• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron Rivera: A Modern Day Wayne Fontes

fontesmickey1996-1.jpg

I have been telling my friends this for a while now - never mentioned it here

Wayne Fontes seemed to have 9 lives. Chris Berman called him "Rasputin". They tried to stone him, hang him, poison him, flog him, yet he somehow cheated death every time. After starting the 1995 season 0-3, the Lions played the 49er's on Monday Night Football. With his job on the line, the Lions held on to a 27-24 victory, on a last second missed Field Goal by Doug Brien. They stumbled to 3-6, but went on to win their last 7 games of the regular season to finish 10-6 and make the playoffs. The "Big-Buck" survived another season.

I loved the Lions back in the early 90's until we had a team because I liked Barry Sanders. Ron Rivera really is shaping up to have a career like a modern day Wayne Fontes. He is reincarnate of the man, with albeit less nuts (Fontes threw the ball more)

In all fairness Rivera took a job for a team with the worst record in the league. He signed off on having Chud implement read-option concepts at the pro level(which was unheard of) and improved the team's record in his first three years and making the playoffs, winning the NFC South in year 3.

Although the team has taken a step back in year 4 Rivera may have the Panthers make the postseason in consecutive years for the first time in team history.

Also possibly salvaging a top 10 defensive finish in 2014... That would be having a top 10 defense in consecutive years.

Id say he is infinitely better than Wayne Fontes... I guess both are hispanic? Other than that I dont see it.

If Rivera can cut ties with Shula Id be in full support of hin but he loves him some Shula.

In all fairness Rivera took a job for a team with the worst record in the league. He signed off on having Chud implement read-option concepts at the pro level(which was unheard of) and improved the team's record in his first three years and making the playoffs, winning the NFC South in year 3.

Although the team has taken a step back in year 4 Rivera may have the Panthers make the postseason in consecutive years for the first time in team history.

Also possibly salvaging a top 10 defensive finish in 2014... That would be having a top 10 defense in consecutive years.

Id say he is infinitely better than Wayne Fontes... I guess both are hispanic? Other than that I dont see it.

If Rivera can cut ties with Shula Id be in full support of hin but he loves him some Shula.

No no no no no, the liar said he learned from Buffalo last year. He clearly has not. He went back on his word and went pussy and it instantly cost us both times this season. Had he gone for it and lost I wouldnt have minded because he would have given us the best chance to win both times against the Bengals and Falcons@BoA . And our defense would have failed, and we would have seen it WOULDN'T HAVE MATTERED if we went for the field goal we would have lost.

Archived