• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera Admits He's Been Nervous-Per Jeff Darlington NFL.com

FootballMaestro

Doesn't make sense.

vs Atlanta:

"You guys weren't hyped enough!"

After game: "You guys were hyped, I was the one too hyper!"

vs SF last year:

"They were too hyper!"

He can't have it both ways. He either wants them hyped or not (they should be hyped). I can see why the players have looked confused before.

Part of coaching is psychology. Sometimes you need to hype them up, sometimes you need to calm then down.

He crossed the streams apparently

We didn't lose that playoff game because we were too hyper.  We lost because the refs had decided before kickoff who they wanted to win that day.  They gifted SF 13 points in the first half while screwing us at every turn, and they allowed them to lineup/jump into our backfield before the snap.

Also, those failed redzone trips where all we did was run it up the gut 4 times in a row every time against a defense as solid as SF.

I hope Rivera really doesn't believe that too much.

We didn't lose that playoff game because we were too hyper. We lost because the refs had decided before kickoff who they wanted to win that day. They gifted SF 13 points in the first half while screwing us at every turn, and they allowed them to lineup/jump into our backfield before the snap.

Also, those failed redzone trips where all we did was run it up the gut 4 times in a row every time against a defense as solid as SF.

Rivera said on Sirius NFL we lost to 49ers bc the refs hosed us.....which caused him to become angry and lose focus. He said his team bascially followed his lead. By the time he calmed down an entire quarter was gone. Game over.

He admitted he and the team handled the adversity poorly.

But those refs did hose us. We out played SF yet were losing early...bc of refs. Refs definately impacted that game

We didn't lose that playoff game because we were too hyper. We lost because the refs had decided before kickoff who they wanted to win that day. They gifted SF 13 points in the first half while screwing us at every turn, and they allowed them to lineup/jump into our backfield before the snap.

Rivera is on the record saying he was mentally checked out for a quarter of that game because of emotions getting the better of him.... And that impacted everyone. The calls by the refs and the huge amount on the line for the game got to him, but that was another learning experience. I don't think he said that lost the game, but it sure didn't help things.

If anything is going to get rivera to the next level it's stringing a few playoff berths together, so the fact that we got lucky could be beneficial for us. I often think the problem with our playoff performances has a lot to do with stage fright, and that it's largely unchartered territory in regards to how different these games are than your average regular season game. The Panthers have just been unfamiliar with how these games work. Hopefully that can change now that we've gotten back to back berths

I bet you anything the Cards are more nervous, Lindley has never even sniffed a playoff game in his life and the Cards haven't been to the playoffs in ages. We got this and got it handily

You know if the Cards are looking over the films of our last game against Matty Ice they have a lot of reasons to get nervous and Lindley ought to being looking like Don Knotts when he gets off the plane in Charlotte......

If anything is going to get rivera to the next level it's stringing a few playoff berths together, so the fact that we got lucky could be beneficial for us. I often think the problem with our playoff performances has a lot to do with stage fright, and that it's largely unchartered territory in regards to how different these games are than your average regular season game. The Panthers have just been unfamiliar with how these games work. Hopefully that can change now that we've gotten back to back berths

I think the way we made the playoffs this year has given us some swagger. Left for dead at 3-8-1 then roll off four straight wins. I guess the team is peaking and as confident as a 7-8-1 team can be. Plus we are playing with house money IMO.

Archived