• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"American sniper" the movie

camycamcan

I wonder if this movie will include the time he shot 30 looters from the top of the Super Dome after Katrina, or the time he shot and killed two imaginary carjackers and then the cops showed up and thanked him for 'keeping the streets clean.'

Chris Kyle was basically the Navy SEAL version of Chunk from the Goonies..."Okay, Brand. Michael Jackson didn't come over to my house to use the bathroom...but his sister did!"

I wonder if this movie will include the time he shot 30 looters from the top of the Super Dome after Katrina, or the time he shot and killed two imaginary carjackers and then the cops showed up and thanked him for 'keeping the streets clean.'

Chris Kyle was basically the Navy SEAL version of Chunk from the Goonies..."Okay, Brand. Michael Jackson didn't come over to my house to use the bathroom...but his sister did!"

Both of which were completely bogus stories unverified by anyone.

Both of which were completely bogus stories unverified by anyone.

Marcus Luttrell included the one about the imaginary carjackers in his second book. The NY Time and Post have articles about both stories and others.

Neither of the two of them are what one could call 'Quiet Professionals.' 

I love snipers. Those guys were great at having our backs. Even if it's only 40% true it'll be good for the public to see what they do for us.

Yeah.  In my experience, they are cocky, insular, and weird.  They have their own special culture that reveres death caused by the longshot.  Any death; any shot.  Even the MLK kill shot.  They do God's work though that's for damn sure.

Recon Marines saved our poo on numerous occasions.  They are badass as poo (even though their MO is pretty close to what scout snipers do).  I am going to see the movie with my girl.  It's a test for her.  She already passed the shooting range test.  Any woman who won't shoot with me won't get this dick.

Marcus Luttrell included the one about the imaginary carjackers in his second book. The NY Time and Post have articles about both stories and others.

Neither of the two of them are what one could call 'Quiet Professionals.' 

Your second statement is true and I haven't been able to completely justify they're going public after their respective careers. However, Kyle's death was also just a little mysterious in and of itself.

But both of the articles you mention also go to some length to explain that neither of these stories could be verified simply because nobody found 30 gunshot bodies around the Superdome and there were no death records of anyone during the time frame of the so-called car-jacking.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/07/30/the-complicated-but-unveriable-legacy-of-chris-kyle-the-deadliest-sniper-in-american-history/

That sense of superhuman toughness perhaps led him to tell stories reporters couldn’t confirm. One involved a cold January morning at a gas station southwest of Dallas. Two armed men, he said, approached him and told him to hand over the keys to his black F350. “I told them I would get them the keys,” he told Mooney. “I told them they were in the truck and to just let me reach in.” Kyle then claimed he reached into the car, pulled out a gun and, shooting under his armpit, killed both men. “It’s true,” he said.

But was it? Reporters, including the New Yorker’s Nicholas Schmidle, called some of the nearby county sheriffs and none of them knew of it. “I went to every single gas station [nearby],” Mooney explained. “I talked to every single law enforcement out there, all the Texas rangers — and there’s no evidence whatsoever.”

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram had no better luck. “We checked with the medical examiner’s office, which reported no such deaths in Cleburne in January 2009.”

http://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/collection/the-controversial-true-story-behind-american-sniper-20141222#ixzz3MlngVYbQ

The web of these stories begins in 2012. Three years after Kyle was honorably discharged, with two Silver Stars and five Bronze Stars, he taped an interview for SOFREP, a website covering special operations forces. According to a profile of the former SEAL in the June 2013 issue of The New Yorker, Kyle left the taping, met friends for a late-night drinking session, and then talked about how, in 2005, he and a sniper buddy took to the roof of the Superdome, in New Orleans, and picked off about 30 armed looters during the Hurricane Katrina melee. He said he was trying to establish law and order amid the chaos. When asked about the story, a spokesman for U.S. Special Operations Command (or SOCOM) said, "To the best of anyone's knowledge at SOCOM, there were no West Coast SEALs deployed to Katrina." Kyle’s recollection, he claimed, "defies the imagination."

Around the time he first told the Katrina tale, Kyle made an appearance on The Opie & Anthony Show to promote his book. During the show, he bragged about a night at a San Diego bar in 2006 when he punched former SEAL Jesse Ventura in the face for supposedly undercutting the Iraq War. Kyle later repeated his claim on The O’Reilly Factor. In response, Ventura sued for defamation – and refused to drop his suit even after Kyle's death. Last July, Ventura won $1.8 million in damages, but lost respect among his brethren for suing a widow.

The attempted carjacking of Kyle was the subject of an April 2013 story in D Magazine. In January 2010, just months after retiring from the SEALs, Kyle reportedly pulled his Ford F350 truck into an unidentified gas station south of Dallas, off Hwy 67. Two men approached him with guns, asking for his money and keys. Kyle said he needed to reach into his truck for the latter, but instead deftly grabbed his Colt pistol from under his coat and shot the two men to death. When police officers arrived, Kyle gave them a special phone number to call. On the other end was a government official who informed the officers about Kyle's outstanding military service. The officers let Kyle go. In response to the story, some law enforcement in the area claimed they’d heard about the incident; others hadn't a clue. The account was mentioned in Service: A Navy SEAL at War, the 2012 book by Marcus Luttrell, whose story was turned into the movie Lone Survivor, yet it didn’t make Kyle’s memoir. And no surveillance tape was ever made public.

"But why would he lie?" the D Magazine profile questioned. "He was already one of the most decorated veterans of the Iraq war. Tales of his heroism on the battlefield were already lore in every branch of the armed forces." The undisputed truth? Kyle's mystery will endure. 

Yeah.  In my experience, they are cocky, insular, and weird.  They have their own special culture that reveres death caused by the longshot.  Any death; any shot.  Even the MLK kill shot.  They do God's work though that's for damn sure.

Recon Marines saved our poo on numerous occasions.  They are badass as poo (even though their MO is pretty close to what scout snipers do).  I am going to see the movie with my girl.  It's a test for her.  She already passed the shooting range test.  Any woman who won't shoot with me won't get this dick.

Friend of mine is/was a sniper. He reveres the shot, not the death. He looks at all the details and analyzes the crap out of it, figuring out what he could have done better. He's perfecting his craft. He's definitely a little off to most people. To me, he's just a regular guy doing what he does. 

A long time acquaintance of mine is a Marine sniper. He kept volunteering to go back to Iraq until they refused to send him anymore. Luke Cage described him very well above.

At first I was impressed by his dedication but once his desire to keep going back cost him a marriage, kept him away from his kids, etc. I realized it was more self serving than nation serving - again, we do need people like him around but what do they do when there's no wars to fight?

I would very much like to see this movie, the last one of the genre I saw was the one about the EOD guy a few years ago and that was terrific.

I read Lone Survivor and came away from that with a not so high opinion of Lutrell.  Sure, he seemed good at his job, but seemed extremely arrogant and ungrateful.

I have not seen that movie.

Sniper looks like a movie I would enjoy, I have not read the book.

Stories these guys tell after they come home don't have much interest to me... if this guy shot some guys (or not) who were trying to rob him, so what?

I can imagine that these men have some serious demons they have to deal with once war is over.

I read Lone Survivor and came away from that with a not so high opinion of Lutrell.  Sure, he seemed good at his job, but seemed extremely arrogant and ungrateful.

I have not seen that movie.

Sniper looks like a movie I would enjoy, I have not read the book.

Stories these guys tell after they come home don't have much interest to me... if this guy shot some guys (or not) who were trying to rob him, so what?

I can imagine that these men have some serious demons they have to deal with once war is over.

You and me both. There seems to be a lot of ego there and I get that it's a necessity when you're on the job, but Lutrell doesn't seem the least bit humble and as many times as I've watched interviews and listened to the guy, the more I really don't like him.

The Sniper story is supposed to be more about his trying to adjust and cope while fighting all those demons. 

What most people also need to understand is how much down time these guys have. Same with the SEALS. It's not as though they're constantly on non-stop mission to kill people. They're specialized in what they do and spend a ridiculous amount of time just waiting on a call to head out. They train day in and day out waiting for a mission. I think Lutrell was involved in 3-4 missions during his entire tour on active duty, it just so happened that one of them turned into a major shitstorm and became very public when the helicopter carrying the rescue mission was shot down and killed many more SEALS. 

Archived