• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My Mock Offseason

CatalystNX

RELEASE:

DeAngelo Williams (June 1st cut)

Thomas DeCoud

***I'm keeping Roman Harper for the time being, but he would be on the bubble in camp/preseason. Same goes for Jericho Cotchery. Just depends on how the young guys look and how the competition shakes out.***

RE-SIGN:

Dwan Edwards

Fozzy Whitaker

------------------------

FREE AGENCY:

Torrey Smith, WR, Ravens

torrey2.jpg

It's hard to say if the Ravens will keep Smith or how much he's likely to cost, but if we're going to step out of the dollar store, signing a guy like Smith would be a great start. He's a legit deep threat and has plenty of playoff experience. Plus, he's got a ring, and that never hurts when bringing a veteran player in. I love the idea of pairing Smith with Kelvin Benjamin with Philly Brown in the slot. Obviously it'd come down to cost, though.

Michael Roos, OT, Titans

f53cbb9cd53bfeaafbe4fbf9382a1da3.jpg?ito

I expect a lot of talk about Roos as we head toward free agency and for good reason. The OT options are rather thin on the open market unless we plan to break the bank on one of the top options. Instead, Roos is 32 years old and coming off knee surgery. A bit of a risk, but that also equates to him likely taking less money on a short-term deal. I say we sign Roos and draft a young tackle early to groom - or possibly play right tackle as a rookie before being moved in year 2.

Charles Clay, TE/FB, Dolphins

Charles+Clay+Miami+Dolphins+v+Kansas+Cit

Ed Dickson is a free agent and rather than re-signing him, how about we bring in an upgrade? It would cost more, but I wouldn't expect Clay to break the bank or anything. He'd be a great #2 option in the passing game and also has the ability to play fullback/h-back in certain situations. It'd depend on cost, but I think we could manage to sign him.

Brandon Tate, WR/KR, Bengals

20140105_kkt_al2_134.0.jpg

Jeremy mentioned that he's heard things about Tate and I hope that's true. He'd be solid WR depth and give us a big upgrade on special teams in the return game. No more Bersin returning punts in playoff games!

Colt Anderson, S/ST, Colts

541f6e1ac35cf.image.jpg

Rivera and Gettleman mentioned bringing in guys with special teams value and Colt Anderson fits the bill. He can fill in at safety in a pinch, but he's got plenty of experience on special teams and that's what matters most with this signing.

------------------------------

NFL DRAFT:

1st: Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin

If there's one thing that recent draft history tells us, it's that RB's drop on draft day. I can see a scenario where there is no viable OT prospect on the board and Gordon begins to slip. While RB certainly isn't our biggest need, it is a need given that Williams will likely be released and Stewart hasn't been able to stay healthy. Melvin Gordon is a beast. Immediate need or not, if we get a crack at him, we'd be crazy not to take him. We haven't had a dynamic featured back in years and Gordon could give us that.

2nd: Mario Edwards, DE/DT, Florida State

Gettleman loves his defensive linemen and he loves versatility. Mario Edwards brings that and could be immediately put into the rotation as Charles Johnson plays what could be his last year as a Panther and (hopefully) Kony Ealy continues to develop into a premier pass rusher.

3rd: Jake Fisher, OT, Oregon

With Michael Roos holding down LT for the next 2 years, we get a prospect to develop to eventually take his place and immediately compete with Mike Remmers at right tackle.

4th: Jordan Richards, SS, Stanford

For the moment Roman Harper is still on the roster, but we have to bring in some competition. This isn't the best class at safety, but Richards is a guy I really like.

5th: Tyrus Thompson, OT, Oklahoma

Never hurts to add depth to the OL. Thompson is a solid right tackle prospect with some size to him at 6'5, 336.

6th: Martrell Spaight, OLB, Arkansas

Thomas Davis isn't getting any younger and while I like Adarius Glanton's potential, we should bring in some new blood. Who knows, maybe we'll hit on a player late.

7th: Julian Wilson, CB, Oklahoma

Gettleman has done well hitting on contributors at CB the last 2 years. Hopefully we can do it again here.

I'm not a fan of taking RB's in the 1st either, but Gordon is one guy I'll make an exception for. I think he's special. 15 years ago a guy like him would be a lock for the top-5, but these days he'll be lucky to go before 20th overall. Granted, I don't think we can pass on a top OT prospect for him, but in this scenario I imagined all the 1st round tackles were off the board.

I'm also not a big fan of the WR class this year. I know a lot of people seem to think it's a great class, but I don't see it. Lots of middling talent and no top prospects outside of the top-10, IMO.

As far as Charles Clay goes in free agency... I'm not convinced he's going to get TE1 money. At least not good TE1 money; maybe lower-tier TE1 money. But you also have to consider that Olsen is a free agent next offseason, so signing a guy like Clay would be great insurance for the long-run.

Those who say no to drafting Melvin Gordon are clueless on this guys talent. He will be the best running back in the NFL and as long as Rivera and Shula are around they'll want to run the ball.

Melvin Gordon is going to be as good as Jamal Charles. If already addressed the Tackle and WR spots in free agency it should be a no brainer to take Gordon if he's there.

Those who say no to drafting Melvin Gordon are clueless on this guys talent. He will be the best running back in the NFL and as long as Rivera and Shula are around they'll want to run the ball.

Melvin Gordon is going to be as good as Jamal Charles. If already addressed the Tackle and WR spots in free agency it should be a no brainer to take Gordon if he's there.

it doesn't matter if is Charles, there is exactly one team out of the final 4 built on a RB and even that is arguable. it's a waste.

Not clueless at all on his talent.  Simply believe that in today's NFL a RB is not worth a first round pick

Archived