• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It wasn't really "mutual"

Mr. Scot

York is probably under the impression that any coach could have had that kind of success with his team.  .   I hope he falls face first into a big, steaming pile of reality this upcoming season.,  I'm hoping that giant pile of poo ends up being his team.

I'd love to know where the order to dump everybody but Rathman came from.

You'd assume it came from the team.  Would make Tomsula look like an a--hole if it were from him.

(could be argued it makes him look like an a--hole anyway)

They definitely let go of some decent coaches, Fangio and Brad Seely in particular.

Right, It did seem like it came from the team.  If Tomsula didn't want Fangio/Donatell and/or Roman, then fair enough and they could've sold him on the idea of it being "his team" and no one should question that.   

But, for Tomsula to want that, he'd have to have had an alternate plan.  Most prospective coaches have that, retread or green.  So for Tomsula to have hired coaches from his staff for coordinators after the releases said all assistants could look elsewhere?  That's not a vision, plan, anything.   That's not Tomsula saying he can do it without Harbaugh's people, that's the front office saying "it's not coaching that made this team great, it's the talent." 

I think they're going to be mistaken, because Tomsula is well below average in my opinion. 

Right, It did seem like it came from the team. If Tomsula didn't want Fangio/Donatell and/or Roman, then fair enough and they could've sold him on the idea of it being "his team" and no one should question that.

But, for Tomsula to want that, he'd have to have had an alternate plan. Most prospective coaches have that, retread or green. So for Tomsula to have hired coaches from his staff for coordinators after the releases said all assistants could look elsewhere? That's not a vision, plan, anything. That's not Tomsula saying he can do it without Harbaugh's people, that's the front office saying "it's not coaching that made this team great, it's the talent."

I think they're going to be mistaken, because Tomsula is well below average in my opinion.

Firing guys on the defensive side would have been particularly cold coming from Tomsula.

But I agree the most likely reason was to show they didn't need Harbaugh or any of his people.

Making coaching and roster moves out of spite is a real solid strategy :wacko:

Firing guys on the defensive side would have been particularly cold coming from Tomsula.

But I agree the most likely reason was to show they didn't need Harbaugh or any of his people.

Making coaching and roster moves out of spite is a real solid strategy :wacko:

the worst of it is, they weren't required to say anything.  Just tell people they can look while you sort your search out. 

BTW - http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2015/02/15/49ers-notes/

(pretty clear who's pulling the strings)

There have been multiple, persistent reports, mostly from people close to Gase, that Gase was all but offered the 49ers job during that face-to-face with Baalke, except for a few details.

So how did this all blow up?

According to an NFL source, Gase and Baalke did indeed come very close to an agreement for Gase to replace Harbaugh, down to the details of his prospective coaching staff, and Gase understood that his choices for the coordinator spots were approved.

Tomsula’s name was not involved in the discussions with Gase about the defensive coordinator slot, I was told.

Then, the next morning, after Baalke flew back to the Bay Area, things changed: Gase, the source says, was informed that he could only have the job if he made Tomsula his defensive coordinator.

No Tomsula, no offer.

Gase turned that suggestion down flat, and that’s when the 49ers immediately tabbed Tomsula as the head coach to follow Harbaugh.

So when Tomsula tried hard to hire Gase as his offensive coordinator, the answer was no way–and Gase went to Chicago as the offensive coordinator.

the worst of it is, they weren't required to say anything.  Just tell people they can look while you sort your search out. 

BTW - http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2015/02/15/49ers-notes/

(pretty clear who's pulling the strings)

There have been multiple, persistent reports, mostly from people close to Gase, that Gase was all but offered the 49ers job during that face-to-face with Baalke, except for a few details.

So how did this all blow up?

According to an NFL source, Gase and Baalke did indeed come very close to an agreement for Gase to replace Harbaugh, down to the details of his prospective coaching staff, and Gase understood that his choices for the coordinator spots were approved.

Tomsula’s name was not involved in the discussions with Gase about the defensive coordinator slot, I was told.

Then, the next morning, after Baalke flew back to the Bay Area, things changed: Gase, the source says, was informed that he could only have the job if he made Tomsula his defensive coordinator.

No Tomsula, no offer.

Gase turned that suggestion down flat, and that’s when the 49ers immediately tabbed Tomsula as the head coach to follow Harbaugh.

So when Tomsula tried hard to hire Gase as his offensive coordinator, the answer was no way–and Gase went to Chicago as the offensive coordinator.

Saw that.  I don't know how they thought that was gonna work.

Of course, Dan Quinn was...more flexible.

Archived