• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam is going to get paid

SgtJoo

With Suh getting the money he got and all these massive QB deals we would have to be spending around 40+ million a year on just Keek and Cam if we lock them both up.

I'm sorry, but if Cam's numbers decline again and we miss the playoffs I don't see why avoiding paying him 6 years 120 million would be such a bad idea. I love Cam, but I love the Panthers more. And I'd hate to see this team get in salary cap hell again just because we overpayed for a QB we shouldn't have.

Of course, I hope it all works out and we end up keeping Cam. But I'm prepared for the possibility of losing him.

This. Im sorry, Cam is good but im still not comfortable with saying hes 140 plus million good. Hes similiar to Jay Cutler in a lot of respects and looked what happened to him.. He got benched for Jimmy Clausen.. Jimmy Fuggin Clausen for god sakes.

Even if he didn't want to be here and was tagged, he isn't going to help his market value by playing like poo.

He will work his butt off because you are playing for your next contract, not your current one.

At this point there isn't really any indication that he isn't happy or doesn't want to be here long term so I think you are fretting over imagined ghosts

Or he's just doing a better job of being a professional. Early in his career you could clearly see he wasn't happy

With Suh getting the money he got and all these massive QB deals we would have to be spending around 40+ million a year on just Keek and Cam if we lock them both up.

I'm sorry, but if Cam's numbers decline again and we miss the playoffs I don't see why avoiding paying him 6 years 120 million would be such a bad idea. I love Cam, but I love the Panthers more. And I'd hate to see this team get in salary cap hell again just because we overpayed for a QB we shouldn't have.

Of course, I hope it all works out and we end up keeping Cam. But I'm prepared for the possibility of losing him.

Kuechly is a MLB, so his contract will likely be in the 11-14 mil/year range

This. Im sorry, Cam is good but im still not comfortable with saying hes 140 plus million good. Hes similiar to Jay Cutler in a lot of respects and looked what happened to him.. He got benched for Jimmy Clausen.. Jimmy Fuggin Clausen for god sakes.

That's the first cam to cutler comparison I've heard and for good reason.

He reminds me more of Big Ben than anyone else currently in the league.

So what's your alternative then?

Please don't say Derek Anderson.

Unless you want to suggest that we let Newton walk and proceed to draft a new QB every other year. That sure is working well for a number of the NFL teams. Cleveland, Jacksonville, Washington, Tennessee, Houston, Oakland, Buffalo, NY (Jets).

This is incredibly dumb. Even by your standards.

The only way Cam and Cutler are similar is they both have big arms and sometimes they rely on that too much, which messes up their mechanics. It's a bad habit but it can be worked on.

So what's your alternative then?

Please don't say Derek Anderson.

Unless you want to suggest that we let Newton walk and proceed to draft a new QB every other year. That sure is working well for a number of the NFL teams. Cleveland, Jacksonville, Washington, Tennessee, Houston, Oakland, Buffalo, NY (Jets).

This is incredibly dumb. Even by your standards.

Honestly I don't know. No it's not Derek Anderson. However if everything we've heard about what Newton will get paid is true, then I doubt Gettleman resigns him. Paying a decent quarterback a ton of money whose yet to prove he's worth it (I'm talking 20-25 million a year) can have just as disastrous consequences as trying your luck with someone else.

My main point is that I am very prepared for the possibility Gettleman lets him walk, and I would understand his decision.

Honestly I don't know. No it's not Derek Anderson. However if everything we've heard about what Newton will get paid is true, then I doubt Gettleman resigns him. Paying a decent quarterback a ton of money whose yet to prove he's worth it (I'm talking 20-25 million a year) can have just as disastrous consequences as trying your luck with someone else.

My main point is that I am very prepared for the possibility Gettleman lets him walk, and I would understand his decision.

Gettleman has already plainly stated that Newton is our franchise quarterback, and that a deal will get done.

Then it would have happened by now. If it was "gonna get done" then what is the hold up?

He didn't say it was going to get done now, lol.

The entire point is that he has already plainly reiterated when asked about it that it is something that will get done, eventually.

These comments were just made in like February I think.

You actually think if the deal were to get done that it would happen that fast?

Calm your tits man. It's the weekend.

Archived