• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

gettleman on newton contract

CRA is exactly right.

For example, the first year cap hit of Flacco's big deal was 6 million.

Both sides gain with a new deal. The club has their franchise player locked up, often with cap savings. The player gains long term financial security. It will be a win-win if they can get it done.

That would close to another 8 million in salary cap savings this year.  Which would give the Panthers around 30-35 mil in Cap space.  Money burning a hole in my pocket. FA should be fun this year.

But that was a reason why to make a deal....

But like 55 said, maybe they don't care about freeing up a couple mill by doing Cam this offseason. They may be fine putting up with the 14 cap hit and wanting to let him get into next year some before dealing.

I personally don't think DG touches Cam's deal until midseason

The longer he waits on Cam's deal puts undo pressure on the Luke deal... and I'm sure he doesn't want to have to make both those deals in the same year.

Luke they have another year option they can apply.  But both should be 6 year deals.  IIRC Luke option use has to be announced before FA this year that will lock him up til the end of 2016.  Lock Cam up this season and lock Luke up in 2016 will give a year offset in case we cant keep both the following contracts.  

What might hasten the process for Cam is if Seattle or Indy extend Luck or Wilson.  We need to get Cams done before theirs.

I think a problem could be if Cam completely balls out this year with better personnel, he(his agent) might ask for more money.

Yeah, what Cam should say is, "If you're not going to pay me now, you're not going to be running me more than the RBs this season. It doesn't work like that."

I feel sure Gettleman already has a game plan pertaining to signing Cam to a contract,something he needs to get done  before Luck and Wilson break the bank with theirs.

People that seem to be in the know are saying, they expect Cam's proposed contract to be a 6 year $ 130 million deal with somewhere between a $ 25-$ 35 million signing bonus and $ 50-$ 55 million guaranted. If they are correct in their assumption,the 1st year cap hit would be $ 9.5 - $ 11 million,then $ 20 million the next year,increasing somewhat each additional remaining year.

How much does timing matter on this (outside of outside influences like Luck/Wilson)?  Is it just a question of this offseason v. next offseason or are there specific dates where doing it shortly before/after bring different advantages/disadvantages?

I feel sure Gettleman already has a game plan pertaining to signing Cam to a contract,something he needs to get done before Luck and Wilson break the bank with theirs.

People that seem to be in the know are saying, they expect Cam's proposed contract to be a 6 year $ 130 million deal with somewhere between a $ 25-$ 35 million signing bonus and $ 50-$ 55 million guaranted. If they are correct in their assumption,the 1st year cap hit would be $ 9.5 - $ 11 million,then $ 20 million the next year,increasing somewhat each additional remaining year.

Sources?

Do you see Gettleman bending to that?

Franchise QBs don't grow on trees. If Cam balls out this season, then Gettleman isn't going to have a choice to pay him, because someone else will. This team is only a few steps away from competing every year. Failing to sign Cam would set this franchise back a lot.

Curious. Why October?

You'd know better than I would just wonder why announce a contract in-season.

Isn't October when Stewie signed his extension from Hurney? Just seems like contract extensions get done in October more.

September the season has just started, so the coaches and front office are focused on how the team they put together in the off-season is performing.

November and December everyone is focused on getting to the playoffs, don't want to distract the players with contract negotiations.

On Cam's end, he may be holding off until seeing what free agents and rookies Gettleman brings in or drafts for the O-Line and receiver groups before signing an extension.

Archived