE SHANAHAN

When Dave Gettleman talked about having learned from some of the best, Mike Shanahan was one of the names he mentioned.  Taking a shot with Shanahan's son is definitely possible.  I've been saying Kubiak is more likely, but Jerry Richardson likes first time coaches better than retreads and that could come into play. 

Kyle as Head Coach likely means some role for his dad, either as a consultant or maybe a front office personnel type position.  He could also conceivably go after Rick Dennison as an OC (they worked together in Houston) though it seems unlikely given that the Ravens might not want to lose him if, as expected, they lose Kubiak to a Head Coaching gig.  And even if they do, Dennison seems more likely to follow Kubiak where he goes.

More likely OC option could be an (expected to be) out of work West Coast guy like Marc Trestman, Jay Gruden or Marty Mornhinweg.  Even dad Mike is a possibility.  Could also possibly get Jim Haslett as a DC if the Redskins clean house.

GARY KUBIAK

In my estimation, the leading candidate based on current head coaching buzz and the fact that Gettleman would be familiar with him from the three years they both worked for the Broncos.  Also factor in Gettleman's admiration for Mike Shanahan and the fact that Kubiak is, to this point, his most successful pupil.

As mentioned, he'd probably want Rick Dennison as his OC, but the Ravens might be reluctant to let him go.  He could go with another WCO guy or just call his own plays until Dennison's contract is up.  Steve Spagnuolo, Mike Nolan (if he's let go) and Wade Phillips could all be defensive options.

Worth noting that a hire of either Shanahan or Kubiak comes with the strong possibility of Alex Gibbs getting the OL Coaching job.  Gibbs is infamous for his cut blocking schemes and accusations of dirty play.

KEVIN SUMLIN

I suspect that between Gettleman and Richardson, the chances that the Panthers go after a college coach are pretty slim, especially one who has no pro experience at all.  Same likely applies to Gus Malzahn, especially given he's only been coaching in the college ranks for about eight years and has only been a head coach for three of those years (Sumlin's been a college coach since 1988 and has been a head coach for six years).  David Shaw has pro coaching experience, but it'e generally accepted he has no desire to leave Stanford,

Folks looking for the team to go after a college coach might be in for disappointment.

JIM HARBAUGH

I know he'd be a popular choice, but I'm not so sure he'd be a good one.  Harbaugh's coaching style is way better suioted to coaching college kids than paid adults (and Michigan may come calling).

More to the point though, it's been reported - by more than just Darin Gantt - that the Panthers reached out to Harbaugh during their last head coaching search and he blew them off (not enough money).  That was rumored to be the story behind Richardson's dismissal of Harbaugh's name in his presser, a poor attempt at face saving / sour grapes.

Throw in that he's likely going to get offered a bigger payday than we'd offer from somewhere, and I'd say the chances of this happening are nil.

HUE JACKSON

Jackson's another popular name out there right now.  With a Jackson hire, you have to balance his effectiveness vs his personality.  Jackson's the kind of guy that sometimes puts people off (as viewers of Hard Knocks have seen) which may be one of the reasons why he didn't get the Panthers OC job that went to Mike Shula. 

He's known to be a very effective offensive coach though and would offer one thing none of the other candidates mentioned could in a similar offensive system.  Jackson's roots are in the Coryell offense, so bringing him in might not be as big a change as Shanahan or Kubiak (both West Coast guys) though Jackson is known to run a better version of the system than Shula does.

If Jackson is your head coach, look at Bengals QB Coach Ken Zampese as a possible OC.  Zampese's dad Ernie was one of the best Coryell system coaches in the league for years.  Jackson and Zampese actually have in common that both were considered as options for the Panthers OC job and lost out to candidates who were largely failures (Mike Shula and Jeff Davidson).

From the little amount of sources I actually have, they come from Capers' staff.  The most prominent are in the collegiate ranks and ESPN nowadays.  There was a lot of bitterness between the FO and the team's coaching staff after 1997 up through 1998 stemming from a few big management changes.  That staff remains very tight to this day.  There's an inner-circle in college and the NFL that is tied with a few notable names--Harbaugh, Ault, Polian..to name a few, and they are not big fans of JR.    

Gotcha.  And I've heard some similar whispers before.

Don't know how you categorize Harbaugh and Sumlin as realistic choices when a) I think we have looked at two college coaches during the whole entire time that this team existed and B) If Richardson didn't entertain the offer of bringing in Harbaugh before the why do you think he will again?

I think Kubiak and Shanahan are realistic though. I will add a few names to the mix:

Teryl Austin, DC for the Lions: Spent time with the Ravens and was the DC for the Florida Gators. Good at creating strong defenses.

Kevin Coyle, DC for the Dolphins: Since taking over as DC in Miami, he seems to be getting this defense better and better. Has worked along side Mike Zimmer and Cincy.

Dan Quinn, DC for the Seahawks: Quinn is doing an excellent job in Seattle creating a great defense known as the Legion of Doom. Has be widely known as a hot candidate in 2015.

So if history stays on course, I see yet another defensive minded coach.

Side note: Eric Mangini is a defensive minded coach, not offense

The rumors was we did entertain signing Harbaugh. And in fact, we tried to get him, but he blew us off.

Also, Mangini was the offensive consultant to the 49ers last season and is now the TE coach.

Archived