• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Shula's Offense

Paintballr

So you think I am outrageous contentious and pretentious because I don't think that what an OC did 15 years ago with a team in another era has any direct correlation to what he is doing now.? Were those words on your high school spelling list or are boning up for the SAT or GRE.

So do you think that a guy on his first job should be judged 15 years later as being the same with no consideration for experience or knowledge gained. Only a college student or someone with little world experience would believe that.

So you don't want a conversation and then proceed to have one. And you say I masquerade my opinions as facts as if you know the difference which you don't. And if you aren't dancing to the same tune why do you say the same thing over and over and pretend it isn't the same old ignorant uninformed crap you have been throwing around for months. If you can't see that this offense is much improved because of the o line and stability at running back and that Shula finally has the pieces to run this offense which includes a good defense then do me a favor and don't respond since you don't want a conversation and you don't have a clue.

Waits for TD to again have another non-conversation conversation.

Shula has been involved with football for most of his life.  He is the son of a man whom many consider to be a great football mind. He not only played the sport, but has been involved in several and various positions as a professional, including a head coach.  Any idiot should know that he has picked something up along the way and has learned something through the years. And, yet, here you are trying to downplay his professional experience and track record because it suits your weak ass opinion that Shula gets a pass for the same utter mediocre play calling that he has ALWAYS displayed, particularly in the red zone.  And then you try to insinuate that Shula's creativity in play calling somehow has something to do with the emergence of our defense, obviously thinking that people are stupid enough to fall for it because you keep saying it over and over again. 

Get it through your thick cranium: I don't like Shula's lack of creativity when it comes to not only dealing with normal play calling, but particularly his play calling under adversity.  

When Shula took over as O.C., the offense took a step back for a reason, and this was with Pro Bowl (or very good) players at his disposal, as well as a decent overall running game and a couple of receivers who obviously played key roles in their respective offenses this year.  But I'm sure, with your selective memory, that you would like everyone to forget this part of Shula's work record as well.

No one is going to be clamoring for Shula to be their O.C. if he were to quit today. He is not a hot commodity for good reason, regardless of how bad you obviously want him to be.  Sure the woes of the offense have not been totally on him, just like modicum of success of the offense can't be totally credited to him. Regardless, his play calling leaves a lot to be desired, and for you to suggest that he's some great offensive mind---offensive guru---is just your attempt to make your opinion appear greater than anyone else's opinion.  

Shula has been involved with football for most of his life. He is the son of a man whom many consider to be a great football mind. He not only played the sport, but has been involved in several and various positions as a professional, including a head coach. Any idiot should know that he has picked something up along the way and has learned something through the years. And, yet, here you are trying to downplay his professional experience and track record because it suits your weak ass opinion that Shula gets a pass for the same utter mediocre play calling that he has ALWAYS displayed, particularly in the red zone. And then you try to insinuate that Shula's creativity in play calling somehow has something to do with the emergence of our defense, obviously thinking that people are stupid enough to fall for it because you keep saying it over and over again.

Get it through your thick cranium: I don't like Shula's lack of creativity when it comes to not only dealing with normal play calling, but particularly his play calling under adversity.

When Shula took over as O.C., the offense took a step back for a reason, and this was with Pro Bowl (or very good) players at his disposal, as well as a decent overall running game and a couple of receivers who obviously played key roles in their respective offenses this year. But I'm sure, with your selective memory, that you would like everyone to forget this part of Shula's work record as well.

No one is going to be clamoring for Shula to be their O.C. if he were to quit today. He is not a hot commodity for good reason, regardless of how bad you obviously want him to be. Sure the woes of the offense have not been totally on him, just like modicum of success of the offense can't be totally credited to him. Regardless, his play calling leaves a lot to be desired, and for you to suggest that he's some great offensive mind---offensive guru---is just your attempt to make your opinion appear greater than anyone else's opinion.

So are we having a conversation or not? I thought you didn't want one but you keep responding so like usual you talk out of both sides of your mouth.

To your point, growing up in a football family doesn't make you a good player coach or GM, all it means is you grew up with football. So if my father was a doctor would that qualify me to practice medicine? Obviously not.

As for would people be clamoring for him, I think the answer is yes . He took a quarterback who was supposed to take 2 years to be a starter and went warp speed with him and got him ready to be an effective starter in a few months. His record as an OC is 19-12-1 which equals or is better than a lot of OCs out there . The funny thing is that Shula gets lots of credit for being creative and talented in national presses. It is only in Charlotte that he takes a beating on boards like this.

And I have never said he is a great offensive mind or that he is even a great OC. I simply said that he is a system guy who needs the right pieces to ru his offense which is a good o line and a good running game with receivers who can. Make catches on 3 rd down and can move the sticks. Both last year and currently when we have those pieces in place we are very effective. When we don't have them the offense looks poor. There are few OCs who don't run a system or can simply change schemes to accommodate whatever personnel they have.

Remmers and Norwell make Shula look a lot better.

BUT we have gotten some points off of turnovers and short fields. So the combination of those two things has been big part of success.

I still think he should be replaced

At the same token, lets not forget he was given brand new receivers a beat up quarterback and originally a garbage offensive line with Nate Chandler, Byron Bell, Amini and williams who alll played like trash, making it extra difficult.

He still could have been better to be fair.

Our redzone efficiency has sucked. That is my biggest beef with Shula. He has the best red zone package in the league with stew, cam, Olsen and KB and our playcalling sucks

If we lose this game with a crap point total Shula should be fired. Go in a diff direction. Hope he's figured it out tho.

So are we having a conversation or not? I thought you didn't want one but you keep responding so like usual you talk out of both sides of your mouth.

To your point, growing up in a football family doesn't make you a good player coach or GM, all it means is you grew up with football. So if my father was a doctor would that qualify me to practice medicine? Obviously not.

As for would people be clamoring for him, I think the answer is yes . He took a quarterback who was supposed to take 2 years to be a starter and went warp speed with him and got him ready to be an effective starter in a few months. His record as an OC is 19-12-1 which equals or is better than a lot of OCs out there . The funny thing is that Shula gets lots of credit for being creative and talented in national presses. It is only in Charlotte that he takes a beating on boards like this.

And I have never said he is a great offensive mind or that he is even a great OC. I simply said that he is a system guy who needs the right pieces to ru his offense which is a good o line and a good running game with receivers who can. Make catches on 3 rd down and can move the sticks. Both last year and currently when we have those pieces in place we are very effective. When we don't have them the offense looks poor. There are few OCs who don't run a system or can simply change schemes to accommodate whatever personnel they have.

You say that there are a few offensive coordinators that "can simply change schemes to accommodate whatever personnel they have."  Well, "few" is relative, but for argument's sake let's say you are correct. Shula is certainly not one of those few, and regardless if you agree with me or not, I want one of those few (like yesterday). 

The national presses? Are you serious? Dude, all you have to do is put in a few search terms (e.g., "Mike Shula creativity") to try and ascertain national opinions of Shula.  How about "Shula red zone efficiency"?  

You can't be that delusional. 

We are not talking about everyone else, we are talking about Mike Shula. He, his father and his brother will tell you that they were a football family in the truest sense of the word, so your weak ass attempt at disparaging my specific reasoning with general reasoning that really has nothing to do with the conversation is just another example of your aggrandizement  when it comes to imaginary football knowledge that is really an opinion.  The truth is, I understand why you have your opinion, and would probably respect it if it came from someone else. The problem is that most other people would respect my opinion as to why I think Shula should be gone.  This is what intelligent people do, especially when they keep going around in circles, but you obviously don't want to do that, which leads me to the belief that you really are being pretentious at this point.  Furthermore, there is nothing respectful about continuing to feign that your opinions are so much greater than anyone else's even when they present valid points to the contrary.  This is your modus operandi I guess, but it makes you appear more arrogant, scornful, and downright disrespectful at times more than anything else.  It certainly doesn't speak to your intelligence.

You say that there are a few offensive coordinators that "can simply change schemes to accommodate whatever personnel they have." Well, "few" is relative, but for argument's sake let's say you are correct. Shula is certainly not one of those few, and regardless if you agree with me or not, I want one of those few (like yesterday).

The national presses? Are you serious? Dude, all you have to do is put in a few search terms (e.g., "Mike Shula creativity") to try and ascertain national opinions of Shula. How about "Shula red zone efficiency"?

You can't be that delusional.

We are not talking about everyone else, we are talking about Mike Shula. He, his father and his brother will tell you that they were a football family in the truest sense of the word, so your weak ass attempt at disparaging my specific reasoning with general reasoning that really has nothing to do with the conversation is just another example of your aggrandizement when it comes to imaginary football knowledge that is really an opinion. The truth is, I understand why you have your opinion, and would probably respect it if it came from someone else. The problem is that most other people would respect my opinion as to why I think Shula should be gone. This is what intelligent people do, especially when they keep going around in circles, but you obviously don't want to do that, which leads me to the belief that you really are being pretentious at this point. Furthermore, there is nothing respectful about continuing to feign that your opinions are so much greater than anyone else's even when they present valid points to the contrary. This is your modus operandi I guess, but it makes you appear more arrogant, scornful, and downright disrespectful at times more than anything else. It certainly doesn't speak to your intelligence.

First of all this is going nowhere. I don't really like these personal attack wars for the amusement of other posters who like to se others squabble. You clearly have an agenda and won't be swayed so I won't waste any more time. I like football discussions and this one went of track several posts ago. Since you didn't want a conversation and keep responding with even more vitriole with each post, let me be the one to stop. I find little that I ever agree with you and frankly use you as somewhat of a compass when I debate. As long as we disagree then I know I am on the right side of an argument. I only take solace in knowing that in all likelihood Shula will be here next year as well. Maybe the front office knows more than you do. As for me I don't think I know more than most here I am simply a fan. But I do listen and form my opinions from those who are experts and do know a lot. That is why I am right a lot more than most here. I don't try to be the expert, I just listen to those that are. You might try it on for size.

First of all this is going nowhere. I don't really like these personal attack wars for the amusement of other posters who like to se others squabble. You clearly have an agenda and won't be swayed so I won't waste any more time. I like football discussions and this one went of track several posts ago. Since you didn't want a conversation and keep responding with even more vitriole with each post, let me be the one to stop. I find little that I ever agree with you and frankly use you as somewhat of a compass when I debate. As long as we disagree then I know I am on the right side of an argument. I only take solace in knowing that in all likelihood Shula will be here next year as well. Maybe the front office knows more than you do. As for me I don't think I know more than most here I am simply a fan. But I do listen and form my opinions from those who are experts and do know a lot. That is why I am right a lot more than most here. I don't try to be the expert, I just listen to those that are. You might try it on for size.

Great! So now you finally realize that it's going nowhere. I told you that before we ever started the conversation.  You attacked my intelligence first (as you do other posters, I might add), and I just responded in kind. As usual, you try and play the victim card when I call you on your bullshit.  You're lying your ass off about using me as a compass because we have agreed on many issues over the years. The problem with you is that you act like your opinion is the only one that matters and is the only one formed from listening to experts. Guess what? The experts---from the media to coaches and owners---also disagree on many issues. They just do it respectfully. You should try that.

Great! So now you finally realize that it's going nowhere. I told you that before we ever started the conversation.  You attacked my intelligence first (as you do other posters, I might add), and I just responded in kind. As usual, you try and play the victim card when I call you on your bullshit.  You're lying your ass off about using me as a compass because we have agreed on many issues over the years. The problem with you is that you act like your opinion is the only one that matters and is the only one formed from listening to experts. Guess what? The experts---from the media to coaches and owners---also disagree on many issues. They just do it respectfully. You should try that.

One last comment.  Why should I take any advice from someone who doesn't practice what they preach. If you want respect then give it in kind. I tell it how i see it and you can do with it what you want.  I am surely not a victim and can take care of myself.. To have a discussion you at least need to have some kind of facts to support your opinion and need to be open to other points of view instead of searching for facts which support your already made up mind.  Since you don't and arent, there is no discussion to be had. But honestly you have every right to say what you want and believe what you want.  Mine is surely not the only opinion.  And I let the results of what happens speak for me.  So keep arguing but I am done. This board has totally changed from a football discussion message board to a drama filled board where opinion and subjective observation are confused with facts. It has really gone downhill in the last 2 years. 

If we go ape poo on seattle, maybe, but our resurgence as a team can be attributed to defense, not offense. Only truly strong offensive showing in that stretch was New Orleans, the others defense either scored or set is upon their territory. Some of his calls still make me want to slam my head into a brick wall.

One last comment.  Why should I take any advice from someone who doesn't practice what they preach. If you want respect then give it in kind. I tell it how i see it and you can do with it what you want.  I am surely not a victim and can take care of myself.. To have a discussion you at least need to have some kind of facts to support your opinion and need to be open to other points of view instead of searching for facts which support your already made up mind.  Since you don't and arent, there is no discussion to be had. But honestly you have every right to say what you want and believe what you want.  Mine is surely not the only opinion.  And I let the results of what happens speak for me.  So keep arguing but I am done. This board has totally changed from a football discussion message board to a drama filled board where opinion and subjective observation are confused with facts. It has really gone downhill in the last 2 years. 

For the record---just like I have told you specifically, and a couple of others before---if you want respect, then give it. With me, you'll always get what you dish out. I have had few problems over the years on this board, so your insinuations about me being disrespectful are incredulous at best.  You used to be one of the posters I looked forward to reading, but somewhere along the way your attitude of self aggrandizement became somewhat insufferable. Perhaps you should modify the way that you deal with other people's opinions.  As for the Huddle, it has always been a place where you can select what you read and respond to, and I don't see it as any worse for wear.

Archived